Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The telephone and your doctor....
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you use the phone to communicate with your doctor or your doctor's office?

When my husband had vertigo last month, I was blown away that the very, very busy ENT doctor called to check in 2x.

Do you have a doctor that is responsive to your phone calls? Do you ever speak with them on the phone?

Haylen

Fun fact: Alexander Graham Bell patents the Telephone today in 1876.

DavidHueben responded:
My ophthalmologist doesn't always call back personally, but one of her staff is usually prompt in returning calls.

Same experience with PCP.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

laura2gemini2 responded:
My endo has an MA named Naomi who fields most phone calls for him. She's awesome and knows who all of the patients are, and if there is something really important that needs the dr right then and there she does get him. She always calls me when there are issues.

teddybear200 responded:
I do a lot of portal communication with my PCP. She responses quicker to an email (since they are now on it with every patient) than with a phone call. Her PA typically calls me back within an hour - but she has personally called me after hrs to check on me and/or give me updates from a test.

My neurosurgeon personally called me to tell me he needed to reschedule a follow up visit.

But it seems to be rule that with all my other Drs I only talk to them after I spoke to the PA or nurse first - they relay messages back and forth then maybe I get the Dr.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

cookiedog replied to teddybear200's response:
My endocrinologist is totally into using computers to communicate. I send him my BS readings on a little spread sheet he provides.

He answers all questions within 24 hours (usually about 2 hours) by e-mail.

He will sometimes send me an interesting article which he distributes to all his patients.

I have not talked with him on the phone in about 12 months but I have tons of contact with him..

mhall6252 responded:
I've had several doctors involved in my breast cancer treatment who called me personally after a procedure to see how I was doing. My current PCP uses an electronic Portal and I have found that when I email her, she responds very quickly. I haven't needed to call her yet.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to mhall6252's response:
Interesting! None of my doctors provide email to the patients. All of the offices have a "front desk" email that goes to the staff but no answers directly from a doctor.

My dad is a medical malpractice attorney - I wonder how often email shows up in court cases now?

Haylen

cookiedog replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have doctors at two medical schools. They are both users of the MyChart system. My appointments are made by the computer which notifies me of the time and place. The system sends me a reminder one week before the appointment and 3 days before the appointment.

This is so much better than dealing with doctors and phones that I can't believe it.

My DH had fairly major surgery in November. The day after he was discharged, we had a question. I know I would have had to make multiple calls to ever get the surgeon to call me back or leave a message with a nurse, wait on her to ask a doctor and then call me back if I used the phone so I used the MyChart system..

We got a response from my e-mail in 45 minutes. The surgeon told us what to do and then asked me to update him four hours later by e-mail. Four hours later, he decided to put my DH back in the hospital for a couple more days. All that would have been a nightmare using phones.

teddybear200 replied to cookiedog's response:
Cookiedog I so love the MyChart portal system. That is how I email back and forth with my PCP. Got to love electronics.
One day I will soar on wings of an Eagle.
Want to know more about me - come join us at www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.