Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Diagnosised
EvangelistLyons posted:
I was just diagnosised with pre diabetics. I am not sure what to think at this time, my doctor explained it to me but to be honest he was very uncaring and just blunted it out to me. I would like to know what catagory this illness puts me into. How do I conquer this illness? Can, it be conquered? I am 51 years old, so I truly think God for allowing me to cross the 50 yard line and have this be the most devasting illness, beside asthma- which I have had since childhood- which I am well educated in. I want to be educated in this illness also. Please give me any information that you can. Thanks...

mhall6252 responded:
You are lucky to be diagnosed before having full-blown diabetes. You can conquer this by making some lifestyle changes and improving your diet.

Exercise regularly, even if it's just walking for 30 minutes a day.

If you need to lose weight, get started right away. Even a 10% drop can make a difference in controlling blood sugar.

Eat a diet that eliminates highly processed foods. Stick to lean proteins, healthy fats, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and small portions of whole grains.

For more detailed information, check out Dr. Dansinger's posts (see the links on the right side under his name and picture). He has some excellent advice on reversing diabetes.

And come back here often to read and ask questions.

Good luck!
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

betaquartz replied to mhall6252's response:
Yes, read Dr. Dansinger's posts. These will help you get a good handle on what to do about this disease. You can conquer it in the pre stage, and if vigilant never have to really worry about being diabetic. However if not you'll be welcomed to one of the biggest clubs of fussy eaters on the planet. Make the changes now!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to betaquartz's response:
Here is a link to Dr. D's profile where you can find all of his activity in the community:

Dr. Michael Dansinger

Also, his blog: Conquering Diabetes

Haylen

lpremkumar responded:
It is a common misconception that when the blood sugar is greater than 126, it is considered that someone has just developed diabetes, in fact almost 70-80 percent of the insulin producing beta cells have been destroyed by that time. Therefore, when someone is considered to have prediabetes, at least greater than 50 percent of the cells are healthy. Therefore, it is a matter of time one will become insulin dependent. Further, the insulin release mechanism is very unique; it requires the production of ATP, which provides energy for various processes. For insulin release to occur, ATP has to block a potassium channels that depolarizes the membrane generates an action potential during which calcium channels are activated and calcium flux is mandatory for insulin release. During the production of ATP, reactive oxygen species are produced. When the blood glucose levels are high, ATP has to be constantly produced to cause insulin release, constant production of these free radicals are toxic to the cells and promotes beta cell destruction. Insulin is normally released episodically, soon after the meal blood glucose levels increase triggering insulin release reducing the blood sugar level. Until the next meal the cells are able to eliminate the free radicals and get ready. However, when the blood glucose level is constantly high, the ATP generating mechanism is on all the time destroying the remaining cells both in prediabetes and diabetes states. The idea is to treat prediabetes state as a disease condition. Increases in lipid levels are treated with drugs without the symptoms of coronary artery disease. This will delay or prevent developing diabetes, because substantial number of insulin producing cells are intact at the prediabetes state.
Professor of Pharmacology

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.