Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
breakfast
DoloresTeresa posted:
What do you guys eat for breakfast?

Dolores
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DavidHueben responded:
I usually have a bowl of Wheaties or Cheerios with skim milk, Splenda, and a half of English muffin with peanut butter.

DMH
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

davedsel57 responded:
Usually protein plus carbs, like eggs and whole-grain toast with butter. Sometimes cereal (cold or cooked oatmeal) with milk and a piece of string cheese. Sometimes a small bagel toasted with cream cheese. I like to try and vary all meals each day.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

nutrijoy responded:
Breakfast is usually quite varied for me. The variety includes omelets, pancakes, fritters, vegetable dishes, even hearty soups; usually eaten with small amounts of raw tree nuts, cheese or fruit. The pancakes and fritters are ultra low-carb and do not contain wheat flour or gluten; fruit is limited to berries and apple slices.

DoloresTeresa replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks. I do not have a problem with breakfast at home. Usually oatmeal with a banana. However, since I do not eat any fats or oils, I think breakfast is the hardest meal to order in a restaurant. My brother and I are going to spend a couple of weeks traveling. In a restaurant for breakfast, I usually order two pieces of whole wheat toast (I don't think it is ever really whole grain) and two hard boiled eggs and a couple of slices of tomato and lettuce. When it comes to the table I take the yolks out and make a sandwich of the bread, vegetables and egg whites. I am even afraid to order oatmeal because I know they make big pots of it usually with milk or cream.

Dolores

dianer01 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores:

Why do you eat no fats or oils? Compared to many I know little about nutrition but doesn't the human body need some fat even if in vegetable form such as nuts or avocados?
accelerate out of the corners

nutrijoy replied to dianer01's response:
The following two links will provide you with a better understanding of the vital role that essential fatty acids play in human nutrition and physiology. Fats, as a class, have been demonized far too long in the minds of the general public and even some medical professionals. To set the record straight, you may find the information on these two sites to be enlightening:

DHA-EPA Omega-3 Institute FAQs
WebMD Fat Facts

Eventually, the scientific community is going to get caught up and the new FAT (in terms of their effect on our bodies) will be carbohydrates.

DoloresTeresa replied to dianer01's response:
Diane, I do not use the bottled processed oils on the grocery shelves nor butter or lard etc. However, I am not vegan and do occasionally eat wild caught salmon and I often throw a small can of minced clams into a vat of vegetable soup.

Dr. Fuhrman and others say that nuts, flaxseed and other seeds, and avocados also contain the fatty acids so if you are not eating meat and fish you can get essential fats in this way. Vegetables and grains also contain fats.

Dr. Fuhrman must actually think otherwise though because on his website he sells plant derived DHA. Apparently some people, especially older people, cannot efficiently convert a-linolenic acid to DHA. (If that is where you can get DHA).

If you talk to a vegan he will say--the fish gets the omega threes from eating plants so it is ok to cut out the middle man.

Dr. Fuhrman also thinks that without nuts, seeds and avocados etc. you are in danger of suffering from parkinson's or other types of tremors. However, some members of my family did have tremors but they certainly never avoided fats and oils.

I do not eat the processed fats or oils and very little animal flesh and no dairy because (and here my opinion differs radically from some on the group), I am pretty sure it is fat (including all the fat you get when you eat meat and full fat dairy) that causes insulin resistance --whatever the mechanism. (also fat on the body. most t2's are fat.)

In the 20's and 30's both Himsworth and Sweeny fed healthy young men a high fat diet which caused them to test diabetic (Atkins says the same thing in his first book which I have not found yet). They fed the young healthy men a diet very high in sugar and they did not test diabetic. Anderson repeated this type of experiment in the 80's. A high fiber low fat diet of mostly carbs lowered blood sugars.

