Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Confused and Blindsided
ShelboDee posted:
Okay so to start, I am a 21 year old female. I'm not in the best of shape and according to my BMI I am overweight, but not near the obese range.

I went in to see my regular Doctor yesterday because I was frequently thirsty and urninating more often than usual. I also dropped 35 pounds of weight without trying or dieting within a year. And from word of mouth I've heard these are diabetes symptoms. So I went into the appointment with these concerns.

Sure enough, my blood pressure was through the roof. 140/100. So they took a urine sample and it came back extremely abnormal. I had sugar in my urine. The number on the chart said 2000. And my AC1 was 12.0.

My Doctor seemed very concerned and baffled that I didn't show any signs of fatigue or any other kind of symptom because my numbers were those of someone "who should be in the hospital."

She told me on the spot without blood work that I was Type 2 Diabetic. I questioned her because I thought blood work was the definite diagnosis of diabetes. But she said my numbers were so bad that she was certain I had T2D. She did take blood anyway though.

My question is this...I went in a year ago to the same doctor for heartburn reasons. They took a urine sample AND blood, and everything came back perfectly normal. No abnormalities. Just a year ago...So how is it that I have such extreme numbers in my urine to where my Doc would automatically diagnose me for T2D?

How definite is a urine sample when it comes to diabetes? Clearly something is wrong if there is sugar in my urine, but I have I have my doubts.

Another thing is, just about a year ago, I got a new job that has really put my body into stress. I have to be there at 4 every morning which leaves me having to sleep in intervals throughout the day. I don't get a full 7-8 hour night of sleep until the weekends. It's also very active, which led me to think that's where my weight loss came from. The thirst and urination only started about 3 or maybe 4 months ago from what I can remember.

Anyone have any advice? Are these clear signs that I could definitely have T2D? Is there a chance something else is wrong?
I completely wasn't expecting something like this. I'm petrified

DavidHueben responded:
An A1C of 12.0% (along with glucose in the urine) is pretty clear evidence of Type II diabetes.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

ShelboDee replied to DavidHueben's response:
I understand that. But how is it that my symptoms developed in a year and so quickly? And I thought losing fat and weight helped in diabetes? I lost almost 40 pounds, yet I'm still on the extreme spectrum of the diabetes scale?
I'm just confused.

davedsel57 replied to ShelboDee's response:
This is just an unfortunate fact of life. Some people develop diabetes and the signs are clear. Some have few or no symptoms and go undiagnosed and untreated for years. Everyone is an individual and their body reacts differently.

Here is a link to the WebMD Diabetes Center: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

You would benefit by speaking with a dietician, nutritionist or a Certified Diabetes Educator. The latter - a CDE - is especially helpful when learning how to control Diabetes.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

ShelboDee replied to davedsel57's response:
But why is it that me losing 40 pounds hasn't had any positive affect what so ever? If I started to develop diabetes about a year ago, and since then have lost 40 pounds...why have I gotten so bad? If anything, me losing weight made it worse!

My doctor is telling me to just lose weight and I can reverse it since I caught it early...but I've already lost weight. And it got this bad. So what's the deal?
I just don't understand it.

nutrijoy replied to ShelboDee's response:
Your age is a big plus but if your BMI indicates that you're overweight and your daily living pattern involves lots of stress, it can definitely unduly strain your metabolic functions. The high blood pressure isn't helping either. If the 40 pounds of weight loss you have already experienced was intentional (i.e., was an active task on your part), it is generally a good thing and will help reduce insulin resistance. However, unintentional weight loss is not a good thing and you mentioned that your's was "without trying." That's an indication that your weight reduction was caused by the disease process itself. When blood sugars are too high, patients with diabetes tend to urinate a lot. This causes dehydration and may be responsible for part of the weight loss. Unfortunately, diabetes can also cause a breakdown of muscle tissue because your body is unable to properly make use of the food that you eat and thus metabolizes the proteins in your muscle tissue instead. That's a very unhealthy form of weight loss. Modifying your diet and engaging in daily exercise (leading to further weight reduction) could lead to remission. I would highly recommend that you listen to your doctor and get educated on the requisite dietary and other lifestyle changes that are critical if you want to master this challenge and take control of your life again.

Diabetes is essentially a disease of carbohydrate intolerance so eliminating or significantly reducing starchy foods in your diet is a must and that includes most prepared foods made with ingredients that contain flour, starches and/or potatoes. You biggest advantage right now is your age. Don't squander that advantage by procrastinating or wallowing in self-denial. There are lots and lots of information available online at your fingertips including Dr. Dansinger's tips and resources linked on the upper right panel of the page. Good luck girl. We're all rooting for you and post back as often as you require or desire.

anon123567 responded:
with your symptoms and the rapid weight loss, I would question your diagnosis, you may be type 1.

brunosbud replied to ShelboDee's response:
There's a right way and a wrong way to lose weight. Weight loss through the ravages of uncontrolled blood sugar and skyrocketing insulin spikes, aint the best...

