Skip to content
Fruit Cake Blues
angelintrini posted:
It's that time again and try as I might, can't keep away from the fruit cake. Just made 6 and been sampling the batter and tasting as it comes out of the oven (sigh). Why is it soooooooooo hard to just eat one piece? Been busy cleaning and my walking program went out the window. Boy do I need a nudge to get back on track. Just feeling sorry for myself.

Hootyowl2 responded:
Hmm... I am not a fan of fruitcake, so I have no trouble at all leaving them alone. Cookies are another story entirely...lol

Hooty

laura2gemini2 responded:
I understand what you're going through. I made cookies for my coworkers. As soon as they cooled enough they went into sealable containers and into the closet where I couldnt see them. I also put some stuff on them and around them that would make it hard for me to break in and eat some. Out of sight, out of mind (that, and just too lazy to take everything out of the closet just for a cookie).

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
NUDGE!

There ya go! Don't be too hard on yourself. You are not the only one facing holiday challenges - I just counted 3 facebook posts from my friends lamenting on overeating.

A deep breath and a walk around the block usually helps me.

Haylen

DianeR01 responded:
Hi Angeltini,

Time to put your shoes on and go for a walk today. Don't beat yourself up over what did or didn't happen yesterday, you can't change it. Time to move forward.

Have a great day!
accelerate out of the corners

angelintrini replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hootyowl, Laura, Diane, Haylen........thanks a bunch for that nudge - kick in the butt. Laura, I like the idea about out of sight, out of mind. I got to do what you did with your cookies. The fruit cakes ( I gave away some) are looking at me when I open the refrigerator, so I'm gonna give away some more, keep one for my daughter and put the remainder to the back where I cant see it. Well, ok so will only sample little tiny pieces. Had a small piece after dinner and my reading was 126. Not bad. Going to the park to walk. Thank you guys

betaquartz responded:
Gees, I am a person with type 2 diabetes, and I do not take medication to balance my carbs. I have a wife and grown family that have all sorts of cookies, cakes, pies, cranberry orange relish, garlic mashed potatoes, candied yams, sugar coated nuts, chocolate covered pretzels and all sorts of chocolates this time of year. It is like walking through a mine field, as one slip can cause an explosion of eating that will do much devastation to me. So I ignore it all, see little skull and crossbones on all of it and walk right on by. Does it hurt-yeah for 15 seconds, about as long as it takes to remember what the consequences are. I know that i could have just one bite, but given that bite would I stop there? I don't know the answer to that one so I don't take . . the . . . one . . . bite!

angelintrini replied to betaquartz's response:
beta, so you got real control..yipee to you. The one bite encourages many more. You got a point there. Don't tell me you never slide...you're human!!

Hootyowl2 replied to angelintrini's response:
Angelintrini, If I do have something like potatoes, or cake or cookies, I trade off other carbs in my meal. That is why they call them " diabetic exchanges". If I have potatoes, I skip the bread... Or if I have a desert, I skip some other carbs. Leaving them totally alone is not do-able for me. I dont consider potatoes a no-no per se. Your body has to have carbs, you get to chose what kind. I do not have potatoes, bread, desert and all carbs in one meal. If I have some treat, I skip other carbs to compensate.

And walking by all of those goodies when they are there is pure torture.

Hooty

rocketbob responded:
Were iy not for fruitcakes I would have no doorstops at all.

betaquartz replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hooty, lets not confuse carbohydrates with starches. Starches-grain, potatoes, pastas, are a high carbohydrate food source that is in many cases low on the fiber content. On the other hand carbohydrates can be absorbed from a variety of other areas-vegetables, nuts, some dairy products, and many others. Carbohydrates are essential-starches are not. I have just chosen to limit(greatly)the starches.

Angelintini, Yes I do slide, on occasion I have had a bite of my wife's pumpkin pie-only the custard, this holiday I also had cranberry-orange relish she made special for me-no added sugar, Some apple pie, as this had no added sugar(no crust for me), and the entire season I did not have a single cookie even though there were several types on trays all Christmas holiday, any garlic mashed potatoes, or stuffing. I do slide, by millimeters.

angelintrini replied to Hootyowl2's response:
Hooty, I could relate. I do try to load up on veges and sometimes do exchanges but fell short during the holiday season. Yesterday I mowed the lawn (1 1/2 acres) so I called that my exercise for the day So I'm back on track. Had a healthy bkfast and lunch today and will be heading to the park about 6p.m.

auriga1 replied to rocketbob's response:
LOL, rocketbob. They never fail to work.

When I first tried fruitcake, well let's say I never did get to swallow it. Next, I thought if I picked out that icky, candied, dry fruit, I might be able to try it. There was no cake left to try. Best 50 pound doorstopper I ever encountered.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.