Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 1 and carbohydrates
bdanson posted:
I am a type 1 diabetic for 46 years and on pump for last 4. My last A1c in Dec 2011 was 5.9. I am trying to find out what is normal carbohydrate count for a day. I am 6'1 180 male. I also suffer from MS so exercise is difficult..

mrscora01 responded:
There is no "normal" amount. There is what you want to eat and can get away with based on blood sugar levels, your weight, and what you can live with. I always ate moderate carb (about 100 g per day give or take) but I am a small woman and any more and I would get fat. I was happy at that level. My weight was stable, I was satisfied with what I was eating, and my blood sugars were good and easy enough to control.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

nutrijoy responded:
I am a type 1.5 and like type 1's, am insulin-dependent. Over the years, through trial and experimentation, I find I get the best results by keeping my carbs to 20 or less per meal. I am currently on a trial diet of all-grains exclusion and so far, the results are encouraging but too early to draw conclusions that would be accurate. My current A1c is 5.0 but based on my finger prick tests, may go lower on my next test.

bdanson replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks for reply. I read all lable's on food packages. I average any wear between 200 and 300 carbs a day. Iv been type 1 for 46 years anshas seen alot of changes over the years. My last A1c was 5.9 in late Dec 2011. Ialso suffer from MS so exercise is diffcult. My BG do jump up and down during day. Have a good day.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to bdanson's response:
Hi bdanson -

We also have an MS Community with an expert here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis-exchange

You might be able to find additional information about MS and exercise there!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.