No need to panic. Your body sent you a dramatic and urgent plea for action. You can recover from this setback. Do the smart thing, you'll be feeling good and all will be right, again...

Not too hard to understand, is it?

Anon_2909 replied to ShelboDee's response:
Years ago, I had uncontrolled diabetes. My blood sugar was so high I dropped 60 pounds in 4 months. Yes, I looked good but I felt miserable. I had horrible yeast infections, I was downing a 12 pack of soda in a day, I was constantly tired, etc.

Your doctor is right about the weight loss. By losing weight you can possibly control your diabetes by diet only.

Find a CDE and make an appointment so they can teach you to count carbs and help you might the right choices for you.

phototaker responded:
You might not know very much about the A1C test, which tests about 3 months of your blood sugars, much better than the one blood test.

You definitely have diabetes. Your high blood sugars may have caused some damage this past year. The stress probably didn't help. That might be why your pancreas might not be working as well....We also don't know what types of foods you're eating now. Did you eat differently when stressed out? Do you stay away from sugar and white flour things, like bread, white rice and pasta? For me, just having pineapple sets my blood sugar readings up high. I had bought some a few weeks in a row, and noticed my numbers going up. I have to be very careful with fruit. My body is really sensitive, and I have to watch and make sure not to have anything that would send up my bs numbers easily.

Some people when they lose the 40 lbs. actually can regulate their blood sugars more easily. Are you testing your bs a few times a day? (first thing in the morning, and 2 hours after a meal) This will give you an idea of how you're doing with your food choices. Try to keep your numbers under 100. Talk to a dietician about foods to eat.

Don't be scared...just start exercising every day, even just a 30 minute walk would work. I do UJam and salsa dancing at the gym, swim, and go out west coast swing dancing. Some people use a treadmill, play basketball, run, etc. Pick something you like doing...maybe hiking, etc. This should all help you to lead a great life. Just ask questions, and we'll try to answer you. Read up on diabetes. Learn as much as you can. Good luck!

hootyowl2 responded:
You could have been a 'mild' diabetic for some time and it did not show up on tests until now. Diabetes is very fickle.

I had undiagnosed gestational with all 3 of my children in the 1970s. Of course, back then it was pee in the cup once a month, and unless your numbers are sky high--like yours are now--it will not show in your urine. Your sugars must be about 400 or higher to show up in the urine. 400 is high enough to go to the ER according to my doctors. 2,000 [that is what you meant isnt it ?> is enough to kill you. We had a poster here once whose neighbor had such numbers, and the neighbor died.

I had diabetes for many years before it showed up on tests. Your sugars go up and down a lot with T2 [I am not necessarily T2, but whatever. I was not underweight when I had my kids and just fine afterward. I was slightly overweight when it was diagnosed, and working at an extremely stressful job. Some meds rx'd to me back in 2006 made me gain a lot of weight, and I am still trying to ditch the lard...>

No one wants you to panic, but do what you must to get those numbers DOWN ASAP. I hope your doctor put you on insulin. Pills will not bring those numbers down. Take a deep breath, and try to relax. You CAN bring those numbers down, and do it carefully. Insulin is no big deal, except it is expensive; It works, and it is what your body needs at least for now. It might need it for life.

If your doctor or his nurse did not show you how, or you just want to take the instructions a bit slower, look up "how to give an insulin shot" on your search bar. You will get loads of websites on how to do this. Pick any hospital site you like, look at several to see which one you like best, and then take your time learning how to do this. It is not hard, little kids can learn how to do it. The best ones have pictures with written instructions, and make it very easy to do. In a few days, you will be a pro at doing this. It wont hurt as much as testing your blood sugars. I did it in my legs and arms until I felt comfortable trying it in my stomach. It took awhile on that part, but I did learn, and most of the time I do it that way. Reaching around back is kind of tricky...

STRESS is one big reason your blood sugars are so terribly high. That may be why it showed up all of a sudden as you say.

140/100 bp is not great, but it is not sky high either. I wish mine would stay down that low. Mine yo-yo's all over the place, but can go well up around 200 or more... So far, the meds do not control it more than part time. They have been that way since the late 90s...

Keep in touch here. Everyone will help you get those numbers down.

Hooty

hootyowl2 replied to hootyowl2's response:
I meant to say that I was underweight when I had my kids, the 'not' does not belong in that sentence. I was barely 100 lbs dripping wet, and 5' 4" tall..

Hooty

Helpful Tips

Make a Plan to Eat Right & Move More
Being a diabetic doesn't always mean drastically changing everything you eat, or sacrificing the things you can't live without. But it does ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.