Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Natl Pancake Day 2/28 (recipes)
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
I found recipes on the American Diabetes Association website. Are you a pancake fan? Do you have a recipe you like?

Baked Apple Pancakes

Whole Wheat Pancakes

An Ihop near my house is open for free pancakes tomorrow. I might just take the kids in our PJ's after school

Haylen
FirstPrevious12NextLast

nutrijoy responded:
At first blush, I couldn't quite believe that the ADA was publishing pancake recipes containing wheat flour and sugar in the ingredients list. Despite the disclaimer, "Not all recipes presented here are necessarily appropriate for all people with diabetes, nor will all recipes fit into every meal plan..." both recipes can hardly be considered "diabetes friendly." While some diabetics can handle the carb load and BG surge, many others cannot. Even when the BG rise is only temporary, research studies show that it will still cause glycation damage to the body's sensitive proteins. Of course, for those of us who produce insufficient amounts of insulin, both recipes are contraindicated.

When there are far more diabetes-friendly alternatives using almond flour and stevia instead of wheat flour and sugar, one can't help wonder if perhaps Paula Deen had an influence in creating these recipes. Here are just a few examples of alternative pancake recipes with a significantly lower carb count and glycemic index/load:
Almond Flour (Extra Fluffy) Pancackes
Healthy Home Economist Almond Flour Pancakes
LowCarbDiets Low-Carb Pancakes
Note that they're not even hosted on "diabetes-oriented" sites; just low-carb sites. However, their recipes are much more diabetes-friendly than the ones posted on the ADA site.

teddybear200 responded:
Sorry I do not even pancakes. I think the last time I had a pancake was when my kids were 6 & 8 and that was 28 yrs ago. Enjoy your pancakes with your kids, do they still make the chocolate chip ones with smiles on them? That was my son's favorite.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

teddybear200 replied to teddybear200's response:
Sorry I forgot the word (like) in the first sentence.

DavidHueben responded:
I infrequently eat pancakes, but I really enjoy bacon Belgian waffles. I don't use a scratch recipe. I use a waffle mix from Krusteaz. Crumble some crispy bacon into the mix and bake in the Belgian waffle maker. Viola!!
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to nutrijoy's response:
NutriJoy,

Thanks you for posting that valuable information and more appropriate recipes! I am not diabetic and assumed that the ADA recipes would be "user friendly" for this community.

The almond flour fluffly pancakes are interesting - seltzer water makes them fluffy! The photo made my mouth water. I love blueberries.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to teddybear200's response:
Deb,

No chocolate chips for breakfast over here! But the kids do like when I make them in a "Micky Mouse" shape - three circles for the head, 2 ears and a raspberry for the nose!

Haylen

teddybear200 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen those sound cute. I was wondering if they still had the chocolate chip ones at Ihop? Did you go?

betaquartz replied to teddybear200's response:
I haven't had a pancake in a few years now. Everyonce in a great while I get a bite of my wifes-tooooo damn sweet! Don't miss them, now waffles. . . . that is a different story, but alas I won't have them either.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to teddybear200's response:
I decided to get some exercise - took the 7 year old and her scooter to a local park with a path around the lake. She scooted and I fast walked for 30 minutes. Then we went to Subway for "healthy" fast food because I have no food in the house.

Well, it turns out that Subway was giving everyone a huge chocolate chip cookie in celebration (?) of leap year today. Yes, I am weak! I ate that and a sandwich! No pancakes though!

teddybear200 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the laugh. A Chocolate chip cookie and a sandwich that isn't so bad.

teddybear200 replied to betaquartz's response:
beta I don't remember ever eating waffles. Speaking of food I guess every time my kids and I went out for breakfast I always had the same thing 2 eggs over easy and hash browns (crispy on both sides) no meat and an english muffin. I was never into the sweet breakfast's.

Now a days I skip the english muffin.

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

We don't make regular pancakes very often any more but we do make German Babies which are a little more of a crepe. We will usually split one and use fresh fruit for something sweet.

Preheat oven to 425

Blend together 1/2 c milk, 2 eggs and 1/3 c flour.

Preheat 6" skillet (nonstick or cast iron) in oven, add a pat of butter and when melted add mix. Bake until puffy and set about 10 minutes.

Serve immediately with fresh fruit. ( some prefer powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon)

enjoy!
accelerate out of the corners

nwsmom replied to dianer01's response:
Haylen, don't ever assume that the ADA recipes are diabetic friendly! They might be, if you cut the serving size in quarter, or smaller.

Nancy

mhall6252 responded:
The problem with recipes on the ADA site (in my opinion) is that I feel they are more geared towards Type 1 folks who typically eat "normal" American food and then adjust insulin doses as needed. The ADA would be wise to recognize the wisdom of sustituting whole grains, nut flours, and sweeteners other than sugar in their recipes.

Keep in mind that when I was diagnosed 10 years ago, I was told that no food was off limits, just that I would need to control my portions. And I was given a diet that included 180 grams of carbs a day which was going to help me lose about 15 pounds. Right!!! That diet came from a registered dietician. Then I did my homework and learned what I really needed to do and why I wanted to reduce the carb load and preserve my pancreas.

Things haven't changed that much with the ADA recommendations.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.