Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
B G count.
rocketbob posted:
I have been on metformin a little over six weeks since having determined that I am type two. Not once have I yet tested in the acceptable range of 70 to a hundred which is no doubt due to my as yet un-mastered diet. My question is when, for example, my BG is 186 two hours after a meal should my next meal either be skipped or contain no carbs whatsoever in order to drop the BG 12 hours later?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Skipping a meal is never advisable for a Diabetic of any type. Your next meal should be eaten when hungry and be best comprised mostly of lean protein and vegetables. Yes, keep the carb count down at that meal. Metformin does take time to start working in many people. It may benefit you to discuss all of this with your doctor asap.

You would benefit by seeing a nutritionist, dietician or Certified Diabetic Educator (CDE). The type of professional will help you learn what to eat to help control your Diabetes.

Exercise is also important, You should be trying for at least 30 minutes of regular activity such as walking each day, if possible.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm This area of WebMD contains excellent information that will help you understand how best to control your condition.
Blessings,

Dave

MrsCora01 responded:
Keep in mind too that the 70 - 100 you want is fasting and after meals you want to be below 120 - 140. So you are not that far off - just need some tweaking.

As the other poster said, don't skip meals as you will likely cause your liver to dump glucose in the absence of food and your bg may rise even more.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

rocketbob replied to davedsel57's response:
Thanks for the imput. I didn't skip a meal and two hours later my BG was down even though my fasting count later was up again. I have been for over a week exercising putting in two and a half miles each morning on a stationary bike that has thus far gained me four un-needed pounds. Nonetheless, my goal is five miles a day and continued adjustments in my diet to bring my numbers down. Should nothing change over the next two weeks then I should probally check with my Doctor. Again thanks for the imput. This has all been quite an adjustment but I am sure there are plenty of others having a much harder time with this than I.
Fired up
Rocketbob

auriga1 replied to rocketbob's response:
Rocketbob, I saw Dave's post regarding a dieticien and/or CDE. Have you seen either/or? Most will give a range of carbs to eat at a certain meal. We are all different, so you can't go by what someone else eats.

For example, my dietician said 35-45 grams of carb per meal is dufficient. When you see that number, it doesn't seem like a lot. Some foods contain so many carbs, i.e., potatoes, breads, pasta, that a full serving size of one of those would add up or surpass that number I stated. 1/3 cup of pasta is 15 grams of carbs. Did you ever see 1/3 cup of pasta or potatoes? LOL. I think it might be two spoonfuls. Don't think one would be able to get full on that.

You just might be able to reduce the amount of carbs you eat at each meal and see your numbers coming down. Very good idea to mention it to your doctor.

I commend you on your exericse plan. That's great. Not only will you bring your numbers down, but you're making your whole body fit along the way. Way to go!

phototaker responded:
Hi Bob...exercising every day is GREAT! You're probably building some muscle, which weighs more. Keep doing that.
If you are overweight, as you drop the lbs., you'll see your numbers coming down, too.

Absolutely, like others have said, keep your carbs lower. Your FOOD is what will make your numbers come down, so what you choose to eat will make a big difference. I do a ton of exercise, BUT if I don't eat correctly, my blood sugar numbers go up. I'm not on medicine right now, so I have to be so much more careful. For ex., when I ate out at a restaurant with a friend last weekend, we ordered a fish dish with double vegetables, and no bread. We also did a lot of walking that day.

Go to Calorie King.Com to get ideas of how many carbs are in certain foods. Fruits do have sugar and carbs, so stick to berries, cantaloupes, rather than bananas, grapes, pineapple.
It's confusing at first, but read labels on boxes in the store, to see how much the total carbs is listed. That includes the sugar I believe.

It will take a little time, but will get easier as you ease into a routine.

rocketbob replied to phototaker's response:
Hi everyone....its been three weeks since I last posted. Three more weeks of daily execise where I have increased my bike milage to 5.6 miles each day and two weeks ago added resistence training on the universal gym. This is in addition to my bird like diet which has thus far resulted in a whopping weight loss of 1/2 a pound and no real change in my average BG numbers since being diagnosed labor day. Everybody says I am looking better but the fact is the worst contender on the biggest loser is doing better than I am. For example, my bg at 3 AM was 137 and 150 by AM. Then two hours after a bowl of cereal and 35min's of exercise it was 207. Yesterday eating the same breakfast and doing the same exercise it was 124. Its at moments like these I hate my diabetes. My vison seems worse in the mornings and I read in another forum where someone else had a dropped foot as a result of diabetes. I had foot drop one summer 11 years ago. It went away after several weeks of bike riding. Now I wonder if I could of had diabetes then. Regardless, I know from these forums others have had a harder time getting their numbers under control so I am not about to be overwhelmed as of yet. I would like to know if any others have had foot drop related to their diabetes. .....Thanks for hearing me out... noy ready for lift off... rocketbob

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.