Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
meals for 12-hr car ride
cbv0413 posted:
was recently diagnosed type 2. we are driving to pittsburgh for thanksgiving, a 12-hour ride. i'm open to advice for meals and snacks that can be eaten in the car since we intend to stop only for gas.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

reitze responded:
Are you on drugs? If so I have no idea what to tell you. But if you're using diet-only to reverse the diagnosed high blood gulucose #s, check my profile for how to beat it in about 6 months.

I started with 3 months of Atkins-like which day-by-day reduced the BG#s (see my graph in profile). For fast food that was double-cheese burgers w/o the bread. Amazing the calories I ate when I was doing that (prolly 7-8000/day).

After 3 months Atkins with BG averaging below 150 the food-selection-attention turned toward calories - and reduced 75lbs... (I still weigh 50lbs less than started). The key in the calories approach for me was GRADUALISM. Like gradual changes ARE SUSTAINABLE.

To truly reverse type 2 IMHO its mostly a process of brain-over-food-control which includes finding the truth of it too. Of course everyone is unique and there are good/bad Drs like any other profession.

DianeR01 responded:
Hi,

You have lots of options since this is not an ongoing event. You may use a meal replacement shake/bar such as Slimfast or Glucerna or my new favorite is greek yogurt. Hi protien and even the stuff with fruit is reasonable on carbs.

Peanut butter on whole wheat travels well or they have peanut butter in single serving packaging which you could eat with veggies for a snack. I use snack sized baggies for portioning out nuts for snacks so I don't over do them. My indulgence snack is peanut butter filled pretzels. In my own twisted way I can justify them because there is protien and carbs all in one!

Chicken or turkey wraps should pack and travel well if you have a cooler and some ice packs. Do you take a lunch to work? What do you pack then? Make sure you are able to keep hot food hot and cold food cold to stay safe from food born illness.

Have fun and safe travels.
accelerate out of the corners

candy352 responded:
I say take a cooler, make some wraps and different sandwiches. Maybe even some peanut butter and jelly. Or peanut butter crackers. We are also taking a road trip to PA and we are doing the same thing. We only plan to to stop for gas. Bring some fruit for snacks. Don't forget lots of water. If you like coffee, buy a travel mug, refills are a lot less cheaper than buying another cup of coffee.

betaquartz replied to DianeR01's response:
Diane is right on here. Think of the foods that you like that are low carb, higher fiber. Make up baggies of these, or other containers to take along. Use a cooler to keep the cold stuff cold and fresh like vegetables, cold meats etc. Use low carb count breads-sandwich thins work really well. Walk every time you stop for gas, or restroom. This helps to metabolize, and work out the kinks.

Have a safe trip to my home state!

DoloresTeresa replied to reitze's response:
Reitze, how long have you been diabetic? Are you on meds? What is your fasting sugar?

Dolores

mhall6252 responded:
It really won't be so hard. As others have suggested, make some low carb higher protein based sandwiches or wraps, peanut butter or cheese and whole grain crackers, cut up veggies, some fruit (apples, oranges, berries), some nuts, little cans of tomato juice or V-8 if you like it, a thermos or bottles of water. You can also find some relatively low sugar snack bars for real convenience. Eat a good meal before you leave and you'll be fine. I travel by car all the time and it's never a problem.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

reitze replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
see my profile. no meds. Average fasting BG=100. 4 years ago a BG test at from a family member during thanksgiving 2007 my BG was 417. With food-changes only it was down below 150 in 3 months, normal again in 6 months.

I've been non-diabetic for 3 about years. And by that I mean that I avoided nasty food for long enough that my normal tolerance to that sort of thing returned. At the same time I became aware of how bad for me SOME foods are - like bread = chocolate in terms of how its processed by the body.

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Lots of good advice above.

My favorites:
Turkey slices, chicken breast, carrots, pickles, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, bell pepper slices, celery with peanutbutter, apples, clementines, light yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, tuna with light mayo, calorie-free beverages. Some people might also chose trail mix (nuts and dried fruit), bananas, turkey jerky, diet jello cups, sugar-free candies/gum.

You have recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I hope you will have many more questions we can help you with.

