Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I'm discourage no weight loss
Denial741974 posted:
hello group, how is everyone doing?I want to talk about diabetes. I'm very discouraged because I didn't lose any weight. I've been riding my bike at least three times a week. If the weather permits. I do walking and still haven't lost any weight. Today I rode my bike 12 miles I had fun I was on a trail had a great time. Last time I went to the dietitian I was 149. And lost one Pound. I'm 148 but now on 150. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying eat healthier with vegetables and fruit at times, but usually I utilize carbohydrates before my ride. I'm discourage about this. Does anybody have the same problem can't lose weight that fast ever since were over 30. I'm 36. When I was in my 20s I rode my bike a lot in the summer and I was still heavy but I managed to lose it at that time, but now I 36 even how much writing I do I can't seem to lose it. Today I was thinking of starving myself but that didn't work because they eat too much when I got home from my bike ride. So discourage. My number is been normal two times a day. Thanks for listening Den. And Heidi your profile picture before was really neat was not scary,it reminded me of a famous singer back in the 70s and 80s and he passed away. I don't know who may be John Lennon not sure but it wasn't scary. It was a nice arts. I've been doing a lot of art therapy at my day program lot of fun.Den
no denial anymore in my health, it's a learning experience

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
You might be eating more than you think - have you ever tried keeping close track of calories and carbs?

Try this and see if it works for you:

WebMD Food & Fitness Planner

Haylen

Denial741974 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Heidi, I can't do it. I will just have to accept myself that I'm to have a big belly my whole life. At least am riding my bike and at times walking on a track. I know mom tells me that's not a word can't, but I'm still young I'm just only 37. Like I tell my mom and everyone else my diabetes is not really a big thing for me. Because it diet an exercise with no medication or insulin, yes it's true I cheat a lot, yes I would it would be nice to be thin but I have to accept me. Sorry I didn't get to your post right away. p.s my numbers are good

Anon_527 replied to Denial741974's response:
Yes, you can do it. If you give up and accept yourself as you are and do not change your life style, then you will be on medication and/or insulin soon.

BTW, who is Heidi??

barb10562 responded:
First of all, u give up too easily. You CAN lose if u really want to. Ive been trying for 15 years and Im finally doing it but u really have to cut down on the carb. I have lost 22 lbs since Oct and no, its not easy. If it were easy, nobody would be overweight. Try limiting carbs to arund 15 per meal and I bet the weight will start coming off plus your blood sugar will be good too! Its all win-win.

betaquartz replied to Denial741974's response:
Den, don't despair. Just because you are at a point where you don't seem to be making progress isn't necessarily true. Scales don't tell the whole story when considering weight loss. First you have to consider that much of the weight is being converted to muscle-muscle weighs more but takes up less space-I'm sure you know that. Think about other measurements-do you have an easier time getting around-like when you ride that bike is going up hill easier? Do you notice anywhere where your clothes fit looser than before?

I seem to have problems in the same manner with weight loss, I don't seem to drop below 152-however the other day someone said to me that they thought that I had really bulked up in the shoulders and chest. Maybe that is why I don't lose as easily anymore, there is less fat to get rid of, and I don't want to get rid of the muscle.

Maybe you are doing the same here-belly fat takes time, you put it on over years, but most of us try to get rid of it in months-can't be done unless you work at it 8 hrs a day-most of us don't have that sort of time. So keep working realizing that you measure your health many more ways than just a scale.

Denial741974 replied to betaquartz's response:
I'm not giving up, a big improvement that I accomplish this year so far is increasing my exercise and my mental illness is stable. Eating habits well it's fair, I do try eat more vegetables and fruits, but does this make sense I feel heavier at 37 then when I was in my 20s yes when I was in my 20s I exercise so much and eat a lot of food, but I'm realizing at 37 like today I tried to eat less at work when I worked at a kitchen. Because I notice when I eat their food I get sluggish dizzy and lightheaded as a dishwasher and I feel bad sometimes. So today I tried to a tiny piece roast beef two pieces of carrots and that's all. And my job performance was much better and stronger figure that out. It seems less I eat the more I feel better, now my dietitian and the doctor wants me to My cards encapsulated but I haven't had any time. They notice I gained a lot of weight and their concern, but I do try my best my ability unlearning a new thing when I eat too much for that day I do extra long bike ride, but I still don't lose any weight I don't think it's muscle I think it's fat instead of muscles. My running days are over because of my left leg. But I'll keep on trying and working hard on my progress. Maybe tonight for dinner I'll only have a salad at work and eat less, so I won't get dizzy while I was working as a dishwasher, good for you new lost weight everybody's different bodies just like diabetes, group it's not that I don't care. My main thing in life is to control my mental illness that's very important to me and I notice when I eat healthy and eat less I feel much better about myself. I'll keep trucking away and think about what you all set to make next time I eat macaroni and cheese or cheese steak or anything I eat. I'm improving one dated time you all see that. Den

Takes a lot of bike riding to burn a sufficient number of calories. Cut back on the carbs eat more veggies and lean protein the weight will drop. You can't overeat and make it up by riding the bike. You know all of this, just take it easy and get back on track.

I have question< right every one is diferent,I'll keep trying

Sure you will-keep up the good work.

Beta, if that was true my belly will be gone if I had muscles. Only part of body that I have muscles are my legs, trust me I'm heavier than when I was first diagnosed, I was 181 versus dinos back in 2008 January, now my weight is a lot heavier than before. I'm not trying to be stubborn I meeting better maybe it's more muscles but my belly is bigger over the years. It wasn't for my belly I would be not overweight. I don't give up that easy it's just it's hard and I do try to run my bike at least three times a week if the weather is nice but winter is here and it's hard to ride in the snow, and Saturday and Sunday I take a break from exercising because I work as a dishwasher at a personal-care home.

Anon_527 replied to Denial741974's response:
In your first post in this thread you said you weighed 149 or 150 pounds. Now you say you weigh 181. Very confusing. Are you gaining weight that quickly???

Anon_999 replied to Anon_527's response:
I'm reading it to say that in 2008 when he was dx'd he was 181. Or I'm missing it too? His original post said at his last visit with the diatician he weighed 149 he then lost 1 pound now he is 150. At any rate he can't lose any more weight.

Ramani Durvasula, PhD responded:
When many people struggle with weight loss and maintenance - they have to address healthy diet and exercise - you have a 3rd issue to contend with - managing your diabetes. A few things to stay on top of. Exercise is a CRITICAL part of managing your diabetes- so never stop, however, we often burn fewer calories than we think. In contrast, even when we are making "healthy choices" - we can still consume a lot of calories. Calories are the key to weight loss. Do not starve yourself. Eat regularly, but also be aware that exercise and activity can result in more appetite with the result that you end up eating more than you burned. I would suggest photographing EVERYTHING that goes in to your mouth using your phone if you have a phone equipped to do that. At the end of the day - use those pictures to construct an accurate food diary and get some real calorie counts. Hang tough - you are doing so many wonderful things for your health - but at the end of the day - weight loss is a numbers game. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.