Skip to content
Bothersome awareness of rising blood sugar
flutetooter posted:
For several years I have been aware of the rise in blood sugar beginning about 15 minutes after a meal if it entails a rise of more than 20 points. This morning my blood sugar went from 97 before the meal to 147 1/2 hour afterwards, and then back down again in an hour. I measured it only because I became jittery, uncomfortable, and "brain fried" as far as concentrating or thinking. I was uncomfortable until it dropped back to about 110. These numbers may sound normal for most, but the effect leaves me unable to drive or carry out a normal amount of chores. I ate only salmon, low carb bread (5 grams), 1/2 grapefruit (9 grams), and cream in my coffee (2 grams), Maybe the fruit did it.

Does anyone else have this uncomfortable awareness at not very high sugar levels? If I eat a very small meal with almost NO grams of carbs, and it doesn't go over 125 or so immediatley after the meal, I have no problems. I recently started a very small dose of metformin, but the problem of feeling brain fried is getting worse. My A1c is 5.9.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

liladieni responded:
I get the same thing a lot of times, I get uncomfortable arounnd 130 for a high, and about 80 for a low. I felt it when I was on Metformin, and still feel it now on Glipizide. I haven't been able to coorelate it to anything in particular that I've eaten, if I get outside that range, I can feel it and it is uncomfortable.

Not sure why it is this way, but to me it seems kind of a tight range tofeel comfortable in. My a1C is 6.9.

mhall6252 responded:
I have no such signs, even if I go quite a bit higher. The symptoms you describe are how I felt when I was first diagnosed and my numbers were coming down - more of a reactive hypoglycemia feeling.

Are you sure you don't have something else going on?

Good luck getting to the root cause.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

nwsmom replied to mhall6252's response:
I have only had a noticeable response to high bG when it reach 300 or so (due to a heavy dose of IV corticosteroids). I got very hot, had a severe headache, and generally felt lousy. Took hours to go back down to a reasonable level...under 150!

And then the med it was given with didn't help! Bummer!

DavidHueben responded:
Just a couple of points/comments:

1. I guess I am fortunate. I have no "awareness" of physical symptoms as long as I maintain my glucose levels at the "normal clinical practice guidelines" (FBG between 70 - 99 and PPBG less than 140).

2. One time, six years ago, I was working at Ace Hardware after I retired. I was 57 years old at the time. An 18 year old kid and I were unloading 200 Weber gas grills from the back of a semi-trailer truck in humid 103? weather. I had skipped lunch. I became shaky, dizzy, and weak. I tested and my glucose level was 50. After re-hydrating and having something to eat, I was fine.

3. I realize that everyone reacts differently to ingested carbs. However, I would think it would be very difficult and unrewarding to have to restrict restrict myself to "meals" that are 15 - 16 grams of carbs and maintain such a strict range of blood glucose levels.

4. If your last A1C was 5.9% (average BG of 122) and you are not comfortable until it drops to 110, then you must be jittery, uncomfortable, and "brain-fried" quite often. That cannot be pleasant.

5. Flute, have you had an OGTT to determine your glucose response profile? If not, that might be in order.

David

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

flutetooter replied to DavidHueben's response:
Thanks David. This is an ongoing problem for me and I am working on it from many different angles. The last two days I have kept even better data (big bore, but helpful in the long run) on exactly what and how much I ate; how long after eating I began to feel anxious or "fried" blood levels at that point; and how long afterwards I felt normal and the blood levels at that time.

It seems that I need to stay away from any fruit in the morning, as well as to keep the carb count under 9 for a snack or 15-20 for any meal, with mainly low glycemics. I can tolerate a half cup of fresh fruit just before exercise when it is sure to be bused up quickly, or with one other carb such as greenbeans. Yes, it is very limited.

I am in touch with my doctor and take my metformin with the dinner meal. I have my main up and down sugar problems in the morning, so maybe I need an extended release metformin. I probably should have been on meds a lost sooner, but was keeping it in check by eliminating most carbs. It will probably take several months to find some answers.

Yes, I have had an OGTT and my two hour number was 90. However, the quick rise and lower dip at the end are an indication of not enough body insulin to counteract the sugars at the begining of a meal, and then producing too much insulin which makes a hypo ending to the test. I have also had thyroid tests, cortisol, fasting insulin and am working on the HOMA formula with my husband tomorrow to look at beta cell%. Maybe an adrenal panel will follow. I know others have the same problem of over awareness.

You are right in that the greater part of my day is spent being "brain fried" and unstable as far as driving or going on long walks by myself. I also can't function doing normal household chores at times. I also have a neurologist that I will ask about this next week.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.