Dolores

dianer01 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Thank you NutriJoy and Dolores for your insights. I have learned a lot by following posts on this board. I appreciate differing opinions and have changed/moderated some of my habits. I have not and will not give up all red meat or processed foods. I have however moved away from a starch based diet, increased veggie intake and have reduced the amount of red meat consumed.

Dolores, I apologize for misintrepreting your statement about avoiding fats and oils. I do understand avoiding many processed oils and much animal fat but I assumed you meant all fats with your statement "since I do not eat any fats or oils".

Thank you, again for sharing your point of view.
accelerate out of the corners

nwsmom replied to dianer01's response:
My breakfast usually consists of fat-free, artificially sweetened (stevia or splenda), preferably Greek, yogurt, and one slice of low carb whole grain toast, or 1/2 English muffin with real butter. Sometimes I fix an egg or egg beater omelet instead, or, rarely, have 1/2 cup of kashi cereal with about 1/8 c of milk. I'm not a morning person, so the idea of cooking early in the morning is really frightening!

Nancy

fcl responded:
Old -fashioned stone ground (I am a Scot and consider steel-cut to be an abomination, it kills all texture) oats, cooked with water and salt and surrounded in a lake of icy milk.

Tomato05 responded:
Before gym:
- 2 egg-whites with alfalfa sprouts and fresh parsley and cilantro, seasoned with Thai spice and a little fish/worcestershire sauce.
- 1/2 piece of fruit, maybe a tablespoon or two of plain skim yogurt.

After gym:
- protein shake made with 1/2 the amount of whey powder for a normal shake.
- other half of the fruit ate before gym.
-if I had a long run, I sometimes drink 1/2 cup of V8 veg juice too, to replace some salt and minerals.

DoloresTeresa replied to dianer01's response:
Diane, some believe it is possible to get all essential fatty acids from fruits, vegetables, grains and beans. There is something on the net called Cronometer. I have never used it but I believe you can put your day's menu on it and see how you are doing as far as nutrients in your diet. I do not know if it will tell you if you are getting all the essential fatty acids.

There are traditional cultures on extremely low fat and meat diets who are not plagued by diabetes or heart disease or stroke.

One culture that ate practically no carbs at all were the traditional Inuit. They are not long lived and 500 year old frozen mummies have been found in the arctic that showed evidence of atherosclerosis. Oddly enough, the traditional Inuit ate less fat than one would think--less than in our culture--only about 25%. They will eat lots of fat in times of scarcity but they fed their dogs on the fat of the animals they hunted. The dogs live on fat and snow.

I don't think anyone knows what the optimal diet is. People advocate a paleolithic hunter gatherer diet but no human fossils have been found so far in which the person lived to be more than fifty years old. Nature sees to it that we live to reproduce and raise our young. I personally would like to fool mother nature and live healthfully (but non reproductively) into old age.

There are "blue zones" around the world where people live to be old while maintaining their health. They mostly eat a vegetarian or vegan diet with very little animal flesh or fat. However, there is usually something else in their environment which might account for their long life.

Dolores

Illinoislady responded:
I am newly diagnosed 1/2012 so I am still experimenting. For some reason I have not been very hungry in the morning but I do have to take quite a few meds. So here is what I do. On arising I test, then I get a small coffee 1/2 shot of coffee w/8 oz skim milk then I have either a slice of multi-grain bread w/peanut butter abot 1 TBS, or I make a quick smoothie of ice, skim milk, whey protein. banana, fresh strawberries and raw kale (it is almost a full blender) Once in awhile I will make an egg and I try and have oatmeal at least twice a week. Sometimes just for lunch. After that I take my meds. Sometimes I test later on, but most of the time I wait to take my 2nd test after lunch or dinner. This seems to work for me and my numbers are not really too high. Under 120 (varies) in the morning and never over 145 any other time.

jukeboxbilly replied to nutrijoy's response:
hey,NutriJoy i cant seem to find any pancake mix that does not do good for me..my readings are always too high,what is your recipe for your pancakes???

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.