Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Just Diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic
shadowlite posted:
I was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes with a strong family history of diabetes. I am at a healthy weight and eat pretty well already. So I am wondering if this could be because I inherited it or because my exercise regimen is inconsistent. How important is heredity in determining whether or not someone goes from pre-diabetes to diabetes?

phototaker responded:
There is really no one answer for this, Shadowlite.

My suggestion to you is to listen carefully to the pre-diabetes warning, and start doing something NOW! I didn't, because I was very stressed in my teaching job, working long hours, and not eating as healthy as I could...WITH no exercise. I knew I had a family history, my mom and grandmother both had diabetes, as well as my mom's sister. I had been very healthy, exercising and eating the right foods for years, but this one year, I ate fast foods and did no exercise. I had candy in my classroom, too, that I would eat as I worked on school stuff. I ended up getting diabetes...with my weight gain of 18 lbs.

Now, I'm exercising every day, and eating much more healthy.
I was able to stay off medicine for four years, being REALLY CAREFUL. I started eating a "little" more when I was exercising heavily in zumba. I "just" started Metformin a few weeks ago. This is a disease that you have to keep on top of.
You can't depend on medicine or anything to keep your numbers lower. You need to take a diabetes class(they have them at some local hospitals), go see a dietician for guidance,check labels and carb levels, AND exercise. Find something you love. I love to dance and swim, so I do swim aerobics, zumba(4x a week), and ballroom and other dancing.
I also hike on weekends sometimes with my photography. Start now! Calorie King.Com has carb levels on line, so you can get an idea of how many carbs you are eating at each meal. Talk to your doctor or a dietician on how much you need for each meal. I stay within 35-45 carbs, which may be a lot for some people. Snacks...10-15...You might be able to hold off getting diabetes full blown if you take care of it now.

Good luck!

phototaker replied to phototaker's response:
I see you said you're at a good weight and eat healthy. That's good. Check out what you mean about eating healthy though.
You might be having too many carbs at one time. Sometimes,
no matter what you do, you still get diabetes. It's how well your pancreas is working. You might need medicine at some point.
IF it's just tweaking what types of foods you're eating, you might be okay for a while.

shadowlite replied to phototaker's response:
Hi Phototaker, You gave me a lot of good advice and information. I have already started making changes, like exercising more and being more aware of carbs. I'm hoping I can have a better reading in 6 months.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE replied to shadowlite's response:
Hi, congrats on taking action now! I have recently begun using a web site called sparkpeople www.sparkpeople.com , to track my eating habits. It's trackers (there is an exercise tracker too), are really easy to use and will help you see how many calories, carbs, and other nutrients you are eating each day. If keeping track is helpful to you, then I suggest this web site. Laurie

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Great advice! There is a similar tracking site here:

WebMD Food & Fitness Planner

The personal plan enables you to:
  • Monitor your nutrient intake with our saturated fat, fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrate, fiber, sugar, and protein trackers.
  • Discover calories and nutrition facts for 1000's of foods and beverages or create your own, all of which you can log to a meal time.
  • Choose from 100's of popular activities or add your own to create custom workouts.
Best of luck to you and keep coming here for support and information!

Haylen

shadowlite replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Hi,

I've heard of this site, may have even checked it out at one point. I do track my food, having lost my excess weight with Weight Watchers. I think, as said to me in another reply, I am eating too many carbs, too many simple carbs, too. I have started watching that. Thanks for the tip

shadowlite replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi,

This sounds like a great tool. I didn't realize WebMD had anything like this. Thanks for the info.

ppmickey responded:
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes for decades. During that time I developed heart disease, kidney stone problems, frequent bladder infections, constant yeast infections, had problems keeping off weight, became obese, sometimes fainted if I waited too long before eating, was ill more often than I was well, started having nerve pain and developed neuropathy. My doctor got fed-up with the 5 hour or lesser hour fasting glucose testing by drinking that terrible sweet liquid and having your blood checked each hour and ordered an A1C test which indicated I had and still have Diabetes 2. Had this test been done decades earlier by other doctors I'd seen before him, I perhaps could have avoided the amount of health problems and pain suffered with being so-called pre-diabetic. My diabetes is controlled by Metformin now, which is working well for me and I've lost a tremendous amount of weight.

Keep up your healthy weight and eat very well and exercise if you are able. I no longer trust the classic testing and strongly believe that if someone has diabetes in their family, which was predominant in mine, that they should skip the classic test and go for the A1C blood test. Ask your doctor for it, especially if you are having any problems at all, such as I had, that are classic diabetes symptoms. I am sorry about your diagnosis and wish the best of luck to you.

auriga1 responded:
Shadowlite, you've gotten some great answers. It is IMPERATIVE to watch one's carbs when diagnosed with something like this.

All of our foods have carbs in them except for proteins and fats. Yes, even your veggies. Some more than others.

Wonderful idea to keep track of what you eat. I was diagnosed as an "uncontrolled diabetic" and had to do the very same so my doctors could see how foods affected my blood glucose.

Eating right (healthy) and exercise are great treatments at keeping this at bay.

It really is hard to say about heredity and diabetes. You will hear arguments from both sides. IMO, it does and can happen. My mother was an insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetic. I am too. Both of us underweight at time of diagnosis. I have one sibling who was diagnosed, but does not need insulin. No excesive weight, either. The other siblings have not been diagnosed. I tell them to keep a watch and be careful with what they eat.

Please read Dr. Dansinger's columns. Very helpful information.

You have a meter to keep watch over your blood glucose levels? Very helpful in determining which foods affect your BG's.

Jame143 replied to ppmickey's response:
This is my first time that i am visiting this Forum. Its quite informative and related to my problem, I do work in ware house and my most of job while siting on chair but I am fed up of all these and really felt Depressed, I don't know what is the treatment for this and If any cure available in medical science please let me aware of this.

Cheff replied to Jame143's response:
A man found out he was a diabetic.This man started a raw vegetable diet after finding out he had diabetes. He makes 6 meals a day and does not have this condition any longer.
No Bread, Rice, Sugar, Fruit, Cheese.
Look at the information on the back of all the packages and see if there is Sugar or carbohydrates. If there is then do not purchase them. You need to also look up :
Fig leaf extract, Cinnamon oil and Flax seed.
There are remarkable properties that can remove and control the insulin in your body.
Good Luck
PS: Important to drink 64 ounces of water every day

An_245101 replied to Cheff's response:
Cheff enough already - it's bad enough you told the story once and you are following it - but you had to tell it 4 times.

What works for one doesn't mean it "will" work for everyone. Each person has to decide for themselves what they can and cannot eat.

Drs say we need some carbs and small amt of fats. I am done with this board.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.