Skip to content
lantus
An_244445 posted:
My mother 64 years old, (and my son 7years) are diabetic. My son now has the Omni Pod pump, which we are very pleased with. My mother wont consider a pump, too set in her ways. She has had 100's of lows in her lifetime, some being life threatening. Last week she was on life support, agian, but made it thru. Her sugar this time was 1200. My son was on lantus for a short time and never really understood it use. I know it is a long lasting and should be taken at the same time before bed to stabalize blood sugar while sleeping. Most of my mothers lows are in the morning and wonder if she needs lantus, and of course think she is taking too much. Do you have to take Lantus in addition to Novalog? And if so can u take it in the morning because her blood sugar drops when taking it. Just wondered if anyone else has had problems with Lantus, for everything I have read, it works well for them. I live out of town from her and haven"t talked with her doctor yet, just wondered what anyone thought. She has made it thru alot of critical conditions, but don't want her to use us her nine lives. Thanks for any comments.

nutrijoy responded:
An_244445, this pdf file should provide you with a better understanding on the use of Lantus, a long acting basal insulin. In contrast, Novolog is a bolus type insulin and is used to metabolize meal time carbohydrates. Your mother needs to learn how much a single unit of insulin lowers her blood sugar levels and how much a single gram of carbohydrate raises it. She must then keep track of the number of carbs in her meals and inject an appropriate number of units of Novolog to offset the carbs ingested (it's a relatively simple balancing procedure). These three free chapters from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book may be helpful to your Mom and perhaps help her avoid excessive highs and lows in her BG control efforts:
Chapter7.pdf (The Laws of Small Numbers) 05-Aug-2009 304K
Chapter9.pdf (Basic Food Groups; What You Need To Know About Diet) 05-Aug-2009 603K
Chapter10.pdf (Essential Diet Guidelines) 05-Aug-2009 1.2M

Doesn't your Mom check her BG level using a meter at bedtime every night?

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.