Travel-Food Problems
flutetooter posted:
I am finding it to be more and more difficult to travel and eat properly for me to to keep my blood sugars stable. I still am not on any meds, but need to keep my carb count under 20 grams for small meals and under 10 grams for a snack, balanced by about about 2 oz. of protein for a small meal ( 3 per day)and 1 oz. for a snack (3 per day), plus some good fats such as olive oil or nuts.

In my cruise travels the last three weeks, I found it almost impossible to eat anything in the dining room or lunch or breakfast buffet but raw salads, hard boiled eggs, steamed veggies, meats with no gravies or sauces, V-8 juice once a day, and VERY limited grains. I did O.K. on the ship, by ordering special changes in their menus, and stocking my small room fridge with stuff like cottage cheese, raw whole fruits (1/2 per day), nuts, and grilled chickekn breast. Understand, I am NOT complaining. I did in fact have a wonderful time and actually lost three pounds, but I am saddened by the fact that the world makes it very difficult to be healthy. Just looking at my fellow passengers tells me that they have little understanding of how too much or the wrong kinds of food can harm them. I wonder if Paula Deen was one of their chefs. lol
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

phototaker responded:
Flutetooter, you did SO WELL! It must have been quite a challenge for you. One of the gals I traveled with has allergies to certain foods. The head waiter came by every day to write down her dinner menu for the next evening. Chefs prepared her meals gluten free(or whatever else she was allergic to like milk). She had wonderful meals. I had to take things with me from the ship for snacks, as foods out during touring was difficult, especially when you're with a group and can't stop anywhere. I would bring cheese on a slice of bread, or hard boiled egg. I brought plastic bags with me for this. I saw other people doing this, too. I also had water that I bought on the boat, or a small plastic bottle I brought with me to fit in my pocket to take my pills. I brought nuts with me, too, in little bags, along with some Atkins bars. No wonder my suitcase weighed more. This helped me get through times when we got back too late to eat, such as the night we got through the day tour, and had to rush out for the night one. It was a Russian ballet. There was no time to eat at all. I'm SO glad I didn't miss that.

mhall6252 responded:
Having been on a couple of cruises, I feel there were plenty of food options. Even the "standard" meals at dinner were not nearly as huge as the restaurant meals we are all familiar with. Of course, I am not nearly as strict about my diet as you are. And most people are not, for that matter. I will admit that part of the "experience" of cruising (for me, anyways) is the lovely food. I always found plenty of options for fresh vegetables, salad, fruits, etc. And even the desserts were generally very well done, but also of a reasonable size.

We are going to Paris in May and I guarantee you that I will be eating a freshly baked pastry every single morning. Then we'll walk it off while exploring all the sights.

Moderation is the key!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

flutetooter replied to phototaker's response:
Photo, I knew you would pick up on this! Traveling with Holland American lines has been the most trying food-wise of any cruise lines, as their choices are SO heavy laden with fats, sugars and salts. All cooked veggies except for the boring steamed mix (which was available only occasionally) were the consistancy of a stew and swimming in oils and salts. I'm glad to be home to fresh strawberries and salmon this morning with a half slice of Ezekial bread.

I did exactly what you did when leaving the ship - at least two snacks worth of balanced food in plastic and/or protein or Glycerna bars. What I did new this year, is to always carry 4 gram sugar tabs, and chew 1/2 a tab if I even felt a little low, following in about 15 minutes with a balanced snack. I did more exercise and added laps in the ship's pool. I will keep that up at the gym at home, since it slimmed down my upper legs and glutes.

