Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I eat that Halloween chocolate bar?
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:

Halloween means chocolate treats in my household. My wife and I let the kids eat plenty of chocolate and other candies tonight after "trick-or-treating".

I really have mixed feelings about chocolate. Do you feel "mixed" as well?

I wrote a blog about chocolate for diabetics a few months ago...

Chocolate is one of the world's most prized flavor sensations, and most people who are interested in healthy eating have a vague notion that chocolate might have health benefits. For example, this WebMD article published a few weeks ago reports on the combined results of 21 studies with 2,575 participants showing that cocoa consumption is associated with decreased blood pressure , improved blood vessel health, improvement in cholesterol levels , and improvements in diabetes risk factors such as insulin resistance .

Unfortunately, the role of chocolate in disease prevention has proven to be complicated and controversial from both medical and ethical standpoints.

See why here...
http://blogs.webmd.com/life-with-diabetes-2/2011/04/chocolate-for-diabetics.html

Your thoughts????

Take the Poll

How do you feel about chocolate?
  • I can't imagine a life without lots of chocolate!
  • I like chocolate, especially dark chocolate
  • I like chocolate, especially milk chocolate
  • Chocolate is fine but I could live without it
  • Chocolate is not important to me at all
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Anon_74671 responded:
all things in moderation!

nwsmom replied to Anon_74671's response:
I LOVE dark, high-cocoa fat, bittersweet chocolate...don't like milk chocolate at all. I consider it an essential food group, and usually have about 1/4 ounce per day.

mhall6252 responded:
I had one small Reese's Peanut Butter Cup last night. My preference is dark chocolate...but i like peanut butter, too. And I also like things like nuts, raspberry or strawberry with my chocolate.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

mrscora01 replied to mhall6252's response:
I like orange with my chocolate too. Terry's Chocolate Orange. Yum! But I like Reese's as well. Those are my 2 favorites. I believe you should always take the occasion (rare) to treat yourself. It's good for the soul and the occasional indulgence will not hurt you.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 responded:
Chocolate is fine. I don't crave it or don't think about it often. I do have it in the house and I hide my favorites from the rest of the household. I prefer Ghiradeli and Dove or some unknown brands of Swiss or Belgian chocolates. The Halloween candy is usually Hershey's or Nestle's with a few Mars chocolate thrown in there. That kind of candy is highly processed and not at all tasty for my tastebuds. I know, snobby chocolate eater. LOL.

mhall6252 replied to auriga1's response:
Well, I would never turn down a piece of Godiva or Christopher Elbow (an artisan chocolate from Kansas City). Someone gave me a box many years ago for Christmas, and I ate one piece a night for weeks!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001

betaquartz responded:
I eat a small square of 72% or more dark chocolate every day, my only true treat. Do I need it? No! Do I enjoy it? Definitely!

auriga1 replied to mhall6252's response:
Mmmmmm, might have to try and find if that artisan chocolate shop delivers. LOL. Connoiseur of fine chocolate.

mhall6252 replied to auriga1's response:
http://www.elbowchocolates.com/about/shipping/

They ship!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001

auriga1 replied to mhall6252's response:
Woohoo!!! Thank you so much, Michelle.

Over the years, I have developed a fondness for certain candies. The stores will stock them and poof! They disappear. I have resorted to online shopping. And these storefront retailers wonder why they lose business. LOL.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
I favor the taste of dark chocolate over milk chocolate. I'm particularly enthusiastic about fresh fruit dipped into dark chocolate. Pineapple, strawberries, and banana are my favorites.

mhall6252 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Oh yeah, me too! I have ordered edible fruit arrangements for my grandkids a couple of times for Easter, rather than sending candy. They loved it! Several of the pieces were dipped in chocolate, although I'm not positive it was dark chocolate.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001

reitze replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I like chocolate and eat it too. HOWEVER, I was VERY surprised at how much sugar content is in chocolate, even the chocolate chips that go into cookies. Its nearly pound for pound sugar.

So with awareness that chocolate = sugar I eat it in moderation and enjoy it for a treat. Sure twinky diets are possible but good nutrition is best.

I like the sufix of this quote:
"all things in moderation, especially moderation". Like if you're feeling like you've reversed type 2 and want to see how well you can handle a glucose load-test, go ahead and eat a whole pound of chocolate or one of those super-size candy bars (snickers!)... test yourself every 10 minutes after eating it and see what your curve looks like.

The effects (hysteresis in the BG#) of a single "glucose blast" is actually measurable that way - I've done it lots of times. Like in my profile graph if I was averaging bg at 200 and did that, my bg only went back to 205 or so. Sure that's below the accuracy of the test-device, but done enough times and conscious enough of carbs doing the same thing... its more than just a perception and that KNOWLEDGE actually does support reversing Type 2 via diet. Health wise a big sugar blast like that might make me tired for a while if I noticed anything at all (I don't really).

betaquartz replied to reitze's response:
I eat one piece of dark 72% or better a day. Serving size is pieces, 19g carbs, 11 sugars. Seems like to me my daily ration is only 5 carbs and 3 sugars at the most. Not testing that. Don't test as long as I stick to my diet. Yeah, I think I could go off and eat whatever, but staying tight means I won't slide.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.