Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thanksgiving vs. Christmas
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
I've worked with many patients who find Thanksgiving and Christmas to be huge celebrations that can lead to week-long food fests. Other patients have no problem with overeating during the holiday season.

Just curious to know--do you find one holiday to be a bigger threat to your waistline than the other?

teddybear200 responded:
Nope I still eat what I know I can and don't feel I have to eat what everyone else does. I do not over eat at anytime holidays included. To me in my opinion there isn't ever a need to over eat, I never did and don't plan on starting now. I know what I can eat and stick to it. The proof is in my post entitled "Some good news for a change".
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle - Deb

DianeR01 responded:
I try to be reasonable with the holidays. At gatherings I will take a bite of this and a dab of that, we will bake, keep a handful of cookies and give the rest away. If anything I am more dilligent than ever and find the meals between celebrations being more veggie than anything.
accelerate out of the corners

MockBe responded:
i know for me i no longer am obessed with my waistline...must be something that comes with age..lol.

but i do know i worried allot about the holidays and not keeping myself safe from being safe with what i ate to stay in my safe zone in maintaining my blood sugars.

although, now that i have been gaining knowledge of what to eat and what to not eat, it is no longer a big deal. like magic, i can calculate all the food and carbs in my mind as i go.

mhall6252 responded:
I am keeping all things in moderation. I'm not denying myself anything that I truly love, that tastes really good. Our family is not big on sweets - at Thanksgiving we're far more into the main meal than the desserts that usually end up getting tossed after a couple of days. At Christmas, we tend to have more "grazing" or buffet-style affairs.

It also seems that my appetite is just not what it was before breast cancer. I'm still finishing treatment (19 radiation treatments left to go) and I think that is making a difference. Or it could be the metformin doing its thing to suppress my appetite. In any case, I don't seem to be inclined to overeat regardless of the holiday.

I've always had a pretty strong "20 minute" rule...after 20 minutes I am getting full signals. So the long drawn out meals tend to lead to my eating less than normal, not more.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

auriga1 responded:
No. I know what I should or shouldn't eat and how much. There are temptations and I do not ignore them all. Just fit them into the carb count. Don't see a problem with treating myself at all.

reitze responded:
I've often/long felt at-odds with the food-choices provided. When I learned I was type-2 challenged for a while in 2007-8 it became even more obvious than it was in the 1990s when I was a vegetarian. The Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter tradditional meals feature starchy-vegies like corn and potatoes rather than raw or wok-cooked vegies and stuff like that. So right away HEALTHY menu selections are limited.

That said, all things in moderation including moderation - so indulge for a meal - but get over it and don't thing those leftovers are really that good for you - there's a lot of fat, starch, carbs, and sugar in most of that CRAP. Well sorry not crap if its made with TLC. But like we have to watch we don't give our dog too many treats - killing him with kindness... the same is true of our bodies.

phototaker responded:
It's easy for me during those big holidays, Dr. Dansinger, as I'm usually invited to someone else's home for Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners. If I'm bringing a pie for the festivities, I leave the pie THERE. I'm "sometimes" given leftovers, but it's usually some turkey, veggies, etc. My house is devoid of anything that would be harmful, except fruit and popcorn. When I have those moments of craving...I go for a piece of fruit or some popcorn. I was really questioning about going to a party recently where it was a holiday cookie exchange. It was my swimming group, and most are pretty healthy. The rest of the food were things I could eat, vegetable soup, two salads, quiche, etc. The cookies were in the other room, and I never saw them. They knew that some of us couldn't eat them. I almost didn't go, but I'm so glad I did. I had such a great time, laughing, sharing, taking photos, etc.

I believe that loneliness, sadness,divorce, or feelings of loss of friends and relatives who have passed away come up for some people during the holidays, which leads to overeating.
It's a matter of recognizing "why" you're eating, and trying to not use food to hide those feelings. I get caught up sometimes in that, but mostly can catch it "before" I do.

Since I've started Metformin, I no longer have those deep constant cravings for food or sweets. It has taken the edge away for me. My "emotional" side is still there though, and I can eat for "other" reasons. Now it's only "one" that I'm dealing with...instead of two!

I hope you have a wonderful Chanukah with your family, Michael! Thanks for stopping by and checking in on us when you can! Yes...I've started a small amount of medicine. I started getting higher morning numbers and found my A1C had gotten to be 6.7. I knew it was time. I stayed off for four years.

peckony responded:
Arlene Abel I was dianosed with Type2 diabetes at 86 years old! It has been a life-saver for me in that I quit eating fast foods, junk foods and
things I thought were OK (well, not completely) I have lost
30 pounds, walk a mile a day, play the bassoon in two symphonic
concert bands and feel great!! Shoulda done it before

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.