Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
T-2 is Reversible - Report from Newcastle University.
aby_99 posted:
A Newcastle University team has discovered that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed by an extreme low calorie diet alone. Affecting two and half million people in the UK — and on the increase — Type 2 diabetes is a long-term condition caused by too much glucose, a type of sugar, in the blood.

In an early stage clinical trial of 11 people, funded by Diabetes UK, all reversed their diabetes by drastically cutting their food intake to just 600 calories a day for two months. And three months later, seven remained free of diabetes.

Professor Roy Taylor of Newcastle University who led the study and also works for The Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: "To have people free of diabetes after years with the condition is remarkable - and all because of an eight week diet.

"This is a radical change in understanding Type 2 diabetes. It will change how we can explain it to people newly diagnosed with the condition. While it has long been believed that someone with Type 2 diabetes will always have the disease, and that it will steadily get worse, we have shown that we can reverse the condition."
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DoloresTeresa responded:
Dr. Fuhrman who wrote Eat to Live, has reversed diabetes on at least 1600 calories using his diet of lots of salads, greens raw and cooked, mushrooms,onions, eggplant, tomatoes, some oatmeal, and fruits and beans etc. No meat or dairy or fats or oils except he does allow an ounce of nuts or seeds if you are overweight, more if not. You can reverse your diabetes if you starve yourself. Do you want to do that?

Dolores

rocketbob responded:
What seems clear to me is that few could live and thrive for long on a 600 cal. diet and if so it also seems clear that those who remained free of a diabetic condition after 8 weeks must also have maintained said diet. A true reversal of diabetes would meanI the diabetic could return to their pre-diabetic diet and lifestyle with no resultant rise in blood sugar or return of other systoms. I have not seen any replys on these boards confirming such an event just as I have yet to see a true alcoholic return to sucessful social drinking. Unlike alcoholics, however, the disease of diabetes will progress irrespective of the victims belief. I personally choose not to wait till I have lost a few toes and my sight before I accept their is no cure as of yet for diabetes.... However bitter the taste may be nothing is sweeter than the truth....Rocketbob.

brunosbud replied to rocketbob's response:
"...A true reversal of diabetes would meanI the diabetic could return to their pre-diabetic diet and lifestyle with no resultant rise in blood sugar or return of other systems..."

To return to a pre-diabetic diet after reversing diabetes would mean only one thing...

You've succeeded in reversing "intelligence".

DoloresTeresa replied to rocketbob's response:
I agree. I do not agree that there is a cure--just good control. Just like an alcoholic will say he is a recovering alcoholic. AA members do not say they are cured. My fasting blood sugar numbers have been normal for twenty years but I do not think for one minute that I can revert to the SAD and not have numbers climb.

However, it is possible with the help of a good diet and exercise and weight loss to maintain low numbers and to avoid the horrible complications.
And who knows? Maybe we are luckier than someone who is not now diabetic but is eating his way over the years to diabetes. At least we know what our problem is, face it and do something about it.

Dolores

mhall6252 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hmmm...I am 5'2" and weigh 120. I don't think I'd last very long on a 600 calorie diet. And I'm highly doubtful that it would reverse my type 2 if I were to live through it.

I find a 5 month study (2 months of diet and 3 months of followup) on 11 people to be rather insufficient. How are these people doing 12 months, 24 months, or 60 months later?

I don't think it's "news" that if you take obese people and have them lose a bunch of weight, they will have improved glucose control. I believe this has been well-documented.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

hootyowl2 responded:
They used to starve all diabetics to treat it... Read up on the history of diabetes treatments. Personally, I do not believe that starvation is the answer to diabetes. I think a person should be careful of their diet, but starvation is NOT the answer at all.

Diabetics are NOT supposed to skip or miss meals, it can cause extreme low blood sugars and death. Your brain cannot function without glucose, and 600 calories a day is very extreme. Maybe someone should put those so-called scientists on a starvation diet ???

Hooty

DoloresTeresa replied to hootyowl2's response:
You can reduce calories, exercise and lose weight without starving yourself and thereby control your blood sugars. This doesn't happen over night. But there must be something more to the mechanism of what is happening. People who have bariatric surgery immediately go off insulin and have good blood sugar numbers. It is true that at least initially they are eating very little but the plunge in blood sugar seems to be immediate.

Dolores

brunosbud replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
The following article tries to explain the work of Dr. Francisco Rubino and his studies on the effects of Gastric Bypass surgery and Type 2 Diabetes. It's fascinating reading and illustrates that, even today, there's still many questions that remain unanswered as to the exact mechanism of how the surgery affects change in patients reaction to insulin.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/08/24/is-there-a-surgical-cure-for-diabetes.html

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
As a side note, I've managed my diabetes, sans medication, through a somewhat modified Gerson diet (no coffee enemas)...

Heavy in antioxidents, low in sugar, predominantly plant based, liquefied...

I convinced my best friend to see a dietician who, coincidentally, happened to be a Gerson advocate.

He recommended almost the very same diet as mine to assist in her treatment of Stage 4, Colorectal cancer (liver mets; 70%).

After 60 days, her liver tested at normal functioning levels, HDL increased 20% and she has reversed her chronic anemia. Her A1C dropped from 5.5 to 5.1. She is presently able to walk 2 miles without rest...Her primary physician told her she has never witnessed a recovery like this, before, in her 20 years of practicing internal medicine.

Caution: She has completed 4 mnths of drips and will undergo a Sir Sphere Radioembolization at the end of this month. In other words, her diet is in addition to standard, accepted medical therapy and protocol.

In summary, we have starving ourselves, risky surgery and drinking liquid green goo.

Take your pick...

betaquartz replied to brunosbud's response:
In summary, we have starving ourselves, risky surgery and drinking liquid green goo. And then you could just be sensible about it, cut out the starches, eat more veggies, lean protein, snack on fruit and nuts and exercise more. I think of the alternatives the last works best - - - - for me!

laura2gemini2 replied to brunosbud's response:
I never thought of bariatric surgery as "risky". The center I went to for mine has less than .5% mortality rate for all types of surgery they did there (and they did 4: lap band, sleeve, roux en y, and duodenal switch).

auriga1 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Those bariatric patients do seem to have an immediate response after the surgery. So immediate, that it just can't be lack of calories. There must some other physiological response to this particular surgery. They are nearly the same weight right afterward. So what initiates this immediate response?

When a diabetic loses enough weight, the blood glucose levels improve. Those bariatric patients haven't lost the weight that gives them this immediate response. Baffles the mind.

I don't think the scientific communicty really knows - yet.

laura2gemini2 replied to auriga1's response:
I did some research (and talked to my surgeon). Apparently they are finding out that bariatric surgery causes an increase in the bodys production of a hormone called GLP (glycogen-like polypeptide I believe). That causes the liver to slow down production of glycogen, thereby dropping a person's need for insulin. This is still preliminary, but showing promise

auriga1 replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Makes sense. I'll have to read up on it because it piques my curiosity. At the moment, I can't figure out WHY it increases the production of that particular hormone. What harmony makes the body run. LOL.

Thanks, Laura.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.