Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Big Bucks, Big Pharma: Marketing Disease and Pushing Drugs?
reitze posted:
Someone mentioned this topic has been discussed here before but it seems to have been before my time here. So here it is - as described in this movie:
Big Bucks, Big Pharma: Marketing Disease and Pushing Drugs BTW, I have family/friends who are in the medial industry. A good friend is even a pharma-sales rep. He comprehends the conundrum, and is going through job-loss uncertainty over the new HCR changes. As we concluded a recent conversation... "its nice to see you get the idea, but then what can you do about it" (as in that was unanserable for both of us, me in engineering, and him in pharma-sales).

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
One of my blog posts dealt with the topic "Are Diabetics Overmedicated?" which I concluded as follows:

"It is very easy for health care providers and patients to rely on medications to get the numbers in line, without paying due attention to lifestyle change . The drugs can easily mask the problems that could be and should be addressed by lifestyle change. It is important to recognize that this is a very different situation than when a patient is making concerted lifestyle efforts, and seeing good results, but the health goals are still not being met.
Lastly, I would just like to acknowledge that we often use drugs and other treatments that have little or no benefit as reported in USA Today. Pharmaceutical companies sometimes exaggerate the benefits and downplay the risks of their products, and may do so via the design and interpretation of clinical trials that doctors, patients and the FDA rely on to assess the risks and benefits of drugs. For example, the makers of the diabetes drug Avandia have come under fire recently for unethical practices that were intended to downplay possible safety risks.

reitze replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Thanks Michael. I think your point about patients "MAKING concerted lifestyle efforts"... - I'd like to add we need more contribution toward that understanding/ motivation/ implementation coming from Drs than what we often see which is also financially most motivated.

The movie above was similar to a number of health-via vegies themed recently. Like "Forks Over Knives" I just saw too. I was shocked at how amazed the Drs were in that movie while people reversed and eliminated their health problems yet their Drs feared reducing their medications for conditions that were gone. That part was shockingly revealing - either brain-dead or dishonest - IDK but sad to think my grandmother might get subjected to that sort of "Overmedication" rather than the truth about her "sweat-tooth".

reitze replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
"It is very easy for health care providers and patients to rely on medications to get the numbers in line"

That reminds me of "House Of Numbers" where HIV doesn't cause AIDS, but treatments do. I did a drudge thread* on that where I concluded there isn't any proof of causality and than significant population statistics are needed to establish causality beyond simple correlations and further stated that there further needs to be effecacy validation of the treatments (ie: double-blind proof, and 100% certain testing rather than field-screening-antibody-tests, etc)... like the movie said after the ridicule from the mainstream.

BTW, that's yet another movie pointing toward dietary malnutrition manifesting in a "chronic health condition".

reitze replied to reitze's response:
In Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, Joe Cross reverses an autoimmune related chronic rash (looks like many T2 people get) and also helped someone with migrains and a T2 person who he met on his 60 day fasting journey. IMHO it looks alot like "The DTD Program" by McCulley.

In Natural Defenses in Preventing and Treating Cancer , Dr David Servan0Schreiber describes a similar diet-based solution to cancer as well as cancer prevention.

It was an interesting muse that cancer = but 1 more manifestation of excessive sugar with inadequate nutrition. Similar to how many toxic chemicals (eg: VOCs) manifest in one of 25 ways according to individual exposure and individual characteristics. (many VOCs in amines break down to Formaldehyde - as in sick building syndrom, etc).

hmmmm, 600 lbs of sugar per house per year

In this context, its worth mentioning the best "crash course" I've seen for those considering their health in a state of crisis. I can only say I've personally implemented part of it to reverse my T2 from a BG average of 350 while reducing over 50 lbs. That's because I was already reading other research like Bernstein to get a similar impression for what to do when I needed too. Also I never felt a need for a "crash course" but more simply an "optimizing course" where I learned my way choice by choice and procrastenated eating or finishing and so-on. YOU CAN DO IT! Here's the best resource I know about so-far (though their blog on FB is IMHO an info-mercial-mess):

[a title="Link: undefined">Death To diabetes - (test results)

DoloresTeresa replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Re: Doctors using drugs and treatments that have little or no benefit. Most doctors rely on drug salesmen and drug manufacturer ads to choose meds for their patients. As Dr. Dansinger points out, benefits are often exagerated and risks are downplayed. The doctor is cheated and the patient is cheated. Add to this the fact that often a doctor's hands are tied because most patients simply will not use lifestyle change and insist on a drug to solve their problems. Doctors are culpable if they do not spell out the lifestyle change necessary. It isn't enough to just say eat healthy and exercise. What is healthy? How much and what kind of exercise.

With the number of patients a doctor sees it is just about impossible for him to take the time necessary for patient instruction in lifestyle change. Maybe there should be someone in the office who is in charge of doing just that.

Additionally, it takes 6 to 8 years to get a degree in Pharmacy and pharmacists graduating nowadays hold the equivalent of a master's or doctor's degree. Pharmacy hasn't been a 4 year degree program since 1963. So how could anyone reasonably expect a doctor who must keep current in his own field (primarily diagnosis) to have the same knowledge as a pharmacist when prescribing? When I was in school, I heard many pharmacy students and professors say that a doctor should diagnose and a pharmacist should prescribe.

If I am prescribed a drug, before I fill the prescription, I look it up on the net or the PDR to discover side effects, contraindications etc. On more that one occasion I have called the office to ask for a change in prescription. For example once I read that the antibiotic the doctor prescribed should not be used by diabetics. Everyone should take an active part in his own health care.

Dolores

reitze replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Nicely said Delores. Surely from the Individual, the Dr, the Pharma companies, there is enough opportunity to "blame" but it seems more like "willful ignorance" than anything directly hurtful. There ARE forces that encourage that to continue too - possibly even in the schools and corporate employment settings for Drs/Pharmasitst/etc.

However, there is also a better story for everyone working together - and I for one hope that gets accomplished as these blogs seem to help. It may not be favorable to established businesses/products - but with better health I for one hope that the great resources can reapply their credentials in more and more optimal ways. EG: from "Dr Pusher" to "Dr Good".

After all Drs, pharmacists, and yea even engineers like me have knowledge and skills to contribute - and they SHOULD be able to merge the useful info to benefit everyone. Of course capitalism has its challenges on that level - so thanks for technology/blogs there's hope there too.

BTW, I just saw Forks Over Knives. It was excellent. This video appears like one of the authors? and covers very similar concepts via a slide-show-presentation... it advocates plant-based-diets while pointing out many "hmmmm" things like calcium.

Food That Kills - Full Documentary

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.