Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
This Message Baord
cookiedog posted:
I took a break for a few weeks and only read here occasionally.

I have come back this morning and am sorry to see the same old discussions are still going on and on and on.

Is there any chance we could try to get back to discussing diabetes prevention and management? I am not interested in a chat board where we discuss our personal problems over and over again. We seem to be in an odd place on this message board.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, cookiedog.

I fully understand your sentiments. I have been a member of WebMD for over 8 years. What you are seeing here is the nature of any community (exchange, forum, whatever term is being used). We are first and foremost humans who happen to have Diabetes or back pain or high cholesterol - whatever the specific community is geared toward. I seriously doubt there is any message board on the internet that does not have discussions regarding off topic items.

Personally, if all that was discussed in any community on WebMD was the main topic, I would cease to be involved. I enjoy sharing with others and getting to know them by discussing what is happening in their lives other than the main health concern.

Recently I posted that I've often heard the comparison between members of any community (internet message board, social club, church congregation, etc.) and gemstones in a tumbler. The members, like the gemstones, rub up against each other, or interact, smoothing off the rough edges, polishing the surfaces and facets, and eventually creating something that is beautiful.

I am active in four WebMD communities - Back Pain, Pain Management, Alzheimer's and this Diabetes community. I enjoy offering support as I can based on my own experiences, and gaining support and knowledge in return. I do not always agree with all members and sometimes do miss the old 'ignore' button very much. We all need to show each other as much tolerance, compassion and understanding as possible. Then we will all one day be beautiful gem stones.
Blessings,

Dave

Anon123567 responded:
I agree. I wish the webmd wo9uld bring back the feature that allowed us to block posts from certain members so that we could streamline what we see when we log on

Anon_1092 responded:
Hi cookiedog,

It is good to see you again. I think many of us have had the same frustration. I have been thinking about this and instead of walking away and giving power to those who have been frustrating us, maybe we should be posting appropriate points for discussion and ignoring those who discuss their specific and personal problems over and over.

my thoughts

Hootyowl2 responded:
The oldsters who left did so because this board has become cold and impersonal and ONLY diabetes. That is why I never went back to the heart boards. It was very cold, depressing, and clinical and no life there at all. This board used to be a great community, and a family that cared. Well, people sometimes still 'care' about each other. The ones who want only diabetes have killed this board too.

HOOTY

MrsCora01 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
I'll add my 2 cents. I haven't posted as much recently but it's for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I just don't feel qualified to answer - especially some of the T2 questions as they don't pertain to me as a former T1. I think that the diversity of the board is great and that other topics are fine - especially since every day life can affect your blood sugar tremendously. But I think the biggest problem is the level of drama that seems to come and go. I don't believe that support can or should be unconditional. I think that if you are looking for support - you need to take the advice to heart, as that is where it is coming from in the first place. The unnecessary drama is part of what keeps me from posting many times too. Overall I think it's still a good board as it is active and folks don't get overlooked - there is always someone to answer.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betaquartz replied to MrsCora01's response:
Cora, hooty, cookie, and dave,
I heartily agree with so much of what you have to say about the atmosphere of the community. It does cover a wider range than diabetes, and it does get so dramatic at times. We also find individuals that come here looking for straight forward honest help, and I believe they get very good and strong information/support. We also have those that come here as a whining ground demanding attention, and those to get support and succor from members of the board. It is always hard to separate one from the other when you don't see a list of postings on a header. I find myself skipping many posts because of the first poster, then going back to see what is relevant. I too find that at times I get off subject, but some things erk me, and others I can't keep my mouth shut about!

dustnbones99 responded:
I agree with Hooty. If i want nothing but information on diabetes i can find it easily in any library and i know how to do research. I'm more concerned with real life stories about coping with it and life in general. I've been a member for a long time, since at least 2001, and over the years i've seen a lot of drama. I did leave for a while, a couple of years, but it was mostly because the board increased my anxiety rather then helping me to lower my stress levels. I'm starting to wonder if being an active member here is a good idea.

Hootyowl2 replied to dustnbones99's response:
Hi Dusty,

I am always glad to 'see' you here. At least a few old friends still pop in sometimes. I have been here since mid 2003.

I understand that people need information and help with diabetes. However, no two of us are alike with our diabetes or other medical issues, so no answer is 'one size fits all'... That is why there needs to be room for individuality and off topic conversations at times. One can always put OT by such posts and those who wish to ignore them can do so. But we also had fun posts, as laughter helps relieve stress. Dusty, do you remember Gordon, or Flash as he sometimes went by ? He is still around, and emails me regularly. We used to have fun with his C-130 stories and what we would do to the terrorists in Iraq and what not... lol. He liked to tell us about his place which he calls the Turnip Patch. We had a lot of fun, as well as learned a ton about our diabetes.

I learned more about diabetes here than I ever learned from ALL of my doctors and health care providers combined. If all a person wants is diabetes info, a websearch will do more than a support group.

Hooty

auriga1 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Applause!!! Yes, Hooty, I have learned so much here, too. . I came on in 2008 to ask a simple question regarding lows and exercise. I'm a little out of the box with being diagnosed as a Type 2, being underweight at the time and promptly put on insulin. I still gained a lot of insight reading what others go through whether they just "do" diet and exercise or diet, meds and exercise. There are few Type 2's on insulin, but they are certainly out there. There is no other community I have found where people share freely. I know there is drama at times. You read what you want, you reply "post" when you feel you have something to say.

You can't make everyone happy, though we all would like everyone to be happy.

Hootyowl2 replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga, I am also on insulin, and since I am diabetic, I prefer insulin. The pills made me deathly sick, and did nothing at all to help my blood sugars. If one has to be diabetic, then insulin is the way to go in my books. Since I no longer work, my sugars are much better, and I have been able to decrease my insulin dosages. My last job was extremely stressful, and came close to killing me. By the time I got my doctor to rx the insulin for me, my sugars were in the 400 range and that was with the pills and watching my diet, etc. My doctor then dx'd me as IDDM, or Insulin Dependent Diabetes Miletus.... According to my research that is a T1, not a T2 as my original dx was... I think the first 'doc' just totally messed up there.

Hooty

Kate10056 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hello All,

I step in and out here as life allows, sometimes I get involved in other things and dont log on. I have been keeping tabs on occasion. I don't post every time because I feel that there are others who have given better answers than I could. Its fun to read up on how those that I have dubed my "friends" are doing and It's great to read someone's post who I have not seen in a while and to know they are alright.

Yeah Drama, it happens whenever many people of differing ideologies get together. I feel this forum deals with it in a fairly adult manner and doesn't allow it to get out of control.

I will always be thankful for the lovely, wonderful folks of this community for allowing me to voice my worries, get wonderful advice and support when I was first diagnosed. This is why you all are here. Plus, its not just about the disease, its how to live with it and feel normal. This place is needed in all its facets, even the drama sometimes.
People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-Abraham Lincoln

auriga1 replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hooty, thought I would never say it, too. LOL. I wouldn't think of doing anything else but insulin. Totally agree with you that it is the only way to do things if you can't get your sugar under control. My diagnosis was "uncontrolled diabetic." What a moniker! My A1C is now 5.8. Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. My average daily sugar used to be 393. Can sympathize totally with you. With my sugars that high, it was impossible to do much of anything because of being fatigued contantly from those high numbers.

My doctors dismissed the idea of oral meds, thinking that would never do the trick. I was immediately put on insulin. Ah, well. So glad you're back to the "normal." LOL.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Great points. I believe positive attitude and a genuine heartfelt commitment to help and support others will carry our community to a better place. I'm up for that!

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.