Skip to content
Monday Muster - December 12
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
I'm looking in here today for Haylen and thought I'd say 'hi'.

How are you doing this Monday and what's in store for you in the coming week?

How's your holiday shopping/decorating going?

And if I don't get a chance to say it to you all again.... I hope you all have a safe, healthy and happy holiday season!
Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.
~Goethe
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Phayzon1 responded:
I had a quick question for you is instant oatmeal alright for some one with diabetes?

flutetooter replied to Phayzon1's response:
Everything you eat depends on everything else you eat in its aeffect on blood sugar. If instant oatmeal is the only carb you eat in the morning, and you are up on on your feet moving around right away, the burst of fast acting carbs may not affect your overall blood sugar. A less fast acting choice might be steel cut oats, but those take about 15 min. to prepare. I eat NO cereals or regular bread, rice, potatoes so instant oatmeal would not be a good choice for me.

Check out a chart on glycemic index to find out which foods affect your blood sugar quickly. Non starchy veggies are always good choices, and meats don't affect your blood sugar at all. It is always a balancing act.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

teddybear200 responded:
Hi Caprice thanks for stopping by and stepping in for Haylen

My week is: M - T - W / PT on neck T & Th / Pulmonary Rehab.
Thurs is our annual Christmas party we will be cooking for 85 people again this year. Fri. is gift wrapping day, I wrap gifts for people who can not - it is a free event we do every year.

My Holiday shopping is done and has been since Oct. All my cards are mailed out 50 of them.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to teddybear200's response:
85 people?! Wow! I hope you have a blast!

And as someone who has great difficulty wrapping gifts... what a wonderful thing you're doing on Friday!

You are so much more on top of things than I am. Well done!
Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it.
~Goethe

MockBe responded:
gosh...dealing with pain in my neck..and am miserable...waiting for a doctor to look at it...just dealing with it til then, as the holidays have no close appts..
so am gonna make some soft oatmeal cookies for some non diabetic friends.

candy352 responded:
This week is starting GREAT!!! Saturday night I rec'd my Christmas present even earlier than I expected. She was 4 lbs 11 oz, and 17 in long. Just got home from hospital today. During hospital stay, my blood sugar levels were awesome so no diabetes medication was given. Going to follow up with my PCP to see what meds I need to take. During the pregnancy, my OB had changed my insulin. So excited to finally have my LO in my arms!!!

teddybear200 replied to candy352's response:
Congrats on your new baby girl she is adorable.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

DianeR01 replied to candy352's response:
Congratulations Candy!
accelerate out of the corners

nwsmom replied to DianeR01's response:
What a wonderful Christmas present! We are all very excited for you, and wish you and your new daughter all the best,

kieub replied to Phayzon1's response:
My husband often prepares hot oatmeal (steel cut oat) for breakfast for me, he always adds either raisins or craisin, oatbran, wheat germs, soymilk, grounded flax seed. My 2hrs after meal tests were always low, only in the 80's. Sometime even lower than before breakfast. So I thought that hot oatmeal with steel cut oat is fine. I do not use instant oatmeal so I do not know if it will have the same result. Kieub

betaquartz replied to kieub's response:
Your steel cut oats are lower on the glycemic index-a good choice. I used to eat them with butter, brown sugar, and raisins, but find that I can't do them anymore-without the sugar.

Around here we are getting ready for the season. Wife is pretty well healed up, but now has another problem-hypertension! Seems like her BP is ranging from 160/60-70 to 200 /100 . This is with her previous med and now a new one added two days ago. She ups the amount next week. She has me worried. . . .

kieub replied to betaquartz's response:
betaquartz, I am sorry to hear about your wife new problem. Could this be the side effect of the new med? Perhaps you should check with ther doctor on this. It is too high a PB for me. Good luck. kieub.

phototaker replied to betaquartz's response:
I just saw this, Betaquartz. What medicine is she taking for BP?
I take Lisinopril, (1/2 the amount), and that works great for me.
Also staying away from salty things helps a lot, and drinking a lot of water. I was so surprised to see how much salt is in everything, especially soup. I hope it's down by the time you see this again. Let us know how she's doing.

betaquartz replied to phototaker's response:
She is on Avapro 300mg once a day with Metoprlol Tartrate 50mg 1/2 tab twice a day. Tomorrow she ups the MT to1 twice a day. BP is down a bit but still 150-200/80-100.

On a higher note, we are nearly ready for Christmas. I am almost done shopping. I fired a kiln load of pottery last night, and it came out well. I'll bet my BG was whacky today as I nursed it until 3:30am. Going to take a nap before bowling, and then tomorrow take some pots in to school for an order. Giving salsa dishes to sisters and mugs to other people this year for fun.

I hope all are ready for the season and planning on doing merry with loved ones.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.