Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stopping metformin and constipation
An_243543 posted:
I was on metformin for a few months because my doctor felt it might help with my weight. I am not diabetic though and it was making me sick especially a lot of stomach problems (diarrhea). The day after stopping it I became extremely constipated and in a lot of abdominal pain. Because of the constipation I am also peeing a lot. I went to the ER where they said nothing else was wrong with me except some swollen lymph nodes in my lower right stomach. Has anyone else experienced constipation after coming off metformin? It has been 3 weeks now since I have been off it and I am still feeling horrible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

nutrijoy responded:
Metformin has been linked to B12 deficiencies (it blocks B12 absorption in some people). B12 deficiencies can result in a whole host of health problems including constipation. Since the first rule of thumb is to do no harm, the first step is to check with your physician to see what he/she recommends. If the answer you receive has failed to resolve your problem, try supplementing with a sublingual form of B12 (methylcobalamin) because of its superior absorption. Dosage is one tablet dissolved under the tongue up to three times a day. B12 is a water-soluble vitamin and any excess will be excreted in the urine so there's virtually no risk of an overdose. Then add a good fiber supplement to your diet that includes insoluble fiber such as Metamucil. You should probably try taking the latter at least twice a day with meals. Hope this helps resolve your problem.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.