Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stress & type 2
jlvideo posted:
How much can stress affect your diabetes? I have been feeling like this for a few months and i am probably not the only one here. But i am monitoring my blood sugrs and sometimes with our family issues i have had my blood sugars up due to family issues. My doctor said to avoid such things,just walk away and you feel better. Is that true. Thanks

nutrijoy responded:
Stress will definitely cause blood sugar levels to rise. Rather than go into a lengthy explanation here, just check out these two online articles for all the details you may need:
Stress and Diabetes (MedicineNet.com)
How Stress Affects Blood Sugar (Diabetes Information Library)

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

As usual, Nutrijoy gave you some great info.

I think your doctor should have taken his sentence one step further and added, don't just walk away but take a walk too. Exercise helps our bodies cope with stress and for those of us with T2 will often help your body maintain better blood glucose too.

Walking is my go to exercise. Other than good shoes and socks, I don't need any special equipment, I can tailor the distance to fit my schedule and I can take someone with me if I want.
accelerate out of the corners

phototaker responded:
Yes, stress does play into making your numbers higher. Also, some people do emotional eating when stressed.

Other people's idea about exercise is excellent. I try to do 50 min. to an hour of exercise 6 days a week. You could do short walks every day, as other posters suggested, or any other exercise. I do UJam dancing and swimming. There's a hot tub at the gym, so I go in there once a week. It's very relaxing. You could take a lukewarm bath and just soak. Put on some soft music.

Another way I relax when stressed is to take deep long breaths in and out. I learned this at Kaiser in a relaxation class. I do this also with the children at school when they are hyperactive. This calms us "all" down. You take in a breath, breathing in slowly, hold it for four seconds, and then "slowly" breathe it out. I saw this on Dr. Oz recently. He did this with the whole audience. You do it about 3 to 4 times. You'd be amazed on how it calms your whole body down. I also do this when getting shots(cortisone), or any medical procedure I might be anxious about. It works great!

Exercise works great for your body stress reliever!!!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.