Skip to content
flu and virus with diabetes
lisalu33 posted:
I GOT THE FLU TODAY AND MY SUGAR STARTED AT 290 THIS AM (FASTING) I ATE NOTHING AND HAD JUST ONE GLASS OF SUGAR FREE ORANGE SODA TODAY. MY SUGAR JUMPED TO 390. THIS WAS AFTER I VOMITED 4 TIMES. I WAS EXTREMELY DEHYDRATED.

IS IT NORMAL FOR YOUR SUGAR TO GET SOOO ELEVATED DURING A FLU AND VIRUS EPISODE?

Hootyowl2 responded:
Yes, that is very normal. Even though your sugars are so high, you need to keep hydrated and try to eat something lite.

You need a 'sick day plan', and to keep items on hand for such occasions. Things such as tea, gatorade or other electrolite replacement, crackers, jello, chicken soup, 7 Up or Sprite, etc. Diabetics are not to skip meals. It is hard when your food will not stay down. Granted, a full meal will not do; however, you need to sip or nibble lightly until your stomach settles.

You need sugar and protien to keep your sugars on an even keel. Your body cannot live without glucose, and skipping meals makes your liver kick out more sugar into your blood. It can also cause your blood sugar to crash to dangerous lows which will kill you much quicker than a high number will.

Ask your doctor what he/she wants you to do when you cannot keep food in your stomach. How soon should you go to the ER or call him/her about it ? What about your medicines ?

Your numbers will return to normal after you begin to feel better. It could take several days depending on what is ailing you.

Other things that can raise your blood sugars: pain, stress, infections, skipping meals, some medications such as cortisones. There can be other causes.

Hooty

Anon_74671 responded:
vomiting is a symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis..

do you have ketone strips (checks for ketones in the urine) if your blood sugar is high and you have a high level of ketones and you are vomiting you need to seek medical attention ASAP

Hootyowl2 replied to Anon_74671's response:
Yes, vomitting can be a symptom of ketoacidosis, definitely seek medical attention immediately if your sugars are high, usually over 400, but why take chances.

Hooty

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.