Skip to content
Do all type 2 diabetics need to take insulin shots?
JennaWalters posted:
Or can some less severe cases regulate their type 2 diabetes with diet alone?

laura2gemini2 responded:
It all depends on a lot of factors. If your pancreas cannot make enough insulin then yes, you would need insulin shots. A lot of type 2 diabetics initially do control their diabetes with diet changes, then oral meds if necessary. Unfortunately, for some people diabetes progresses even further and they do end up needing insulin shots. Or sometimes their pancreas cant keep up with insulin needs from the start and they start with insulin. But, this isnt something that is considered a *bad* thing, just something you need to stay healthy.

betaquartz responded:
I have been without meds for two years. Not long, but my Dr. says that as long as I continue with the lifestyle changes I have made that I won't have to take medication in his opinion. So I think glass half full. I may end up on meds, but the longer I can stay away from them the greater my chances of having to stay off of insulin and its problems. I eat well, eat healthy, exercise frequently, remain positive and love my life.

auriga1 responded:
Most type 2 diabetics do not take insulin injections. Many can manage with diet and exercise alone. Others will need to add medication to the diet and exercise. Then there will be the few who need to add insulin to control their numbers.

Few can manage by diet alone. Exercise is a very crucial factor to help those muscles utilize the glucose running around in the bloodsteam.

My case is I need insulin. I've been told my pancreas does not provide sufficient insulin, if any at all. Familial trait for me.

jrbdad responded:
Type 2 diabetic for nearly 2 years now (probably longer and didn't know it). No meds here - but I've lost 90 pounds and exercise regularly. I've found that if I limit my carbs and exercise -- my blood sugar levels are just above normal.

Exercise really helps -- both strength and cardio.

Hoping to keep off meds as long as possible.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.