Skip to content
New Years Resolutions
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
Do you make New Years Resolutions?

Was healthy eating and exercise a part of your "New Years Resolutions" this year?

If so, are you ON track or OFF already?

Any advice for folks who resolve each year to make healthy habits a bigger priority, only to fall off track within a few weeks or months?

betaquartz responded:
New Years resolution was to continue on the road I have been on. With the last A1C at 5.8, and the fasting BG at 82 I believe I am doing the right thing. I have posted our diet and exercise routines here often so no need to do again. I have gone back to doing a few pull ups, and chin ups every other night as my shoulder has healed up. I have gone back to the treadmill in winter as after rolling the kayak in October when out alone was a good wake up call about safety. Wait til spring! Learn how to roll. Weather is moderate here, so I will be getting into the shop to make more pots hopefully.

phototaker responded:
Not exactly a New Year's Resolution, Dr. Dansinger, but since I've decided to go on Metformin, the smallest dosage, I'm trying to go out to lunches a little less with my friends, continue with my exercise routine of zumba, 4x a week(or dancing ballroom, west coast swing, or salsa at night), aerobic swimming once a week, and walking the sand dunes for my photography trips. I "just" started weight training last week, but need to check again with my heart doctor on this before I continue. I've cut down on sodium, checking my blood pressure every few days, and eating eggs a little less than before. I was having one a day. I'm keeping my fats a little lower for cholesterol, although my last tests came out great, the Kaiser pharmacist I'm talking with every few months wants me to cut out even more for heart health. She wants my LDL more below 100, because of my diabetes and heart issues.
I STILL need to lose about 10 lbs., but at least I'm not longer gaining, which I'm very happy about!

My advice to all is that it's never too late to reign yourself in after eating something that is not good for your health. Just start the next meal and keep to the program as much as you can! Don't get discouraged! Exercise does help to keep you mentally fit to take on anything!!

mhall6252 responded:
For years my resolution has been to weigh one pound less at the end of the year than at the beginning. This year is different and I am trying to get through radiation (done next Thursday!!!) then start regaining some strength and endurance. It's been a 20 month breast cancer journey and I am ready to move on with my life.

My advice for those who fall off the track - it's never too late to get back on track...never! Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, sometimes one mouthful at a time!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.