The hardest food-find situation was coming home because we had to leave ALL food on the ship or pay a heavy fine of $300 at customs. Airport food was very heavy carbs. I will travel again in a minute, however, and treat the food situation as a challenge.

phototaker replied to flutetooter's response:
Flute, don't get me wrong. When I was on the cruise, I did eat regular food. I had a protein, like fish or steak, double veggies, and a salad, sometimes a taste of the potatoes they served, one small roll, and coffee and some sort of dessert. Mostly I took the mixed pieces of fruit, had small tastes of their cheesecake, and also tried three different other desserts on the cruise....tastes. They had sugar free ice cream, too. I had walked SO MUCH all day on tours, so I got a ton of exercise every single day. I think there were only three free days, and I did dancing on those. I didn't overeat at all, and felt very satisfied.

To be clear, some people can get away with this. Evidently my body can't, as I started medicine two months after I got home.
In order for me to be off medicine, I'd have to eat as strictly as you do, Flutetooter. I congratulate you for doing this, and maintaining so well. I can't be that strict. The medicine doesn't really change anything. You STILL have to be strict. I'm eating very healthy right now...but I have continued to go out to restaurants. I'm now going back to having my Casear chicken salads or salmon at restaurants. I STILL need to lose another 10-15 lbs. I AM working out almost every day, though. That hasn't stopped. This morning I did swim aerobics and tonight U-Jam dancing. I did UJam Sun. morning and salsa dancing at night. SO...keep up the good work. Cruising CAN be done in a more healthy way. You just have to be in a good place for that. I also don't drink alcohol, so I saved some calories there.

betatoo responded:
When my wife and I did Hawaii, the Norwegian line had a great variety of very healthy meals for me. The veggies were always done right-lightly cooked still squeeky. I prefer mine that way. At the same time they had sugar free desserts, including fresh berries and creme. I have come to eat so much cleaner these days that steamed veggies are great-to me.

Wife and I are going on a Disney cruise in July to West Caribbean. I have already checked on line as to the menus at the standard restaurants, and they are going to be fabulous! I guess it is all in the cruise line you pick.

betatoo replied to betatoo's response:
Oh by the way, for those of you that don't figure the moniker out, I'm also known as betaquartz, but have been having a very difficult time signing in with that persona. I have been paying attention though and am glad that everyone seems to be doing well. My best beta.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, I agree with you on the cruise line making all the difference. Last year on NCL (Norwegian Cruise Line) I had plenty healthy food to choose from and really enjoyed "shopping" in the food stations (no long lines!). It seems to be the "dutch" food that is heavy. In fact, when I asked the buffet manager about having more steamed veggies, he replied that I was only going to be on the boat a short time, but the staff and crew was on it all the time - indicating that they preferred the heavier food. You can guess what cruise line I will be avoiding from now on.

mhall6252 replied to flutetooter's response:
We never ate that often at the buffets. I think if you eat in the restaurants, you can specify your desires for what's on your plate and your server will usually help ensure you're getting what you ask for. Things are cooked more to order and you're not fighting the "appeal to the masses" mentality.

I have cruised on Celebrity and NCL. Of the two, I thought the food and service was better on Celebrity.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
We went to the breakfast buffets every morning. I really loaded up on proteins and veggies usually in an omelet. I also would have some fruit, and pick up an apple or a pear for mid morning snack while touring the islands. I have gotten into the habit of carrying a backpack when traveling that carries all of my electronics, and snacks with other essentials. I do not test so I don't worry about those items. Sometimes I carry the lowest carb highest protein bars that I can find that have the shortest ingredient list-finding all of that in one bar is TOUGH!

jscott418 responded:
I am a truck driver which I would think has to have the least availability to healthy food choices. But I manage to do other things to help counter a somewhat bad choices. For one thing I would think on a cruise you could walk or exercise after a meal. This would help insulin sensitivity and improve glucose levels. Also spreading those meals out and having healthy snacks. I go for walks when I get stopped and I eat a smaller meal such as in the evening when I know I cannot exercise.

betaquartz replied to jscott418's response:
Jscott, I have known truck drivers over the years, and hats off to all of you. The long hrs sitting, and the pounding you get, not to mention the poor food at truck stops and lack of proper sleep is a train wreck on your health. Sounds like you are doing as much as you can to keep ahead of things-keep up the good work!