Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Checking my blood glucose levels less than 2 hours postpprandial
adaptomom posted:
Hi Everyone,
Would love some input on this. Normally I have pretty good numbers 2 hours post prandial--rarely over 100. Curious, I began checking my numbers 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after eating and am worried by the results. Depending on what I ate, my numbers in this time frame have ranged from 116 up to 186 (spaghetti-big mistake, I know). But one time I had had 3/4 of a small apple with some dry-roasted nuts and a slice of string cheese, and 45 minutes later my blood glucose level was 136. My last A1C, in November, was 6.0, up from 5.9 the two previous times (I was diagnosed in 8/2010 and have only had those three A1C tests). Should I be worried? I have lost 50 lbs since diagnosis, and stay pretty much at no more than 45-60 grams of carbs at a meal, and 15-30 at a snack. Straying from the pasta is an obvious, easy solution, but for an apple to raise my numbers like that concerns me. Please share your thoughts...Thanks!

phototaker responded:
You're doing really well. If I eat fruit, my numbers go up, too.
Losing 50 lbs. is wonderful. Are you also exercising? I might suggest doing that, also.

Pasta and breads were my downfall....among other things. I started having the whole wheat pastas, the thin spaghetti, and only once a week. That helped. I would only put in the water a small amount. If you make too much, you might eat more. If I make a little, I'm not prone to putting more water on to boil and doing that again.

I don't see why one "small" would hurt, especially when you have almonds or string cheese with it. It seems like a good snack, unless you have too many nuts.

My A1C was at 5.8, 5.9, 6.0, for 4 1/2 years, (doing this by diet and exercise)and then it went up. I wasn't as strict during that time. I'm working harder now to keep my numbers lower. I also started a low dose of Metformin. I find it really difficult to be that strict for the rest of my life. Some people are able to do it. By not being strict, I'm saying having that no sugar added ice cream once in a while, or a dressing on my salad that's not a vinaigrette one. Even small additions like this can send up my A1C number. I'm trying for the vinaigrette dressing more now. Vinegar is supposed to be good for diabetics, as well as cinnamon. Just continue to test and tweak, which is what I do. If I go higher, I check to see what I've eaten that might have caused that. Some people here have no trouble with fruit.

DavidHueben responded:
I would not worry about those results. Stick with the 2 hour PP.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

adaptomom replied to phototaker's response:
Thanks, Phototaker. I do exercise-swim, treadmill, free weights-but have not for the last 4 weeks due to a scrape on my shin that became infected (2 rounds of oral antibiotics and it's cleared up). Planning to return to the poos tomorrow. I forgot to mention I also take metformin 500 mg 2x/day, and have been since diagnosed. Would love to try without it but I also, don't know if I could be that strict the rest of my life. Thanks for the encouragement!

adaptomom replied to DavidHueben's response:
Thanks, David; I think in this case too much knowledge is a dangerous thing. I will try to return to 2 hrs PP.

phototaker replied to adaptomom's response:
Sounds like you've got the exercise going for you! Great!
I know when I was sick for two weeks, and not exercising, I had to be pretty strict. Exercise does help me feel better. As far as bs numbers, I know a lot of people go lower with exercise. It actually makes my numbers go higher...or did. Now at UJam or zumba, I don't do the intensity I did before, and do it at a lower intensity. I think I was doing too much. For whatever reason, maybe the Metformin, I seem to be doing much better at coming my numbers more level. I take the lowest amount of Metformin just at dinnertime. It's an ER one, that goes throughout the day.

DavidHueben replied to adaptomom's response:
I take a pretty conventional approach to testing (when I do test). That includes fasting blood glucose and two hour posr-prandial glucose. If those numbers are normal and I have a good A1C, then I am a happy camper.

I believe that those who test at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc. are being a little obsessive. Just my opinion. I know my doctor would put little stock in those readings.

David
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

auriga1 responded:
Hi. Just a point in fact: everyone's blood sugar goes up after they eat - everyone. There are some people whose blood sugar will go WAY up after eating carbs, especially the simple carbs, like you did. Those not diabetic have their blood sugar return to normal within the span of two hours. Normal being an average of 85. That is documented. We also tested that theory in our lab at school amongst 20 students. Everyone's blood sugar was in the 80's.

As others have said, stick to the 2 hr. pp. I was diagnosed as an uncontrolled diabetic and was given intensive insulin therapy. Still am on insulin. My first A1C was 13.2 and I managed to get it down to 5.8. Since I've been under control my A1C has been 6.2, 6.0, 5.8, 6.0.

Only a personal opinion, I would not eat 60 grams of carbs at one meal. If that is OK with your doc or dietician, by all means. I try and stick to 20-45 per meal. Also, I try not to snack. Any carb, including that apple you ate would raise my blood sugar quite a bit. I can't eat carbs period without using insulin. I realize fruit is healthy and I can't stand the thought that I cannot eat as much as I want. I used to graze on fruit all day long. That one makes me a little bit angry.

Congratulations on the weight loss. That's great.

adaptomom replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks, auriga1. It's amazing how far your A1C has come down-that's wonderful!
My dietician actually advised the following regimen: 3-4 carb exchanges per meal, 1-2 per snack. That's what I've been trying to stick to (she said "you'll probably shed a few pounds once you cut down on the carbs"- I thought maybe I'd lose 15-20 but was not expecting to lose 50), but I'm learning that a carb is not a carb...30 grams of one carb seems to raise my blood sugar a lot, while 30 grams of another has very little effect. Thanks for your input; it's reassuring to read the results from your lab school.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.