Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low Fat Vegan
flip12 posted:
I started Dr. B's Reverse Diabetes Now 3 weeks ago. I have had some of the 'no nos' but basically keep coming back to the diet. When first started, I felt immediate 'good feeling'. It felt right. I have had feeling my middle is reducing in size and have lost 6 lbs. I have tested some of the things not on diet. I've had increased allergy responses to dairy, sugar puts me to sleep...tiny bit of pork and chicken no response.
Today is a new day ... so I commit again to this plan as a way of life. I am not hungry, food is delicious. Draw back, most everyone have negative attitude so it's best not to discuss until can show new numbers 2) husband eats candy and ice cream, etc but not vegan 3) have lots of week long visitors so have to think about their food

This way of eating/living may not be for everyone but for some it really does improve daily life.
Just had blood work done so will see what improvements in 3 months!

flutetooter responded:
Who is Dr. B?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

DavidHueben replied to flutetooter's response:
Neil Barnard.
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

- Winston S. Churchill

DoloresTeresa responded:
Flip, I am on a very low fat, higher carb diet (no processed or refined foods) and think Barnard, Esselstyn and McDougall have the answers to controlling blood sugar. I have been diabetic for 20 years and am not on meds. This morning my blood sugar was 79. I am still 30 to 50 pounds from the weight I would like to be and still my sugars are low. Don't forget exercise. It is the elixir of life. You might want to take a look at drmcdougall.com

Dolores

flip12 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Delores, Thank you for your experience. I have had 5 days of family who are high fat, high everything so I made it a day or two but finally joined them. Am now back to day one but feel great to be back and know this is where I need to be. Maybe the '5 day away' was just what was needed to remember how one feels with all the heavy feeling of high fat/protein diet.
I was particularly interested to hear about your BS readings and other info you shared. Very helpful to know will not be a failure if BS is in line but weight not where we all hope it will be.
I did check out drmcdougall.com and did order his new book to be released in May. Thanks for the tip!
Well now I'm ready to start again...any thoughts and hints will always be welcome.

DoloresTeresa replied to flip12's response:
Flip, for myself, I prefer the Maximum Weight Loss Plan of McDougall which is basically lots of green leafy vegetables cooked and raw and lots of other vegetables and beans (which McDougall counts as a starch). This is a lot like Joel Fuhrman's way of eating in his book, "Eat To Live". However I do add a sweet potato or corn or rice or other whole food starch to this. It costs money to go on Fuhrman's discussion group so I avoid that, although the blogs on his web site are free and you might also want to check them out. Click on the word blog at the top of his homepage. I think they are under the title Disease Proof. I wish you abundant good health.

Dolores

Delores, Thanks so much. BS went up with last visitors...next ones arrive on Sat. Hopefully by then I will be stronger and will have meal plans in order. My husband is quite ill thus the out of town visitors for 4 days-17 days. Lots of stress. But thanks to you I feel confident to make it this time. Your suggestion to check out drmcdougall.com was just great as it gives so much more information plus recipes and testimonials which provide guidance. Last time I was adding nuts and sneaking in small amts of cheese then eventually the other things. Think I am on focus this time and armed with diverse recipes along the Max WL plan. I'll try to post next week with an update. Thanks again...Flip

DoloresTeresa replied to flip12's response:
Flip, if you go onto vegsource.com you will find a short video of Jeff Novicks DVD on cooking healthy fast food. He uses frozen vegies which he microwaves and some kind of instant rice or other starch and fresh fruit. I mention this because although you can't refuse to feed your houseguests the rich food they might be expecting, it is easy to have a piece of fresh fruit or something like frozen berries and a bag of frozen broccoli and maybe a small potato etc for yourself. Nothing fancy but it is fast and you will be eating healthfully while at the same time indulging your guests. When I go to my daughter's I always bring my own food. (I wouldn't do this with strangers but it is ok with my family.)

Dolores

Delores, I did check out vegsource.com and found informative. Thanks. I feel much stronger this go around so am sure will be able to make it this weekend when next round of guests arrive and the out to dinner birthday celebration on Sunday evening. My husband even admitted 'that looks good. I may try that.' Progress being made. I did read the forums on McDougall site which are very helpful in understanding the big picture. I know this is the right WOE for me. Thanks again, Lila

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.