Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
to much walking
An_244263 posted:
I have type 2 10mgs of gliberide. I work for a place running three press most of the time, some days I can walk up to 30 thousand steps at work that is not including at home also. I have been trying to fine out if there is to much walking. My A1c went up last fall when I took this job and it has come down one point but not back at the 6 yet and I am worried. My doctor just put my meds from 5 mgs to the 10mgs there is also no diabetic doctor in the Greenville Michigan area so I just see a regular doctor. I have made a comment about seeing a diabetic doctor and he just says I am ok.

davedsel57 responded:
My understanding is that the maximum daily dose for Glyburide is 5 mg per day. That is the dose I take, plus other meds.

You need to research the Glyburide to confirm what I said. Discuss this with your doctor asap.

Usually and endocrinologist is only needed if you are having trouble controlling your diabetes. If I read your post correctly, your last HBA1C was 6.1, which is actually very good. You should be able to work with your regular doctor to control your diabetes.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here's a link where you can research Glyburide:

WebMD Drugs & Medications A - Z

Are you having symptoms that you think might be caused by walking? If you feel that you are having health problems caused by too much activity, please discuss with your doctor.

Haylen

brunosbud responded:
30,000 steps plus represents roughly 15 miles/day. My burn rate for each mile walked is around 90kcals...

So, you're burning approximately 1,350 kcals/day just at work, alone.

If it's two 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch, I see a problem with that, yeah...

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
Correction:

"So, you're burning approximately 1,350 kcals/day just at work, alone"

in addition to your bmr consumption which is about 600 in 8 hrs...

2000 kcals/shift! Wow!!!!!

byeakey replied to davedsel57's response:
It was at 6 before I took this job then it took a jump to 8 and 6 months later it is down to 7. I don't see a diabetic dr. i have asked him to set me up with on and his answer is we have thing undercontrol and I don't feel it is undercontrol. I had to fight to go back to the classes to relearn things, that is the way my insurance is my dr. know has to send me. Thanks for the information on the glyburide I will look that up.

byeakey replied to brunosbud's response:
It is two 15 minute breaks no half hr. lunch

dianer01 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi davedsel:

I too am on glyburide along with metformin. I have been prescribed as much as 7.5 mg per day of glyburide but am currently on 5 mg. According to drugs.com 20mg is the max dosage. I could imagine some pretty wild swings on that type of dosage. The standard dosing is first thing in the morning but I found with my doctors blessing if I split the tablet and take half morning and half night I have fewer episodes of low blood glucose and have more consistant results.

http://www.drugs.com/glyburide.html
accelerate out of the corners

byeakey replied to dianer01's response:
I am wondering if I did the one in the morning and one in the afternoon if that would help. My doctor just told me to take them what ever way it is easy for me to remember. Thank you to everyone you have helped with a lot of question I have had, I can't get from the doctors office I go to.

dianer01 replied to byeakey's response:
Please do talk with your doctor before making any changes to your meds. Like I said, I did this with my doctors knowledge. At least give the doc a call if you find it difficult to get there.

di
accelerate out of the corners

byeakey replied to dianer01's response:
I did plan on talking to him but I am also trying to fine a different dr. that wants to help me stay at good place intstead of hearing him say live with it or put me down. Thank you

nutrijoy replied to byeakey's response:
Glyburide dosages are normally taken just once per day with breakfast or your first main meal. You can split the dose but make sure it is taken with food and that your split dosage is consistent from one day to the next. However, be aware that glyburide, a second-generation sulfonylurea, is associated with hypoglycemia more often than most other sulfonylureas. If it is taken too late in the day, be alert to any sign of possible hypoglycemic events in the evening hours (this is a huge variable with some people experiencing hypo/excess hunger episodes and others who experience no difference). Be sure to keep a supply of glucose tablets on hand, just as a precaution, and do a finger-stick test to confirm, if applicable. Your new (relatively) job could also be causing more stress than you realize which will drive up your blood sugar levels.

From the diabetes.emedtv.com site: Your healthcare provider may increase your glyburide dose, if needed. The dose can be gradually increased up to 20 mg daily (or up to 12 mg daily for micronized glyburide). The dosage should be increased by 2.5 mg or less per week (or up to 1.5 mg per week for micronized glyburide).

davedsel57 replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thank you for this extremely helpful information, NutriJoy. My doctor was under the impression that the 5mg per day I am on was the maximum. At my next visit in July, I may talk with him about an increased dose if my HBA1C has not improved.

You insights here are much appreciated.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

byeakey replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thank you for all the informantion it has helped a lot i some question I needed answered

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.