Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sugar Levels
weslaco45 posted:
I have just been diagnosed with Type2 and now take metforman. What should my sugar level be?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Standard blood glucose levels are:

Fasting (10-12 hours without food): 70-100 is ideal, some feel 130 or under is acceptable.

2 hours after a meal: 140 or under is ideal, some feel 180 or under is acceptable.

Metformin takes a few weeks to become effective. Any medication work best while you are following a healthy diet comprised of lean proteins, vegetables, low-fat dairy products and whole grains. Make sure you are taking your blood glucose readings daily and contact your doctor if you still can not control your number.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

nutrijoy responded:
Wes, the metformin you are taking will not, in and of itself, result in the blood sugar levels that Dave mentioned. It requires lifestyle modifications in both your diet and activity (exercise) levels and over-reliance on the medication alone may yield disappointing results.

Here's my take on blood glucose targets and ranges:
Fasting (upon arising): 70-85 is normal; up to 100 is acceptable. Glycation damage will accelerate at any level above 100 (glycation is a form of accelerated aging that affects one's skin, eyes, nervous system, blood vessel walls, and internal organs).

Post-Prandial (2 hours after a meal): 82-85 is normal; up to 120 is acceptable. Anything above that will accelerate glycation damage.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.