Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
carbs
barb10562 posted:
How many carbs do you all eat for the day???

mhall6252 responded:
Most days I try to stay under 100 grams. That has worked for me for more than a decade.

Michelle
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

flutetooter replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks, Michelle. I had been feeling a little obsessive/complusive about my limit of 15-20 carbs for a small meal (I have NO large meals) and 10 for a snack, but it works well for me also. Any more sugar makes me feel foggy or jittery within 30 minutes after that meal. I do not buy the rule of waiting 2 hours to test, since that leaves all that time under the influence of a high amount of carbs. The latest reasearch I have read states that the after-meal highs, and up and downs do more damage to the organs than a steady higher count.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

teddybear200 responded:
I am about 100 carbs a day as well.

20-25 per meal, I eat 4 small meals a day and for a snack I eat no more than 8 carbs.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

auriga1 responded:
I also try to stay around 100 grams of carbs a day. Sometimes less than that. I take insulin to counter the action of carbs in my blood stream, so I try not to snack on anything with more than 7 carbs. Most days, there is no snacking. Four injections a day is enough and if I snack, it will be more insulin.

mhall6252 replied to auriga1's response:
I don't normally need to snack, either. Once in a while, around 4 or so, I find I need something to get me to dinner. I usually will eat a few nuts or some fruit, or a half-portion of whole grain crackers and cheese. During the summer when my hubby and I play golf in the evening (and I hope to be able to do that again this year), I will eat a 1 ounce bag of peanuts and a small can of V-8 before going out. That seems to get me through 9 holes just fine.

Flute - I am probably no where near as disciplined as you are...I don't worry about the size of my protein portion and I don't really "limit" my fats that much. I'm not trying to lose weight at this point, actually hoping to gain a couple pounds over the next few months. And when I go on vacation, I eat, within reason, whatever I like. We are going to France in May and I guarantee you I'll be indulging in pastries most every day. But I'll also be walking it off, so the indulgences will be perfectly acceptable, in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I'll be leaving my meter at home as I never have lows.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

flutetooter replied to mhall6252's response:
Thanks, Michelle. My body seems to be extremely sensitive to small changes in blood sugar and is happiest between 95 and 125. That is the ONLY reason I go to so much fine tuning. Last night after an hour of intensive water strength exercises and a short trip to the grocery store I tested at 88. That seems great but I was a little spacy at the store and short of energy in the pool. I had eaten a very small pork chop, 1 plum, and a 12 carb glucerna bar and hour before the exercise session. Normally I would have grabbed 1/2 banana and a piece of string cheese in the gym locker room, but I wanted to test without. Oh well, my method works for me and I am still on no meds. Diabetes is a very personal disease, isn't it!

betaquartz responded:
You know that is a good question. I don't count carbs. I figure servings, and presently-every day I have one slice of rye toast for breakfast, 3 cups of veggies(no root vegetables) for lunch, and a salad for dinner. I eat one piece of dark chocolate 72% or better as a snack, a tangerine or an apple, and about 1/2 cup of mixed nuts a day. Other than my protein intake, and the occasional dessert(mixed berries and whipped creme) that is all I eat. Some days I do even less by doing two salads instead of just the one, especially if I am eating out.

flutetooter replied to betaquartz's response:
Thanks Beta. I really count servings now also because I know what general amounts of each food constitutes about 9-10 carbs.I use the proportions of of nutrients in "The Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears which are 40% of total calories as carbs, 30 % protein, and 30% good fats.

So for me, a portion of carbs could be 1/2 orange or apple, 1 plum, 1/3 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/4 cup starchy beans or lentils (with no sauces included), 3/4 cup berries, 1/4 cup rice or pasta (so I never eat those at all), 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups veggies depending on what kind . I have 2 portions of each (carb, protein, fats) for each meal and about 1 portion for each of 3 snacks. My total calories the day would be from 1200-1500 depending on exercise.

That is generally seen as "underfeeding" but that it the amount that keeps me at my given weight of 134 lb. and a BMI of about 22.5%, and body fat of about 28% which is in the excedllent category for my age. Mostly now, I "eyeball" my plate and don't have to count either.

betaquartz replied to flutetooter's response:
My meal plan has kept me at 150 now, and with an 18% body fat using my scales-not accurate, but when first used was 23. BMI is well within normal for a 5'9" male. So I eat as I do, and dang if it isn't easy once you get used to it.

antongross responded:
I weight about 134 lbs, 5'-6" adn 38 yrs old. I eat for fuel/ performance.. and for taste as well. I am 38 now, and an avid Crossfitter for about 6 years. I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for about 13 years now. Eating on the Zone diet has absolutely improved my performances, recovery, speed, and energy levels.
I eat primarily low glycemic index carbohydrates (mostly vegetables and fruits), lean meats, some nuts (almonds), and I also eat peanut butter for my fats as well. I eat trying to maintain a Zone diet, with about 16-17 blocks per day. I DO eat/ drink plenty of milk and cottage cheese, plain lowfat yogurt ,etc as well as lots of eggs as well. They're great and easy to eat and make.
I would say that normally I eat about 140 - 150 grams of carbohydrates plus or minus. I eat about 120 grams of protein per day... possibly a little more. That's split into 3 meals and 1-2 snacks per day. The good fats keep me from losing weight and keep me satisfied. A lot of people ask how veggies are going to keep you full. I say eat a 2/3 plate of fresh steamed veggies, 6 ozs protein and some nuts and tell me you're not full. Also, I won't be hungry in 2 hours either. I also drink a lot of tea throughout the day. I like tea and it tastes great. My A1C has never been above 6 and is usually lower. My numbers are almost always in the 80-100 range... although I do hang out in the 70-80 range and feel fine... I would bump up my numbers if I was going to drive or be out and about, and I almost always keep a granola bar, or something like that in case I drop for some reason like stress, etc.
best to all diabetics starting to keep track of what they eat. Do it scientifically and you'll reap the control and ease of being able to see what foods effect you in different ways. Also track your exercise and see how that effects your insulin. For me, usually the exercise will usually lower my insulin down a unit or so as it makes the insulin act stronger somehow.
I'm not perfect. I do love ice cream and chocolate, so I do have an occasional cheat meal and snacks. I basically eat well, so I can eat whatever I want to whenever I really want to. I love almost everything I eat so it's not hard at all.

brunosbud replied to antongross's response:
"Systems" work because they involve processes and they allow for continuous refinement. Beautiful. Well conceived.

Blessedcalgary responded:
I am a 67 yr.old Type 1 insulin diabetic for 27 years.I also have thyroid problems. I am on an insulin pump. My dietitian told me to have 1200 calories/day and no less as I would not get the nutrients I need. I have three meals/day and three snacks. I have 153 carbohydrates/day. This keeps my weight the same. I would like to lose weight and eat less, but the dietitian says, "no." So, I go on the treadmill 40 minutes/day, but my weight still stays the same.

Cebs146 responded:
I eat between 180 - 240 but most if not all of my carbs are gotten from salads and veggies... I stay away from breads and pasta's.
I'm type 2 diabetic... I am NOW controlled by diet... but my glucose will go up and down at times.. want to keep it regular...

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.