Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do you listen to when you exercise?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've got kayakers, dancers, walkers and yogis here. A great variety of exercisers to poll!

WebMD just posted videos of Michelle Obama answering questions asked by the Let's Move! online audience. In one video,the First Lady reveals what's on her iPod.

So what's on your playlist when you exercise? Do you work out to music, nature, silence or other?

I listen to "classic" rock when I'm walking. Yoga class is listening to myself grunting and groaning as I try to master the plank!

Haylen

laura2gemini2 responded:
I listen to loud rock music and musicals. I know, weird combo. The loud rock music has a beat I can walk to and lets me keep my mind blank as Im walking (and I take that time to meditate). The musicals have songs that make me happy and that I can sing along to.

DianeR01 responded:
When I walk I listen to mostly rock, sometimes in the mornings I listen to a syndicated radio show out of LA

If you ever looked at my iTunes, I am all over the place. I have everything from classical to zydeco and everything in between.
accelerate out of the corners

DavidHueben responded:
Queen, The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Ted Nugent, The Who (Tommy, The Rock Opera), Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Presley, Tina Turner, Cass Elliott, The Three Tenors (Domingo, Carreras, and Pavarotti). And many others.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

kieub responded:
My main form of exercise is hiking in the woods and mountain trails. Therefore I only watch and listent to wildlife sounds: bird calls, wind rustling leaves, and if near the ocean when in Maine we (my husband and I) love to walk along the shore trails and listend to the ocean. We do not talk much during these walks. But when not going out I workout at the YMCA near home. In this case I meditate when on the machine (rowing or biking or treadmill). I do not own an iPod or any thing like it.
At home, I listend to classical music.
Kieu

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to DianeR01's response:
Laura, I love that combination! Queen probably counts as both! Diane, which show out of LA? I bet I can guess
David, you are a man after my own heart. My 3 year old's middle name is "Presley"

H

DianeR01 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Mark & Brian of course! and I don't want to date myself but I remember spending a Sunday night in '86 or very early '87 listening to the last night of KMET. One of the best radio stations in the US.

I am a couple of hours SE of you Haylen. I lived in Northridge in the late 80's.
accelerate out of the corners

brunosbud responded:
This morning...The Middle East

Here, have sum; enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2f1AMeqXo

betaquartz responded:
When I am kayaking I listen to nearly nothing. You see my hearing aids come out when I get out of the van. I would not want them to get wet. At the same time though I have enough hearing range to listen to the cry of the eagles, and herons, to hear the boats on the lake, and the splash of the wake against the hull of the kayak-all of this is enough for me-solitude.
When biking, I am pretty much the same just listening to the sounds of the city or of nature.
When in the house on the Total gym or on the treadmill I am usually watching TV. This actually increases my exercise time because I am focused in two manners.

Hootyowl2 responded:
Usually, I am working in my garden or walking on my property, so I listen to nature sounds and try to ID the birds I hear. I still cannot tell the difference between a tree frog or a cricket, they sound so much alike to me. I do not own an ipod thingy or even a walkman... Indoors, if I have music on, it is either traditional Christian music or Classical. Occasionally, I listen to other music, but never any of this modern junk. I just dont think of it as "music" at all. [more like a caca-phony to me.>

Hooty

betaquartz replied to Hootyowl2's response:
When I retired, some of the money I had in a 403b from the retirement went to hearing aids, I guess I have missed so much all around me that an ipod seems distracting. I could never afford them before, so when I retired I could? Doesn't make sense to me-last few years were rough constantly asking to repeat or not hear something etc. For a teacher that wasn't productive.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.