Skip to content
Stressed.
rocketbob posted:
Hi everyone. I hope all had a good holloween. I allowed myself one half an almound joy which didn't seem to make all that much difference in my BG. In fact it would seem that little has made a difference for after nearly two months since being diagnosed my fasting count weekly average has pretty much remained in the 130's inspite of daily exercise, some weight loss and what seems to be a bird like diet. My lowest numbers are always two hr's after breakfast and they have never been below 111. My concern is that if my next A1c is not significantly lower than the 7.4 I began with then my doc might change my meds from medformin to something more exspensive. Also, tommorow and for probally the next six weeks I will be working on a Christmas play (building and painting the set) in which 72 kids will be very un-happy if I am unable to finish it. That last play I built this spring was death on my feet. I would hobble at the end of the day and I think it was at that time my diabetes really kicked in though I didn't know it then. However, everyone says I look much better and I do feel much btter since my diagnosis so I am hoping these next few weeks go well. At 58 I really shouln't expect to work like I am 25 but I can't always get that thought off my mind. So I welcome any advise even though when all is said and done the show must still go on...Waiting for lift off..Rocketbob.

mhall6252 responded:
Rocketbob,

Welcome to the community. I don't know how long you've been diabetic - I am getting the sense that this is relatively new for you. If I am correct, it seems you are doing OK. I recommend you continue doing all the things you are currently doing to get healthy as it does take some time to get glucose back to a normal range.

Please talk to your doctor about target ranges for fasting and post-prandial (two hours after eating) numbers.

In my opinion, with your numbers where they currently are, you should be ok working on the play set. Use common sense, don't overdo it as if you were 25, take care to eat properly and keep hydrated, and you should be able to complete the project and make those 72 kids very, very happy!

For additional guidance on diet, exercise and steps to reverse Type 2 diabetes, check out Dr. Dansinger's recommendations (see his picture and links on the right side of this page).

And keep coming back for lots of helpful tips.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

rocketbob replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks for the feedback. I was just diagnosed over labor day weekend while in the ICU for another condition caused by a tick bite. Have worked on the show the last couple of days with no problems. I sometimes forget how much better I have become since being diagnosed. I was very sick from the tick thing and I am sure being diabetic probally added to it. Thanks aain....rocketbob.

flutetooter replied to rocketbob's response:
Were you diagnosed with lyme disease from the tick, and were you also on doxycycline? I am bitten by many ticks each year (living in the Indiana dunes with lots of deer) but had always managed to remove them before the two-three days being attached to you which is the amount of time it takes for the bacteria to take hold. I was actually diagnosed with lyme (and tested positive with two tests) BECAUSE my blood sugar had gone up and the doctor and I were looking for reasons. It went up 10 points for fasting and the A1c was up a couple tenths of a point. After three weeks on doxyclycine and more time to recorer a bit from the lyme disease, the blood sugars are black down to their previous levels.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

rocketbob replied to flutetooter's response:
Thanks flutetooter for your responce. I can't recall what the doctor said that tick gave me which resulted in a septis infection but it was definitely not lyme disease. I too live in the heart of deer country up north beside Superior's shore and have to look out for ticks all the time. Never was fond of them and even less so now.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.