Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Foot Pain
    mombear946 posted:
    I have started having foot pain. It is not burning or pins and needles, they are just achy. The left one is the worst, with achy pain in my instep. Also my heels hurt too. I don't think I wear the right type of shoes. I told my doctor and she wants me to have a muwscle enzyme test but I said no I'm not having some expensive test done beccause my feet ache. I have no cuts, blisters, cracks, etc. No reallly dry skin. BTW what is a good cream for my feet.

    Thanks for your help.
    phototaker responded:
    Are you taking statins, cholesterol medicine? Maybe that's why the doctor is asking you to take the muscle enzyme test. Statins can cause damage. Ask your doctor "why".

    Also, I'm a dancer, and used the balls of my feet a lot with spinning. I had the wrong shoes. I had to stay off them while they healed. I now wear very comfortable shoes from Naturalizers to Merrills. I have my feet diagnosed by a sports specialist. You need to check them out. Our feet are VERY important, and a cream is not going to make them feel better. You want to be able to walk!!!! Spend the money and find out what's wrong. Spend a little more on a comfortable shoe. Take care of your feet! You don't want to make them worse. I've given up heels for the most part. I only wear my "pretty" shoes, once in a while for an important occasion. I wear special "dance" shoes when I go dancing. I was told I would never dance again. Here I am 25 years later still dancing zumba 4x a week for almost an hour, and going out ballroom dancing once or twice a week. That's because when they were injured, I did everything the doctor told me to do to get them better. It was the balls of my feet, too. As we get older, the pads on the balls of our feet get worse. Check out some of these shoes. You won't be sorry!
    mombear946 replied to phototaker's response:
    I know cream won't make them feel better but I know I'm supposed to use a good one to prevent dry skin. It's my heels that hurt mostly besides the instep. Would those gel inserts help.
    phototaker replied to mombear946's response:
    Your "best" bet is to see a foot doctor(if you don't want to take your other doctor's advice...AND if you're not taking statins), and find out "exactly" what's wrong with your feet. If you're not willing to do that, then you really don't know how to make them feel better, spending money on gels and other things. I would invest in "one" good pair of shoes. I was going to suggest one with an arch, but I don't know exactly what's wrong with "your" feet. This is one of the most important parts of your body. Ross, Marshalls, TJMax, and other discount stores have Naturalizers. Try them on, and see if they're comfortable. Merrills are like wearing support slippers. They're expensive but feel so good on the feet. I know others will have suggestions. The cream won't help them stop aching.
    mombear946 replied to phototaker's response:
    By foot doctor do you mean an orthopedic doctor or a podiatrist. I may make an appointment with an orthopedist, but am making an appointment with my PCP this week (can't get into to see my endocrinologist until February!!!) and I am going to ask his opinion.
    phototaker replied to mombear946's response:
    Yes, Mombear...I think it would be a good idea to have your feet checked by a specialist "before" you spend money on shoes, creams, and other gel like items. Mine happened to be a sports specialist, as well as well as one who knew feet really well. He told me exactly what I needed. He DID tell me that I would never dance again, but I was VERY CAREFUL for months until it healed(the pads of my feet). I didn't dance all that time. As my feet got better, I only went out once a week. I also bought special shoes, and never walked around barefoot in the house. In time, my feet got better. I make sure my tennies are good for my zumba. I don't jump or hop in zumba, doing most things on the ground. I only dance where they have a raised floor that protects the feet more, not on cement.
    I walk on grass when hiking, not on cement as much, either.
    I miss heels, but have a very short one for dancing(special lightweight dance shoes), and not as pretty walking shoes. I sometimes wear my zip up Merrill or Naturalizers for walking in San Francisco or on trips. I rest my feet when I can. The ONLY real trouble I have is on long plane trips. My ankles swell up, so I have special open sandals to wear on cruises, as I normally can't fit into my regular shoes, except some Merrill sandals and dress sandals, that are open and comfortable. Good luck! I think you're smart to find out the "why" your feet are hurting.
    nwsmom replied to mombear946's response:
    mombear, phototaker means podiatrist. They are far more knowledgeable about foot problem than are most M.D.s!
    perki60 replied to phototaker's response:
    have the same problem. i go to a podiatrist and orthpedic surgeon. The e-rays showed nothing from medical doctors office. It has to be digital from computer to see the best pictures, which is what the podiatrist used. possible you may have spur on heel, or ganglion on heel or need arch supports. if you are on medicare and are a diabetic, you can get the right kind of shoes free, wide toes, much support and the right support for the foot the whole length of the shoes.
    cookiedog responded:
    I am currently seeing a podiatrist who specializes in foot care for diabetics.

    I have your exact symptoms. Bad pain in my heel and also an ache in my arch. It turns out I have plantar faciitis , You may want to be checked for this.

    It is fairly common.

    Helpful Tips

    Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.