Skip to content
Carb counting 101
barb10562 posted:
The past few morning my pp readings have been around 180 which I know is not terrible but I dont like them that high so I did a little slewthing. I like to have a piece of carb counting bread along with ham or turkey or an egg for breakfast but the readings were high so I added up the coffee mate I use and it was 6 for that and 8 for the bread plus the gummie vits are around 4. My total for the mornings are 18-20 no wonder I had high readings! We really have to count for EVERYTHING that goes int our mouths huh? This morning I didnt eat bread and my reading was 152. Much better!

davedsel57 responded:
Barb,

Is your coffee creamer powdered or liquid? The powdered stuff is mostly just dried oils loaded with bad fats and carbs. The liquid stuff is a little better. There are sugar-free varieties of the liquid creamers that taste pretty good. My favorite coffee creamer would be simple half-and-half or whole milk. We used to buy individual creamers called "Mini-Moos" that were very low in fat and had no carbs, but I have not seen them in the stores for a while.

You are absolutely correct that we need to count everything we eat because everything counts.
Blessings,

Dave

flutetooter responded:
Right on about counting everything that goes into our mouths. I do best when I limit my total carbs for a meal to 15 grams, and for a snack, less than 10 grams. I do eat many small meals a day, but keep under 100 grams for the whole day. The smaller meals allow my remaining beta cells to produce enough insulin per meal so as not to spike.

It is hard to understand how so many posters can eat 45-65 grams of carbs in a meal. Maybe they are mostly eating to cover their meds so they don't go low. Eating more protein and good fats and less carbs than many people eat allows me to maintain a body mass index of 22 and still have enough food and nutrients to keep a healthy body and energy.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

DavidHueben responded:
Barb:

I guess every person is different. Initially, I was pretty anal and counted and recorded everything I ate in a spreadsheet.

My A1C at diagnosis in June 2005 was 6.6% and every result in my lipid panel was above normal.

Two days ago, my A1C was 4.9%, my total cholesterol was 124, my LDL was 30, my HDL was 86, and my triglycerides were 30.

I have lost 100 pounds since my diagnosis. I attribute most of my success in controlling my diabetes and lipids to that single factor.

I no longer count everything. It is sort of intuitive now. I am certainly not perfect nor do I intend to be. Two days ago I had pizza for dinner. A great choice? Of course not. But, there is more to life than being a health fanatic .

I choose to be a common sense person who enjoys eating and having an occasional splurge. I see nothing wrong with that.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

auriga1 responded:
Absolutely, Barb, counting is essential if you want to maintain control. Some of us respond strongly to carbs than others. Some of have more insulin resistance than others and a pancreas that is not fully functional. That's me; both of those.

For me, it's essential to carb count because of insulin use. That's how the dosage is calculated. One UNIT of insulin to every carb I eat. That's just the rapid-acting insulin. I still have to use a basal insulin, because my doctor thinks I produce little to no insulin.

If you keep your ingestion of carbs to a minimum your pancreas may not be so stressed. Just a suggestion. Everyone is different.

Just like Flute, I don't understand how some can eat so many carbs. I would be a blimp and using far too much insulin. If there's a way to work off that many carbs, more power to them. I really don't want to spend my day working out four hours a day, seven days a week just to eat that many carbs. That's what I would have to do.

I was an uncontrolled diabetic at diagnosis. My diabetic team had me count everything I put into my mouth and that included tasting foods while cooking. You have to count that, too, believe it or not. LOL. Really not a laughing matter, as everything does add up.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.