Michael Dansinger, MD

reitze replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I just watched "Fat Sick and Almost Dead". It reminds me how many different and valid approaches there are. AND depending upon where you are in your personal approach, you might be juicing or - following DTD, or Burnstein, or that 600 calories diet... Some are extremely challenged - others more like me - a few adjustments, procrastinate food... time... (oversimplifying on purpose)... and "back to normal". BTW, Thanksgiving was very nice and I had 3 or 4 pieces of pie. Ever since the REVERSAL I can consume food like before without re-instigating my type2... all that's necessary for that is <2500 calories and common sense on nutrition (2000 good stuff, 500 bad stuff). I'm a gradualist in my approach, others go at it like quitting smoking cold-turkey. Looking back I was keeping myself way-over-fed (was the cruix of the challenge I had). Good luck and do give us an update.

DavidHueben replied to reitze's response:
The name of the video is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead".

Having four pieces of pie seems excessive to me. You recently called someone "insane" for having 60 grams of carbs in cereal. I can assure you that your "pie fest" had way more than that. More like 150 grams of carbs (2/3's of which were sugars). Doesn't seem real "gradualist" to me.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

teddybear200 replied to reitze's response:
One dumb question? Why would you even think about let alone eat like you did before diabetes? Just because you think you can doesn't make it okay.

I am in remission - I would not eat or promote eating the bad stuff as you put it. 3 to 4 pieces of pie is not a healthy way to eat. Get eating the way you do you should and will go back to being a diabetic. Good luck on your diet - it differently is not for me. I do not allow for 500 calories of "bad stuff", let alone all the high carbs.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

reitze replied to DavidHueben's response:
lol, yea "insane" to have a sandwitch or 60g... the words overly strong to express that idea - sorry... but yea if active 60g is a glucose blaster.

As far as my pie fest, well sure it was a lot of sugar/carbs/etc. A real glucose blast. HOWEVER, I'm RECOVERED from type 2 and this sort of moderated moderation aka an indulgence isn't that unusual for me.

Neither is a 2000 calorie meal on a given day with nothing else the whole day or even day and a half.

When I first learned I had active type 2 I was emotionally attached to the glucose blasters and was doing that to myself way more than I realized till I read burnstein's book and implemented some while watching BG numbers reduce, etc... And spacing those out enough was my method to moderate them - while having NEVER QUIT.

In an example of similar-style about ME is I still smoke about 1 cigarette per month - non-filtered. It's quite a "buzz" and a little nausiating and then stinks a while... so I don't even want to do it more often.. and have "smoked" like that since tapering off of a 2 pack/day smoking routine in the early 1990s. So I never had to quit smoking but did check myself in terms of how I enjoyed the products. Same with certain foods like PIE. Hope that helps the perspective and thanks for asking (and no the gradualist approach isn't for everyone just like biggest looser approach isn't either).

reitze replied to teddybear200's response:
Good questions and points. What I can say about me is that I've never had to go 100% good calories nor give up the occaisional glucose blasters. I did have to give up CONSTANT glucose blasters - and figure out what those sources were via my test meeter because the advice and books was conflicted info at best (bread was quite a surprise to me).

Again my initial conditions of Type 2 don't seem to have been as extreme as many 417 thanksgiving 2007, 350avg when I got the meter, and below 150 withing 3 months, wt-loss completed the recovery for me --- and the psych of wt loss via gradual change gave me a "confident lock in accomplished sense".

I have noticed that I can eat carbs/sugar every meal while staying within 2500 calories/day and not re-induce type2. When I was in that condition I had myself locked into that state primarily via over-eating habits that were entrenched by my lack of awareness of what were in the food choices, what choices to make and why... test meter rescued that for the sience-minded-me.... babbling on now... hope it helps...

again for me the "maintenance need" that I've observed my last 3 years of "recovered" is 2500 calories/day with about 2000 of that good nutrition, That includes 2 or 3 light beers/day too, and a bite of .... and... a...

reitze replied to reitze's response:
Someone who worked high up in the NIH once said to me:

"All things in moderation, especially moderation".

My posts don't advocate indulgence or overindulgence but they acknowledge them as expressed by this quotation. Well on the other hand I guess they do sorta express a sorta french-food mentality I got from a year in Montreal.. High fat tasty stuff --- indulged in flavor and then satisfied. I noticed myself with crappy chocolate tending to eat and eat going for that mmmm chocolate till fustrated or out of chocolate VS 1 small piece of very good chocolate - mmmmm done.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.