Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need some advice really bad.
Anon_41614 posted:
I have noticed that lately I have been feeling bad in the evenings. I ate the 2 cheeseburger and fries meal at McDonalds at around 3 today. I went to my mothers house and she suggested I check my blood sugar because I felt a little light headed and tired. My Blood sugar was 284 so I waited an hour and it was down all the way to 126. Does this seem normal or should I see my physician about it? Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

mrscora01 responded:
Any time you are in the 200s, you should talk to your doc. This is not normal. Even though you were back to normal levels later, the 284 was much to high a peak.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

nutrijoy responded:
You definitely should consider consulting with your doctor but be prepared to provide him/her with a detailed history of your food intake and blood glucose meter readings as well (this will enable your doctor to provide you with a more accurate evaluation). If you don't already, maintain a food log that includes the date and time of all meals (and snacks), type & amount of food ingested, together with your respective meter readings. If you are going above 200 frequently after a meal, reducing your carbohydrate consumption is vital. For example, your McDonalds meal contains far too many grams of carbohydrate for a diabetic or even a pre-diabetic. The fries alone would impact my own blood glucose level and drive it up over 100 points unless I inject a dose of insulin to offset it. Some insulin-resistant patients who still produce plenty of insulin may be able to tolerate ingesting fries but it will still stress their beta cells even if their bodies are able to compensate. For optimum health, you should try to eat foods that will not drive your blood glucose levels more than forty points above their starting point two hours after a meal. Example: if your pre-meal level is 80, your after-meal target level should be 120 (or lower) two hours after taking the first bite of the meal in order to minimize the amount of potential glycation damage to your internal organs, blood vessel walls and nervous system.

If you have been feeling poorly lately in the evenings, have you been checking your blood sugar levels every evening? Is there any correlation?

jpkeokee replied to nutrijoy's response:
I plan on going out today and buying a glucose meter. Yesterday was the first time I checked it. I guess I just had a feeling it was up. Gonna try and check it everyday do see if maybe it was just a freak occurence if it is something I should be worried about. Thanks for advice.

auriga1 replied to jpkeokee's response:
I don't know about any feak occurence there. If you are experiencing those kind of high levels, there is an indication you may be pre-diabetic or diabetic.

My husband is a non-diabetic and I checked his blood sugar one half hour after a high carbohydrate meal. We were trying to ascertain the accuracy of my many meters. His blood sugar was 156. Two hours later it was 82. Any high consumption of carbs is going to raise anyone's blood sugar, but not to nearly 300 unless there is a problem. It will generally return to normal two hours later.

When you buy your meter, check what your blood sugar levels are two hours after you take your first bite of a meal. Any meal will do or you can do it at all three meals. You will be able to see how carbs affect your blood glucose. Not trying to scare you, but that 284 is not something you should see. Way too high.

I would call your doc, too. Have a glucose tolerance test done and get his/her opinion.

The carbs you eat convert to glucose in your bloodstream. You may have to be very careful in the future.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.