Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Before meal 160 and an article related question
ManiRGS posted:
Yesterday when I checked my sugar level before dinner it was 160 (really unusual since it would be between 80 to 110). I just went ahead and ate my dinner (Chinese Fried rice with tofu and soy chunks..less oily). I took my medicine (Metformin 1000mg). Walked for about 15-20 mins. After 2 hours I checked and my blood sugar level was 110.
Today I came across an article by an MD (I lost the link for the article) and she mentioned that we must delay eating if sugar level before meal is more than 150.
What I did yesterday is correct or not. Is there anything I need to be worried about.
I am diabetic for almost 7 years. I am 36 years old male and my A1C has always been between 6.1 and 6.9.
Thanks

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I am not a medical expert and I could be wrong but you blood glucose was a little high but not crazy high. I think you did the right thing by eating. I am not sure the rice was the best choice but that was not the question. It is my understanding that the body responds better by eating, sleeping and exercising at the same time each day.

The higher reading could have been a little bit of food debris on the testing site which may have given you a false reading.

If your reading had come back seriously high, I would have definately retested and then perhaps contacted your doctor or sought medical attention before eating.
accelerate out of the corners

mhall6252 responded:
I agree that your reading wasn't so high that eating was a bad idea. I have found that if I eat something with rice, my glucose is fairly low two hours later. And the walk certainly helped, too.

My general rule is, don't skip meals. If your glucose is really high, you might limit your meal to a protein and non-starchy veggies.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.