Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes
bronnerl posted:
As a solution for managing my sugar and losing about 20 pounds, I'm thinking about "not" eating meat and only concentrating on fruits and veggies while adding fish two or three times a week. Has anyone taken this approach and been successful?

flutetooter responded:
Use CAUTION with this mostly carbohydrate approach to diabetes and losing weight unless you are very experienced in vegetarian or vegan eating. Remember that diabetes is a disease in which your body does not process carbohydrates normally, thus flooding your body with excess sugar.

Changing to all carbs as a first approach seems unwise IMO. There are many people here to do well with less meat, but their carb choices include a huge proportion of raw veggies, salad, low glycemic fruits, cooked non-starchy veggies, nuts, protein powder, etc. It is not a "beginner's" diet and there are many sites and community members that will help you manage this approach.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel57 responded:
I agree with flutetooter completely. You need some type of protein in your diet daily to properly nourish your body. You would benefit by talking to a nutritionist, dietician or a Certified Diabetic Educator (CDE). IMHO, you may find that your Diabetes is more difficult to control if you follow your planned method of eating.
Blessings,

Dave

betaquartz responded:
If your goal is mainly about losing weight and lowering your blood glucose levels, there is a better way of doing it. Try cutting your white starches completely. Use whole grain starches on a very limited basis. Use a plate that is divided into 1/2 veggies, 1/4 or little more lean protein, and the rest starches like sweet potato, or whole grain pasta etc. better yet, add more veggies and forget the starch. The veggies will supply your carb needs, and needed vitamins while the protein will slow the protein digestion, and supply needed materials for muscle repair needed for the exercise you should be doing in conjunction with the diet.

barb10562 responded:
meat is not the culprit unless u also have high cholesterol too. My diet is mostly protein and very little carbs and Im doing fine.You probably have to watch the fruit as they have alot of carbs too.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.