Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
It's flu shot time!
laura2gemini2 posted:
So today was flu shot day at my work, where anyone who wants to be immunized can be at no cost. I've gotten my flu shot every year for the past 10 years (ever since a radio commercial played that said "if you have diabetes and get the flu, your chance of dying is higher" and scared me to death).

Also, my insurance has started pushing me to get my pneumonia vaccine as well, but I always thought those were ment for seniors. I've decided not to get that one yet for a few years.

How about you guys?

Take the Poll

Are you planning on getting a flu shot this year?
  • Sure!
  • Heck no!
  • Maybe, I havent decided yet.
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DavidHueben responded:
I got mine yesterday at CVS.

DMH

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

phototaker responded:
Laura, I put up this same posting days ago with a poll, in case, you're interested!

phototaker responded:
Oops...it was two weeks ago I posted this. You can look at the poll results. I also got my pneumonia shot, too.

DavidHueben responded:
There really is no rational reason to not get the flu shot. I have read countless accounts (here and elsewhere) where people claim to have gotten the "flu" after the immunization.

That is impossible since the shot is an inactivated (killed) vaccine.

Yes, some people experience soreness in their arm, aches and pains, and low grade fever after receiving the shot, but that is not the flu. Goes away in a couple of days.

Get the immunization!!! It saves lives each year.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

phototaker replied to DavidHueben's response:
David, I even asked the person giving me my flu shot at Kaiser about people who say they've gotten sick from the flu shot. She said it does not cause the flu.

I do believe people have gotten sick during the time they got this flu shot. I DO believe some people are allergic to the latex or was it eggs? They have you read this sheet and ask you if you're allergic to certain things. I feel if I got sick two years in a row getting the shot, I also would not want to take it again.

For ME, when I get the flu, I get REALLY SICK! I can't even get out of bed to take care of myself, so it's well worth it. There's no one there to take care of me, either.

DavidHueben replied to phototaker's response:
I have to believe that most people who are allergic to eggs or latex know that before getting the immunization.

Those questions are clearly asked on the consent form. If you answer yes to either question, then don't get the shot.

If someone wants to explain how they got the "flu" after the immunization (an inactivated vaccine), I am all ears.

DMH

- Winston S. Churchill

phototaker replied to DavidHueben's response:
People HAVE explained this before, like Betaquartz and others.
Sometimes allergies come on later in life. What you could have eaten before, you might not be able to eat now.

You don't know you're allergic to latex all the time until it happens.

ami_nix responded:
My job offers the flu shot for free and one day a year they actually have people come in and give them. I've already gotten a flu shot this year because my son is too young to get one.
Noah's Mom~"Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." - Robert Fulghum

laura2gemini2 responded:
I always have a reaction to getting my flu vaccine, but its relatively mild. It always makes me run a small fever (100.5 this year) and feel like someone is squeezing my stomach, but the reaction goes away in about 4 hours. The dr thinks I may have a slight allergy to something in the vaccine, but not enough to cause anaphalaxis.(please forgive my spelling)

This year I got smart and took a low dose aspirin (after the dr suggested it) and I didnt feel nearly as bad this time as all the past years.

biosafety_guy responded:
Regretfully, diabetes makes one susceptible for greater morbidity and mortality from a host of illnesses, pneumonia being one. I had the pneumo vax a few years ago - unlike the flu it is NOT annual. For a diabetic, the recommendation is every 6 years.

So, roll up your sleeve and get your vaccinations. A little needle stick is far better than getting the flu or pneumonia.

jpconway451 responded:
I've gotten my 39th flu shot this year.

dlgroves1951 responded:
I get sick from the flu shot every time I've had one. I have had the pneumonia vaccine and I believe that it has helped alot.
I'm an ex-smoker and used to get chest infections two or three times a year.
Since the PV I'm good to go for three plus years now...

Bettyj2u2 responded:
Not NO, but HE** NO!! My mother took one of the Flu vaccines years ago...and it almost KILLED her, and I suffered almost as much as she did, just *watching* her suffer and feeling helpless because I couldn't do anything to help her!

I would rather risk getting the FLU than take something that will GIVE it to me! So, for those of you that DARE...you can have MY share...THANK YOU!

laura2gemini2 replied to Bettyj2u2's response:
But, there is nothing in the flu vaccine that is able to give you the flu. The virus they use is dead, and is unable to infect people.

By chance could she have gotten the flu at the same time she got the shot? Sometimes you could be infected with the flu without showing symptoms around the sime time you get the vaccine.

Corrolation does not equal causation.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.