Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Various blood glucose measurements
retireddude posted:
I am a diabetic Canadian, while on a cruise I had to see the Dr. The Dr. did not understand my glucose reading. Our normals are 4-7 milli-ozmoles per liter. Above & your hyper, below and you are hypo. The U.S, uses a different system & neither one of us could explain nor extrapolate one system to the other. Can anyone tell me how to extrapolate my system to U.S. standards? Can anyone explain why there is not a worldwide standard, with over 500,000,000 diabetics we should be able to go anywhere and be treated with the same efficacy that we expect at home.

mrscora01 responded:
The US has not adopted SI (systeme international) units. Most of the rest of the world uses the units we use in Canada. To convert, multiply the Canadian number by 18. If you don't have a calculator, you can ballpark it and use 20 to make it easier then just drop the number a little. Unfortunately, you can't expect everyone to understand everything about your diabetes and this is one more thing you must be able to explain to someone if you are away from home.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Here's an online calculator:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/blood_sugar.htm

destinyshope62 replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Good Afternoon Doctor, Have you ever heard about Protandim? They are doing studies on diabetes and Protandim as we speak. I am sure you are familiar with pubmed.gov please go and research Protandim. They have 9 peer viewed studies on Protandim and 4 patents. It is a all natural dietary supplement, but I think they are totally onto something. I have been taking Protandim for over six months now and I love it. After taking Protandim for 10 weeks my total cholesterol went down 33 points. I had been on simvistatin for 7 years and it only took it down 30 points. I have heard many great stories from other friends and family in which Protandim has helped with many of their health issues. I am not saying it is a cure all but something to take a look at. Would love to know what you think about it.
destinyshope62@msn.com

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.