Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Would you have surgery to put diabetes into remission?
Haylen_WebMD_Staff posted:
A new study reports that weight loss surgery can put diabetes into remission beating out the best available medications at controlling blood sugar.

Is this good news for type 2s? If you qualified for this surgery (for overweight and moderately obese with type 2) would you go for it? Why or why not?

Haylen

Full article here:
Weight Loss Surgery Puts Diabetes Into Remission
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Yes. In fact, I started going through the process recently to have a gastric sleeve procedure. Unfortunately, our health insurance plan does not cover any type of weight loss surgery. I will be continuing to try to lose weight and control my diabetes using conventional methods. Two years ago I opted out of Medicare and we chose for the whole family to go through my wife's company's group health plan. I plan to change to Medicare for 2013 which does cover the gastric sleeve surgery and will probably have the surgery sometime early next year.

I've been obese all my life and have tried all conventional methods with no real lasting success. At 55 years old, it is time to take this step in an effort to get healthy. I've done all the research and feel this is the best path for me to take. The surgery is just a tool to help accomplish a goal.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

davedsel57 replied to davedsel57's response:
Now if we could just find the right tool to eliminate the pop-up survey, life would be great.

Blessings,

Dave

brunosbud responded:
No.

Type 2 Diabetes is a highly personalized cry for help from our body. That we are causing great harm to ourselves and we must cease and desist.

The surgery (or a pill) is a muffle. Its like telling your body to shut-up and be quiet..."I know what I'm doing."

Go ahead. Have the surgery. See what happens...Your body knows what its doing, too.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
LOL Dave...

It sounds like you have the right attitude to approach this surgery. I have a friend who has lost just over 100 lbs after the sleeve procedure. She was in an intense program through Kaiser that involved pre-surgery weight loss, nutritionist, physical therapist and counseling. She's doing great - her only hurdle now is surgery to get rid of the excess skin!

Haylen

laura2gemini2 responded:
I had the sleeve procedure to help with my diabetes, but I knew that I would never be in remission because I have type 1 and also had the insulin insensitivity of a type 2. I also had it done because I was hypertensive, and I have a problem with cartillage formation so my joints are really bad off. I am still seeing a therapist and my surgeon every month, and I'm over a year past surgery.

I think surgery is a good option for those who understand how hard it is, and how much you have to change. I still am going through classes on modified diet in relation to using insulin. I still have to face the scale at my surgeons office and be held accountable for what it says. But I am very happy I did it because now I feel like I'm really living instead of just existing.

nutrijoy replied to davedsel57's response:
The widespread enthusiasm over the miraculous reversal of diabetes after bariatric surgery may be overly optimistic, a study found. Of the 200 people studied, only 41% of gastric bypass patients and 7% of gastric banding patients achieved diabetes remission based on a strict definition of the term. Diabetes remission was defined as normal blood glucose levels without the use of diabetes medications a minimum of one year after surgery. Researchers suggested that perhaps the emphasis should be shifted from diabetes remission to simply improvements in blood glucose control which remain impressive. (British Journal of Surgery, January 2012).

Just an update so that you are more aware of the cost-risk-benefit ratio.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to nutrijoy's response:
Interesting...thanks for posting NutriJoy!

An_244753 responded:
Aww, HELL YES !!

davedsel57 replied to An_244753's response:
An_244753, please see my reply to TucsonCindy.

Blessings,

Dave

witsend20 responded:
Absolutely. If this disease is a manifestation of weight and/or morbid obesity, I would definitely do it, but only if all my own personal efforts have been tried and have proven to not be enough. I would love to be able to get the surgery, but unfortunately those who have no insurance, will die of whatever comes down the road.

roses0304 responded:
Yes in a heartbeat, but because i can not get health insurance it cant happen and i can'nt afford the cost anyway, but i would if possible,

Mvalbaon responded:
I've had the surgery n weight loss and no more diabetes

mhall6252 replied to Mvalbaon's response:
That is awesome, Mvalboan!

I've done the weight loss thing but I still have diabetes. I would have the surgery if it is proven that there is something about the surgical procedure that results in the "cure" or remission or whatever you want to call it. I believe the reason it works is still a mystery, and that it's more than just the weight loss.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Aggie60 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My cousin had gastric bypass and became so ill that she had to be readmitted to the hospital twice. After a couple of years, she regained all the weight she had lost. The side effects after the surgery include depression, malnutrition, cognitive problems and an increased risk of suicide.

These drastic treatments are as much about society's hatred of fat people as they are about medicine. No matter how many times studies show that the "overweight" actually live longer than thinner folks, and that aging is really the number 1 risk factor for most ailments, fat is still blamed for almost every disease and wieght loss is the magic cure-all.

Here is more on bariatric surgery: Bariatric Surgery: The Most Life-altering Decision You Will Ever Make http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/01/junkfood-science-weekend-special.html

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.