Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
When sick with a cold or flu AND diabetic
PammyToo posted:
What are the does and don't when you are diabetic type 2 and sick with a cold or flu? What should we NOT take or take when you have a fever or other issues?

dianer01 responded:
You may want to have this discussion with your doctor but you should watch out for anything in syrup or cough drops which may be high in sugar. These can raise your blood glucose.

My doctor commented on my taking a decongestant as it can raise your blood pressure. My blood pressure is well controled with medication and apparently many decongestants can affect blood pressure.

If you are ill, especially if you are vomiting or running a fever you may want to check your blood glucose more frequently so you may react or seek medical attention if it changes dramatically.
accelerate out of the corners

mhall6252 responded:
So much depends on whatever other health issues you have. I don't have a blood pressure problem. So when I have a cold with a cough, I look for guaifenisin capsules and a decongestant or allergy med like Benadryl. I stay away from Sudafed and similar products because they keep me awake. I avoid liquid cough medicines because the capsule or gel tabs don't have the sugar that regular cough syrups have. I also stay away from combo drugs because there's usually something in it that I don't need or want.

Bottom line, drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, and discuss with your doctor how best to treat your symptoms.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE responded:
Hi,

In addition to the great comments already posted I want to emphasize that when one is ill the effect on the blood glucose is often for it to be higher than usual. This means that even if you are nauseated and/or vomiting, you must check your blood glucose and take your medications. This is critical for people with type 1 diabetes and also very important for those with type 2, who may be able to "last" a little longer than their type 1 counterparts, but who'll eventually become very ill with high blood glucose as well if unable to keep themselves hydrated and take their glucose lowering medications. Please test often and call your health care provider if your glucose is consistently elevated. Attempt to take the equivalent of a teaspoonful of liquid every 5 minutes while awake to stay hydrated. If you are vomiting wait 2 hours after an episode then try the sip every 5 minutes routine to regain hydration. There are over the counter medications that will help nausea; ask your pharmacist for help and put your selection in your "sick day box" so you have it when you need it. Considerations for choosing these medications would be allergies and conflicts with your other medications.

A "sick day box" is a box that is in your house and ready to go for when you are ill. It contains medications that might help when you are ill, such as a sugar-free cough medication, anti-nausea medications, decongestants that are safe for you (such as a decongestant that is safe even if you have high blood pressure), and foods that you can eat to maintain hydration and nutrition without eating heavy meals. Some examples are Jell-O, juice boxes, broth, puddings, and ginger ale or other soda of choice. These ingredients should be a mixture of sugar-free and a few full sugar options so that you can eat what's needed to address your blood glucose at any given time. You should talk with your health care provider about things that he or she suggests for your individual box. For example for some of my patients their box includes short-acting insulin to use to control their blood glucose when ill. They have a written sliding scale to use to "cover" a high blood glucose when they are ill and have been taught how to inject before they ever need to do this. Being ill is a challenge for all of us, but this can be especially true for those living with diabetes. Planning ahead can help you to meet this challenge successfully! Laurie

DoloresTeresa replied to Laurie Anderson, MSN, RNP, CDOE's response:
Does anyone know why blood sugar rises during an illness? I can always tell I am coming down with something. My blood sugar lets me know before I have symptoms. The only thing I can come up with is maybe during and a little before an illness you would not feel like exercising as usual but I think it must be something more than that.

Dolores

laura2gemini2 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Illness is considered stress to your body. Any kind of stress causes an increase in adrenaline and that makes your liver dump out more sugar. It's like the "fight or flight" response, your body is trying to prepare itself to fight off whatever is making you sick.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.