Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Got my A1c report but a problem
jasononsweets posted:
I had a 9.9 in my last test but after being on Lantus it came to 7.4 which is not bad for me HOWEVER I had a white blood count of 13.0 which is high. In 2008 I had a WBC of 13.1 .... My doctor does not seem concerned and I want to know if anyone else has had a count this high and any problems? It has me concerned.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
When I was bitten by a dog, recently, yes...

Maybe a problem; maybe not. Do you smoke? Do you drink alcohol? Have you had a colonoscopy? Have you been sick, recently? A high wbc may indicate infection or inflammation...your blood sugar is periodically high and that causes inflammation, for sure.

Ask you doctor about a differential blood panel to investigate further.

jasononsweets replied to brunosbud's response:
I do smoke but feel great. I am going to ask to see the hemotologist which I did before and it came back normal but my doctor said the hemotogist is not as accurate as the regular blood test... but I disagree. However every time I get a blood test my White Blood Cells come back 12.9 to 13.1 ... I know this is not the proper thread for this but everyone here gets blood tests and just wondering if anyone else gets a high count?

mhall6252 replied to jasononsweets's response:
When I was on chemo and getting Neulasta shots, mine were sometimes as high as 20. Not sure something around 13 is a problem.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

jasononsweets replied to mhall6252's response:
Were yours high before the chemo?

No, they were normal.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001

Shouldn't your WBC have risen to detect the problem you had?

teddybear200 responded:
There are a number of resaons why someone can have high WBC counts. Please read the info from Mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-white-blood-cell-count/MY00161/DSECTION=causes

and yes smoking is one of the causes as well - but it also says to see your Dr.

I typically run high because I have autoimmune problems and infections running in my body, but I always talk to my Dr about it.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Chemo kills your immunity system. The Neulasta shot (Pegfilgrastim) is administered to encourage the bone marrow to regenerate the white cells, especially when chemo doses are administered in less time than your system can naturally regenerate the white cells. I seemed to be particularly sensitive to Neulasta and at one point my white count was above 20.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001

Anyone else ever have a high White Blood Cell count?

betaquartz replied to jasononsweets's response:
I have never had an elevated white count. However, my wife has had several over the last 20 years. These have in most cases led to some sort of infection being discovered. The last one showed up with a slow build up that elevated fast in the end. Final diagnosis was peritonitis due to a perforated colon. Don't get alarmed, but be aware that elevated white is the body trying to fight off infection.

jasononsweets replied to betaquartz's response:
I wouldn't be alarmed but they have been tested high since 2008 when it was 13.1... will see the hemotogist on Thursday.

jasononsweets replied to jasononsweets's response:
Can someone have an infection for two years? This has me confused...

teddybear200 replied to jasononsweets's response:
Did you even look at the link I left you? There are more causes for high white blood counts besides infections. Why are you not talking to your Dr? I mentioned I had high levels but you ignored my comments.

I have a hematologist that I work with on a regular basis and he always tells me what is going on and schedules more blood work to find the answers.

Click on the link below and read up on this please. At the end of the causes they continue to the next page so keep reading.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-white-blood-cell-count/MY00161/DSECTION=causes
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

jasononsweets replied to teddybear200's response:
Yes Teddy I did look at the Mayo site and they listed many conditions and not many were good.... very scary. My doc scheduled a hemo test on Thursday so guess I will have this on my little mind until then.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.