Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lab A1C vs. ReliOn Home A1C Test Kit
DavidHueben posted:
Yesterday, I had my A1C tested in a professional lab (PRL). I received the results today from my PCP. The PRL result was 4.9%. Immediately after the blood draw, I went to the hospital's cafeteria and conducted the ReliOn Home A1C test.

After the blood samples had dried (30 minutes), I slipped it into an envelope and dropped it in the mail. I should have the ReliOn results in the next few days.

I will comment on the testing procedure with the ReliOn kit and the outcome when I receive their results via e-mail. About 48 - 72 hours after receipt.

DMH

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

mhall6252 responded:
David - thanks for doing this test. It will be very interesting to see how the results compare to your lab results.

Previous online reviews claimed that this test kit produced relatively accurate results, probably because you do send it off to a lab. It was very generous of you to purchase this kit so that you could perform this comparison.

If the results are accurate, it could be a help for those who just can't afford regular lab testing. It's not, however, intended to be a substitute for regular medical care.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

phototaker responded:
Thanks for doing this, David! It should be interesting seeing the results.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Will be interested to see your results; has anyone tried the Bayer A1C Now home test kit? Laurie

flutetooter replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
I use the Bayer A1C Now home test kit about every three months to check up on myself and activities such as travel, illness (Lyme's disease), longer term stress (such as hubby in hospital), major changes in diet, and more intense exercise over a period of time. My lab A1c is done only once a year with my yearly lipids and other blood values for my annual physical. It is always within 1/10 of the Bayer test -- for example 5.4 vs 5.5 This is close enough for me.

I buy the kit which contains materials for two tests for $25-$30 at Walgreens or Walgreen on line with free shipping. I also buy my own meter and my own strips (those I buy on line from Amazon .com) and then I don't have to bother with justifying extra testing through Medicare by sending in all my readings for months. They would pay for only 1 strip a day and only if my numbers go up into the full blown diabetic range. Testing more often helps me to keep my numbers much lower than that without going too low for safety driving for me or feeling dizzy.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

DavidHueben responded:
I found the Bayer home A1C kit to be unreliable. I used it twice at home and once at a Walgreen's free diabetes screening. All three tests using the Bayer kit were close to one point lower than the professional lab testing.

Plus, with insurance, the lab A1C is $6.00 out of pocket vs. $15.00 for a Bayer test.

I will continue to have my A1C done every three or four months in a real lab.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.