Skip to content
Do smokers have rights?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hot topic on today's debate board! I know some here are former smokers and today's question is about smoking in public places -

Smoke...but do it outside

So, do you think smokers have rights? Click on the link above and chime in.

Does anyone else remember smoking sections on planes?!? Yuck!

Haylen

nwsmom responded:
About 20 yrs ago, my employer mandated all building smoke-free, so outside we went. It was cold and windy in February, and the discomfort helped give me (a 40 yr smoker) the impetus to quit. Which I did, and haven't smoked since. Maybe the inconvenience will help others to stop smoking!

jasononsweets replied to nwsmom's response:
We all have to die of something and I enjoy smoking cigarettes. My neighbor across the street was just diagnosed with lung cancer and has never smoked. I have smoked Lucky Strikes over 40 years and my lungs were found to be clear as were my arteries. Go figure.... I'd rather die happy than miserable like non-smokers....

Anon_527 replied to jasononsweets's response:
I am a non-smoker and I am definitely not miserable. Your narrow-minded attitude is quite offensive.

phototaker replied to jasononsweets's response:
Jason, did you ever think about all the people who "might" have been harmed from your second hand smoke? I taught school. There were little kids who came into my classroom reeking of smoke. You know they were breathing that in! Maybe you were a careful, considerate smoker, and just harmed yourself. Yes, it's really sad when you say you've smoked for 40 years and not gotten cancer. You ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES. When I was hospitalized four years ago, I was in the bed next to a smoker who had gotten lung cancer. She kept moaning over and over, "I want to die. I'm not wearing this mask for oxygen every day."....or it might have been a hose in her nose. How can you just laugh this off? Count your lucky stars that you "might" not be harmed.
How old are you?

phototaker replied to jasononsweets's response:
P.S. Miserable like non-smokers...you're kidding right? I NEVER wanted to smoke, and I'm happy BECAUSE I've never been addicted to it. One of my friends tried to quit 3 times, and finally did on a cruise we were on...where she couldn't...and she thought it would be a good time to quit. She was IN A REALLY FOWL MOOD, though...you could imagine, but I was so happy for her that she quit, that I just had to let it go. I knew it was so hard to quit.

soapster1949 replied to jasononsweets's response:
Give it time - instead of cancer you may develop emphysema. I watched my father-in-law struggle for each breath before he passed away. As a former smoker, I can tell you this - you can be happy without the "cancer stick". For one thing, you'll smell a whole lot better.

Anon_4858 replied to jasononsweets's response:
I am an ex-smoker, and I've never been happier.

You sound a lot like my dad. He smoked 2 packs a day of menthol cigs for 55 years and he loved them. He'd rather smoke a cigarette then spend time with his friends, or go out and have fun. He smoked while on an oxygen machine because he enjoyed them too much to stop, and he couldnt take off the oxygen nasal cannula.

He died strapped to a hospital bed from COPD with dementia from lack of oxygen. He didnt show symptoms till the last 5 years. The day he died he lit one up.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.