Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Paula Deen announces that she has Type 2
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Rumored over the weekend, Paula Deen's announcement that she has type 2 diabetes was no surprise today. Do celebrity announcements like this help those who need to address diabetes? Do you think this will bring a larger understanding of living with diabetes to those not aware of Type 2? Here's an article with quotes from Paula: Paula Deen: I Have Type 2 Diabetes

Some highlights from the article:
  • Even as she reveals that she is living with Type 2 Diabetes, she says it won't stop her from eating the way she wants.
  • Deen takes Victoza, a once-daily, non-insulin injection, and continues to "make lifestyle adjustments, including lightened-up versions of her favorite recipes."
  • I was determined to share my positive approach and not let diabetes stand in the way of enjoying my life," Deen said Tuesday announcing her launch of Diabetes in a New Light, geared toward finding "simple ways" to manage challenges of the disease.

WebMD will be putting up a blog post about the announcement shortly.

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
I get mildly annoyed by celebrity revelations, in general...

So, Paula Deen's going to come out with a series of cooking recipes on healthy eating? How nice!

[br>Signature dish: One of Deen's recipes is a Lady's Brunch Burger that features doughnuts in place of buns, bacon, a beef burger and a fried egg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2087883/Paula-Deen-reveals-Type-2-diabetes.html#ixzz1jjtjznL1

"...Fellow chef Anthony Bourdain told Eater.com: 'When your signature dish is hamburger in between a doughnut, and you've been cheerfully selling this stuff knowing all along that you've got type 2 diabetes, it's bad taste if nothing else.'..."

Quite frankly, I think Bourdain was uncharacteristically kind...

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to brunosbud's response:
OH MY! I heard that quote from Bourdain but thought he was being funny...uggg....serioulsy, that looks gross.

H

mrscora01 responded:
I think she is going to be one of those T2s that will happily take her meds and eat whatever she feels like. Not everyone is cut out to be a role model just because they are a celebrity. She has talked about cutting out her sweet tea. Given what she cooks, that's not much of a change.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 replied to mrscora01's response:
Agreed, agreed, agreed. One of those who will take their meds SO THEY CAN EAT what they want. Not much of a role model if you ask me. That kind of mind set is what we are trying to avoid in order to lead a healthier life. I would dearly love not to have to take meds of any kind.

You're right, Mrs. Cora, heard that on the morning show this a.m. She still eats her bread but only half a sandwich. What's between that slice of bread? Does she know most of our foods contain carbs?

Victoza is to be used on conjunction with diet and exercise. Hmmmm. Somehow I can't conjure up the picture.

mhall6252 replied to auriga1's response:
You know, for every one of us who tries to be more diligent in our control, there are probably 50 who have more of an "I can eat anything I want in moderation" approach. After all, that is EXACTLY what my CDE and dietician told me when I was first diagnosed...that I didn't have to give up anything, I just needed to exercise portion control and count my carbs.

The question becomes, can a person practice moderation? Some of us can, and some of us cannot. I've got so much candy in the house, left over from Christmas, that will ultimately hit the trash because I can have it in front of me and not eat it or eat just one or two little pieces and be done with it. And I'll toss it because I don't want hubby to eat it all, not because it poses a problem for me.

Whether or not Paula Deen can practice moderation will be a subject of much debate. It appears she has lost some weight, so maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

And I must say, that brunch burger looks disgusting!!!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

anon123567 responded:
who is Paula Deen? never heard of her

and any announcement of celebrities with type 2 diabetes does nothing but damage the cause of people with type 1 searching for a cure as "lifestyle change" doesn't help us

teddybear200 replied to anon123567's response:
Anon123567 - your not missing much not knowing her - I have watched her cooking shows on the food channel - She loves to eat what she and her family make.

She makes about 90% of her food with full sticks of real butter, tons of sugars and lots of salt.

So this announcement didn't shock me at all. I do not like her attitude about she is going to keep eating the way she always has (my words, not her quote). If you have diabetes and you are promoting a food show than change. My opinion.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

DoloresTeresa replied to teddybear200's response:
I absolutely do not believe the drug company would sign her on and pay her money unless she agrees to change her diet so that it looks like the drug is causing any improvement. She is not going to give up her empire and what she says publicly has got to be different than what she does privately. Do you think all those celebrities who advertise Jenny Craig or Nutri System are not getting lots of counseling and exercise advice and maybe personal trainers from those big businesses?

She says what she cooks is okay in moderation. Look what eating what she cooks in moderation has done for her. Diabetes.

If she has had diabetes for three years she has either drastically changed what she eats at home or has been on some sort of med. Waiting three years to tell the public so she could offer something positive is hogwash. Having been diabetic and taking control from the outset would have been something positive. But of course there would be no money in that.

Dolores

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Dolores,

I hope you are right! So far, the only thing I've seen her say is that she's giving up sweet tea - no mention of diet changes or exercise.

Haylen

teddybear200 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
The article says she uses Victoza daily. A non insulin injection to control her blood sugars. She is pictured on their web site in the 1 picture spot.

http://www.victoza.com/
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

jscott418 responded:
Sounds like Paula is going to rely more on a magic pill to help her condition then changing her eating habits. That's really too bad but probably more of a marketing decision. I can say for myself that you have to make a lifestyle change if you are going to control your diabetes and not let it get the best of you.

redhead745 responded:
why is everyone so surprised,there are probably alot more chefs out there that have diabetes. If you have diabetes, you can modify her recipes. I have diabetes, I know what I should and should not eat, and I feel everything in moderation. Paula, I'm with you, feel good and keep cookin'.

MurphyFan responded:
I will be honest that I'm appalled that Paula Deen is getting support as a spokesperson for Diabetes. As noted throughout the posts she has had Diabetes 2 for years and look at her! She eats a ridiculous diet ladened with fat, sugar, carbs, and sodium. I take Victoza and I've shed 7 pounds already; I'm not overweight just a Type 1.5 for 37 years and weight loss for me is hard! If she's been on victoza I have to agree with another blogger that said she's taking meds and eating what she wants! I take my Diabetes very seriously and for the past 37 years (I'm 50) I've always believed my life is worth more than a Snickers bar! Why eat the stuff that can kill you!

I watch FoodNetwork and NOT once over the past 2 years has she had ONE healthy dish on there! She fries mac and cheese! If this is the type of person the ADA wants as a spokesperson then obesity will remain out of control and diabetes will continue to KILL people. Where are the positive role models? This is stupid.

mrscora01 replied to MurphyFan's response:
She's a spokesperson for Victoza (and she's paid for it), not diabetes. I think that this is something people forget. Yes, there are some people foolish enough to want the drug because she is on it, but the majority of us don't think in terms that if a celebrity uses something, we should too.

I think people also forget that she is not a role model, nor has she or anyone else in her camp suggested that she is. She is a paid celebrity, and she is a paid spokeswoman. That is not being a role model and folks need to stop assuming that being a celebrity makes you a role model. It does not. Stop worshiping celebrities and acting as though they are anything other than regular people who are paid well. That doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.