Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Eating when blood sugar is, "too high."
SugarplumButtercup posted:
In response to a recent post about eating dinner when the blood glucose was 160, in opposition to advice to postpone eating if reading is too high, doesn't it depend how long it has been since eating? Doesn't BG rise if one hasn't eaten in a certain amount of time? I'm finding that the longer I go without eating past 2-3 hours, the higher my BG. A shot of protein (cheese, meat, protein powder, walnuts) brings it down. So I don't think refraining from eating is a universally-wise action because of a higher-than-desired BG reading.

Recently, I've discovered what, for me, is slightly miraculous. Learning that fiber can slow down the rate at which sugar enters the blood, I've started having equal parts ground flax seed with my home-made granola. My BG stays in the 90-100 range for at least three hours after breakfast, which for me, is a new low. (Diabetic for five years, controlled with diet and exercise -- never taken any meds for it.)

Another wonder for me is the effect of cinnamon on my BG. I put 3/4 t. in my granola, and in the protein drink I have about an hour before bed. This is no controlled, scientific experiment, but since I started with the cinnamon (based on reading the results of a scientific experiment), my BG readings have been lower no matter when I take them. I formerly thought it was acceptable to be in the 130-160 range two hours after a meal; my new lows are routinely 100-120, and I believe the cinnamon and flax are the only changes in my daily patterns.

For what it's worth ...

DoloresTeresa responded:
Sugar, if you read the Zone Diet by Barry Sears, you will find that he claims his diet controls insulin (high blood sugars isn't the only problem t2 diabetics have). His diet contains low calories but about thirty percent fat. He says to eat some fat and protein in certain proportions at every meal in order to control blood sugar and especially, insulin.

I tested his theory on myself. It is true that, when adding the fat, the blood sugar is not very high after one or two hours. But Dr. Sears does not tell you what happens at three or four hours. The blood sugar goes up because all the fat did was delay the sugar release into the blood so that when you eat your next meal the sugar is higher at that time than it would have been if the sugar had risen initially so that you begin your meal with higher blood sugars.,

I wrote to Sears and asked him why the chart from the study he did had no insulin results for twelve weeks as it did for six weeks. He said it is expensive to test insulin and if I wanted to know insulin levels I could fund a study myself. If I had anything other than web tv and no printer at the time I would have printed up this reply for posterity, I wrote back and said that if my whole claim to fame was that my diet controlled insulin, the one thing I would spend money on is testing for insulin. You can check out his book for yourself.

Fat causes insulin resistance. Fat on the body and fat in the diet. I suspect that eating meat and cheese between meals might get your numbers in a place that is comfortable to you temporarily but will do nothing in the long run to improve your sugar or insulin levels.

Dolores

flutetooter replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I am a fan of the "Zone" percentages because they work for me. 40% of the total calories as carbohydrates, 30% as protein, and 30% as good fats. These are not %s of the amounts that you see on your plate since most veggies contain a lot of fiber and water, and most fats are calorie dense - a little goes a long way. So - the veggies will cover about 3/4 of your plate.

My latest readings say that excess carbs become triglycerides which are fats. Of course, one much control the amount of fat in the diet also. The problem is, you have to eat something and carbs are not the best choice if your body is diabetic.

A small amount of protein along with a larger amount of low glycemic carbs and a little good fat surely does slow down the entry of the sugars into your body, but that is a good thing because then you don't get hungry all the time and overeat. Also, the blood sugar doesn't alternately spike and drop. I have read that the spikes cause more damage to your organs than a higher controlled number.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Dear SugarplumButtercup,
I agree with your opposition to postpone eating if the glucose reading is "too high".

For those who take insulin then the glucose readings are often used to determine the insulin dose. However I favor the strategy that focuses more on identifying a specific eating strategy and then sticking with it without regard to the most recent blood sugar reading. Blood sugar spikes generally come from excess dietary carbohydrate intake that is highly processed. The way to avoid spikes is to stick to an eating plan designed to avoid this.

When I published research in 2005 comparing popular diets, our research group demonstrated that the Atkins, Zone, Weight Watchers and Ornish (high whole grain vegetarian diet) plans each reduced glucose, insulin, and other risk factors to a similar degree because weight loss occured to a similar degree. For example, insulin reduction at 2, 6, and 12 months paralleled the amount of weight loss regardless of diet type, so Dr. Sears can point to that data to answer Delores' question.

DoloresTeresa replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
This is not the original of Dr. Dansinger's research but someone put this on the net:

http://www.ndwls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Diet_Dansinger_Comparision-of-AtkinsOrnishWW-Zone-Diets-1.pdf

It looks to me that at 12 months the Zone diet produced an increase in insulin.

The real shocker to me was how little the Ornish diet reduced blood pressure.

Dolores

Michael Dansinger, MD replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,
Looks like that paper you referenced above mistakenly left the minus sign off the 12-month insulin level. Zone diet produced a decrease in insulin level at 2, 6, and 12 months.

Here's the actual paper on JAMA:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/293/1/43/T4.expansion.html

Michael

DoloresTeresa replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
Many thanks. What surprises me is the results of the weight watchers study. It is my belief that the weight watchers diet is the SAD only with fewer calories. Does this study say that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you control calories?

Dolores

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.