Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cholesterol Control
angelintrini posted:
A friend of mine who is diabetic told me she takes non-flushable niacin for cholesterol control. Does anyone know of this and if it helps?

davedsel57 responded:
Here is the information about this medication from the WebMD Drug & Supplements area: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-93499-Niacin Flush Free Oral.aspx?drugid=93499&drugname=Niacin Flush Free Oral&source=2

Right now I am taking a prescription medication to reduce high cholesterol but this is very interesting to me. I know other members in this community are taking niacin and may come and share their personal experiences.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

dianer01 responded:
Angel:

I believe your friend takes non-flushing niacin vs. non-flushable. Depending who you talk to there is a difference of opinion between non-flushing and the regular niacin.

In addition to changing diet and exercise habits both my husband and I have had some success with inproving our cholesterol numbers. I take non-flushing and he takes the regular.

Neither of us had tremendously high numbers and we combined the supplement with diet and exercise.

I have not done any real research but am satisfied with my results. It is also possible the exercise and diet change made more difference than the addition of niacin.
accelerate out of the corners

angelintrini replied to dianer01's response:
Thank you Diane. I believe it was non-flushing.....my mistake. My sister, tried regular niacin and her skin started itching all over and she started feeling really warm. She discontinued it immediately.

angelintrini replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave, thanks for sending the info. I will check it out.

dianer01 replied to angelintrini's response:
Hi,

Yes, the red face and itching may be one of the big differences in the types of niacin available. Has your sister tried any of the non flushing niacins?

Thanks for the smile regarding the different types of niacin.

di

laura2gemini2 responded:
Some doctors and rphs suggest taking a baby aspirin at the same time as the niacin to help alleviate the flushing.

Always talk to your doctor before adding anything new though to make sure it's ok for you.

Dianne, she has not tried the non flushing but plans too. She is not diabetic, eats pretty healthy and exercises a lot yet her cholesterol is high. Was reduced recently...gone vege... but can go lower. Doctor thinks it could be hereditary. My cholesterol done on 27/10/11 was hdl 32 (know it should be higher) ldl 106 (should be lower). My report states Cardiac Risk Factor 4.8 with the Avg. Risk being 3.5 - 6.4). I know the deal..diet and exercise, but don't mind trying the non-flushing myself. Will talk to my doctor at my next visit.

angelintrini replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Laura, I guess this applies to the regular niacin and not the non flushing.

I hope you have success with the cholesterol, sometimes you have to keep trying different things until you finds what works for you.

Diane, just curious...how many mg's of the non flushing do you take?

500 mg both morning and night.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.