Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why are we all here?
smip posted:
Hey all. It's been quite some time since I signed in last. I came here today because I received a phone call from a very dear friendamee so I decided to peek around the boards to see what was up.

Just wanted to remind folks that we all come here because we have a common ailment by the name of Diabetes. We either have it, or know someone with it and want some answers.

Sometimes in such a diverse place with a multatude of personalities... sometimes folks clash. And when they do they can upset the balance of the community. I just wanted to put my two cents in. We all may not see eye to eye on different issues but diverisity is what makes these discussion boards a good place to go. To get different views from different folks. The minute we upset this balance with pointless bickering it can drive away those folks that really need the support from folks like us.

Constructive critisicsm is sometimes a good thing if one can post the facts and where they got the facts from. Even though we may not agree with those facts... someone does AND those facts MAY just be a great help to someone who needs it. But we have to remember... these boards are only our OPPINIONS and our oppinions are not to be substituted with our doctors orders. HOWEVER... if you read something that you are conflicted with or want to try.. make sure you discuss it with your doctor first. Or if you read something that you may think is wrong, or you disagree with it... it doesn't hurt to discuss the disagreements with your doctor to see what he or she thinks.

Remember... diabetes is a very diverse disease. It treats everyone differently and the treatments vary with different people. What might work for one, may not work for another.

One thing I do know for sure is if we all start to bicker and say hateful things to each other then we take a chance of loseing someone that may really need the support that these wonderful forums give us. Try to treat each other with the respect that everyone deserves.

I have met some WONDERFUL folks on these forums. Some we keep in touch either by phone or email. And yes... even my dearest friendamee keeps in contact with me via phone. One whom I thought hated my guts at one point was one of the first to call me when my health was very bad to wish me well. I will never forget that.

So why are we here?? We are all here because we needed some answers or support. I really don't know what else to say except to please, PLEASE be careful of what we say to each other. I am one who is guilty of being a "big mouth" at one time and it drove away some VERY decent folks who really needed help. So please don't be a me....The one person that may bother you here the most just may be the first to come to your rescue when you need it.....

Smip
FirstPrevious12NextLast

phototaker responded:
Welcome back, Smip!

MrsCora01 responded:
Nice to see you smip. Hope you are doing well.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

teddybear200 responded:
It is a pleasure to see you again. Drop by more often. Deb
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

auriga1 responded:
Wonderful to see you, Smip. Wonderful and thoughtful post. Thank you for that.

Come and visit often. Next time you talk with DMH, tell him I said HI. LOL. Nevermind, I got his number!!!

amanda2581 responded:
welcome back smip my hubby has one of those machines in his back like you had done,slipper

smip replied to amanda2581's response:
Yes. That spinal stimulator does help out alot. Less pain pills the better.

smip responded:
It's really nice to see old names here. I do miss everyone alot. It's also nice to see alot of new name here too. Hope I get to know you all better in the future.

teddybear200 replied to smip's response:
BTW Smip I love the new picture.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

mhall6252 responded:
Welcome back!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

reitze responded:
Hi Smip,

I liked your post except this part: "But we have to remember... these boards are only our OPPINIONS and our oppinions are not to be substituted with our doctors orders..."

Having personally had a problem with a DR and seeing systemic drug-1st mindsets that align with maximized drug sales, its my OPINION that Drs are dangerous. Some are great, others terrible.

Discernment of what you're getting from any medical advice IS important, regardless the source. Like you outlined I concur that's a big-value here where folks like us can disagree and let our links and stories provide our POV for others to decide. I like that the profile pages feature a "my story" section.

And most importantly, why am I here? I'm here to help others REVERSE TYPE 2 - LIKE I DID, and sustain it for the rest of their lives like I've done for over 3 years. My motives are sorta like tything for my religion. I believe in reversal for the mild challenged with terrible eating habits like I had.

Mainsteme medical blogs on this topic have notoriously kicked people off when they shared positives (only 4 posts got me a perma-ban on diabetes.com for (I said its reversible and linked to DTD)). This one appears to be doing quite well on that level IMHO.

soapster1949 replied to reitze's response:
Not everyone can reverse their diabetes. Type 2s that are insulin dependent may never be able to reverse their diabetes. I think we walk a thin line here when we tell people who have been just diagnosed and are scared witless as it is, not to trust their medical team.

Just as there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" treatment for diabetes, doctors cannot be lumped into a particular grouping either. Self education is a very important part of any diagnosis. An informed patient is one that can discuss their diagnosis with their doctor intelligently and make a decision as to whether or not their doctor is right for them or if they need to make a change. I find the more pro-active I am with my own treatment, the more my doctor is to listening to what I have to say and the more likely she is to discuss her treatment plan in detail with me.

betaquartz responded:
Sorry I don't recall you smip-but welcome back to the community your input is highly welcome with the moderating attitude. Just a little personal opinion and history here.

Refused metformin when diagnosed 2 yrs ago.
Numbers now considered normal on the 6 month tests.
Don't test myself.
Strict diet and exercise-High veggie,lean protein, very little starch.
Follow glycemic index and load guidelines for food selection.
Not and never obese.
No family history.
Poor habits and overwork probably brought T2 on.

All of this said I recognize that everyone of us is different. I can not fault anyone who follows a good diet, exercises, and tries to beat the medication loop. However, if they are trying and cannot-who am I to criticize. At the same time those that come here for a quick cure, and are not interested in the discipline that this entails are in need of help, but I doubt that anything we say will help them. I also recognize that today I may be able to be without meds and be healthy, but that as I age, I may end up taking medication to deal with the beast. Until that day comes I will keep the beast at bay with understanding based on knowledge, discipline rooted in strength of character, and collaboration with my loved ones and peers,

Denial741974 responded:
Smip, I understand what you mean, I tried very hard to read but I can with my learning disability and mental issues, I left the group for a while because, there were your popular people, your wise people and your series people. I could not take it anymore. I was gone for three months since that day I found a new therapists he been treating me very well every week to see a different picture and light. I've been trying to improve my exercise.eating the same but more where what I eat. I'm 145 now I gained some weight and some reason I can't lose it anymore. I'm 37 now and still trucking away.
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

mhall6252 replied to soapster1949's response:
Oh how I wish there was a "like" button!!! Like, like, like!!!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.