Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poverty.
rocketbob posted:
I have been following these forums since being dianosed type 2 back in Sept. and have seen few posts regarding affordability of treatment outside of a few mentions about different test strips and meters. The reason I bring this up is that a few years ago I was unemployed and homeless in NY and I shudder to think what my diet back then would do to my blood sugar now and how would I ever have afforded the lean cusines I frequenty consume now. On a practical level my circumstances are much improved but with no health insurance and little means of ever getting any I can safely say diabetes is not in my budget. What this means is that it can be difficult to take good care of yourself. For example, I have suspected for a while that I have nerve damange in my feet and particularily around the big toe. A couple of nights ago when I removed my shoes from work I noticed a dark spot on my sock over the bothersome toe. My first thought of course was to remove the sock and investigate, but then I further thought perhaps I don't really want to know what may or may not be wrong with that toe. I can't afford to see the doctor about it now, nor can I really take time off from work in the case real medical attention is needed. Now that I am diabectic the conflick is no less abated. Additionally, I impaled one of myfingertips with the brad nailer not once but twice which besides hurting like hell reminded me I havn't had a tetnus shot in over ten years. Such is the state of my affairs which I am sharing here not to garner any sympathy but to let the other diabectics of poor and poorer circumstances know they are not alone in their circumstances. In the meanwhile I remain ready for launch...Rocketbob.

dianer01 responded:
Rocketbob:

There is no easy answer for those with diabetes and limited funds/resources. Following is a link for the American Diabetes association: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/health-insurance-options/

which may give some options for those without insurance.

I spent this past summer unemployed and found I was neglecting my own diet to ensure my family had enough to eat by supplementing our diets with pasta and rice which is not diabetic friendly but fills that hungry spot.

Unfortunately diabetes is a disease of poverty and I don't have any easy answers. Look to any resource possible and consider growing a garden from seed which can be an economical resource.

In the mean time, do not neglect your feet because even though you do not feel you can afford medical attention, you cannot afford to not pay attention to your feet. If you have nerve damage, there is little which can be done, but if you have a wound, clean it and change the bandage throughout the day to combat any possible infection.

For those who are homeless and without means to eat a proper diabetic diet, my heart beraks for you but the only guidance I can offer is to do the best you can to eat low carb and take the best care you can of your feet.

my very best to you
accelerate out of the corners

brunosbud responded:
I've, personally, assisted over 2 dozen friends/neighbors/seniors who did not have enough money for prescription drugs get them free of charge by applying through patient assistance programs...

I've purchased insulin needles and test strips through ebay at 20 cents to the dollar...

If eligible, Medicare Part D can save thousands in medical supplies & drugs each year...

Finally, preventative medicine, the greatest "doctor" available to anyone at any age can be started, now, this minute, by eating more fruits and vegetables, regular daily exercise, periodic testing for blood pressure, blood sugar, % body fat, annual check-ups by your doctor, brushing your teeth twice per day and getting one hour extra sleep each day.

If I'm not mistaken, since 2010, if you are over the age of 50, you are eligible for free colonoscopy, fecal scans, mammograms and other preventative procedures.

People with little to no money have to be more aggressive and more resourceful than people, that's all...and, Rocketbob, you're doing this by starting this most important thread. Kudos!

You don't ask, you don't get. Most times, the hardest part is asking. Great post, rb.

hootyowl2 responded:
RocketBob,

I was unemployed and uninsured for several years while awaiting my disability approval, and uninsured the last few years that I did work due to the company's change in providers. [The new provider was too high priced for the measley wages I was earning.> Thankfully, I did not end up homeless, I did get help from family to keep my home.

There are free medical clinics in places, I am not sure how you would find them, but an internet search for your area may yield some leads. There is one in my area, and that is how I got my medical care. They also helped me with the paperwork to get my meds from the various drug companies. Most doctor offices have an HR person who can help with that nowadays. They make you jump through a lot of hoops, but until I got Medicaid, that is what I had to do.

PLEASE take care of your feet ! Hopefully, you can afford some epsom salts or other remedy to soak them in now and then. Mouthwash is a cheap antiseptic and kills most germs. It is minty fresh too, so your feet smell better... Add some to your foot soak. You need to check your feet daily.

I hope you can get the help you need. There are charities who help with meds, you may need to ask around to find them. The Lions club helps in some places [they do not do it in my area though>, so does the Salvation Army in some places. Much of that depends on their funding, but if you are in a big city, you ought to be able to get help with your meds from one or more of them. The Lion's club also helps with vision problems and eye surgery if you need it.

God bless,

Hooty

rocketbob replied to hootyowl2's response:
Thanks for your considerate reply. I hope I did not give the impression that I was currently homeless for that was nearly twenty years ago. I currently live in a small town of less than 600 beside lake Superior and personally I would not lightly consider living anywhere else. Consequently, the availablity of certain resourses are somewhat limited and more so because I ddon't drive. In regards to my feet, I mentioned them more to illustrate what goes through a poor persons mind when a medical issue crops up than to express a current concern for their condition. Also, now that I have diabetes and will shortly have my first three month A1c their are conditions that are more of a concern to me now than before even though some of those concerns may be unfounded. Currently, for example, I just finished production of a "Christmas Carol" with 72 kids, or should I say 72 little germ factories one of whom unwittenly lent me a retched sore throat which has no doubt contributed to the 169 bg this morning. So when I make my appointment for the three month check up should I mention my current state and risk another appointment I can't afford or take the chance the problem takes care of itself before then. I really already know which choice I would make to resolve this challange so what then is the problem other than another unacceptable solution. Frustration I suppose then sums it up for their are always those things over which I have no control no mater how much I may think I should or would if given the choice. The fact seems to be that diabetes has robbed me of certain choices and left me here to rant on about it. Nonetheless, I enjoy the imput I get back from these forums and hope I have not rambled to much in my discontent. Thanks...Rocketbob.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.