Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help quit drinking soda
pmbyke posted:
new dx type 2, trying to quit drinking too much soda. tried everything without results. need to quit.

flutetooter responded:
When you really want to quit, you will. Diet sodas have been proven to cause you to drink even more, because of an added ingredient put into them by the manufacturer to help sell more diet sodas. The same is particially true of "diet foods" and "no sugar added" foods, which can contain as many or more calories and/or carbohydrates than the regular comparable non-diet item.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

As Flute said, when you really want to quit, you will. I rarely drink pop anymore (we call 'soda' 'pop' in WNY). When in a restaurant, I will usually order unsweetened ice tea or just have ice water for a cold beverage. Now, if I had to give up coffee that would be a disaster for me, but I could do that as well.

Some people find it easier to simply quit something cold turkey, while others like to tape off slowly. You can do it - choose a method that will work and just do it.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

phototaker responded:
I'm not sure if this is an answer for you, as what I drink now still gives me cravings, but I gave up diet cola sodas, because they rob my bones of calcium. That's been proven.

What I'm drinking now is Diet Snapple. It's pretty expensive, (I get mine at Costco or Safeway), "but" I find I stopped drinking Diet Coke, except once in a while if I'm out with a friend. I used to drink only water and decaf coffee.

Again, the Diet Snapple does cause cravings, but if you can handle that, it's a thought. I get the Red Raspberry or Trop a Rocka flavor that Brett Michaels put together on "The Apprentice" show. He's type I diabetic.

If you want to wean yourself off, find something else you enjoy drinking.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave,

I'm with you on the coffee!

I've switched to sparkling water with a spash of juice. It seems to do the trick. Super cold is how I like it...

H

betatoo replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I love my coffee, but in the summer time opt for water with lemon as my drink of preference. Breakfast will always be coffee though. I drink decaf in the cold months in the evenings.

Quitting anything is a matter of determination in the face of self preservation when it comes to your health. Your health is at risk if you are drinking regular soda. If drinking diet you need to consider several things-1) Why do they have to sweeten it 2) Why does it contain chemicals for water retention(sodium), and a diuretic(caffeine)? 3) What are the overall effects of this chemical mix on your system?

brunosbud responded:
I won't insult you by reciting stuff you can google and learn yourself, in less than 60 seconds. In the time it took you to post this question, you can learn for yourself exactly why soda is causing such harm to your body. Regular and Diet Soda are both hazardous.

If you know this already, don't beat yourself up. Change is not an event, its a process. The better you understand the process, the faster the change. The more you delay the process through rationalization, procrastination and denial, the slower the change.

Yes, you need to quit...

Just realize, that you are...

GaelicSkye responded:
Dr. Oz had a segment on how to quit drinking sodas several months ago. It helped my son to stop drinking sodas. He says that the reason it is hard to quit is because you are addicted to the caffeine in the sodas. As best as I can remember, this is the plan that he suggested using (check his website for more info) : The first week you change to drinking diet sodas. The 2nd week you change to drinking half caffeine-free sodas and half sodas with caffeine. The 3rd week you drink only caffeine free sodas. The next week, you stop drinking the sodas completely, and you replace them with a mixture of half fruit juice mixed with a carbonated water such as soda water. It took my son longer than 3 weeks, but he made it. I hope this helps you ! Good luck !

adaptomom responded:
When I was first diagnosed in August 2010, giving up pop was my biggest challenge. I drank a lot--a LOT--of pop! I eliminated one pop a day, rather than go cold turkey, replacing it with water. I tried diet pop but decided I would rather drink water than deal with the taste/aftertaste and negative effects of diet pop on my health. After about six months of no pop at all I decided to allow myself--only occasionally, not at all every day--one exchange of regular pop, which means a lot of ice and not much pop at all. I find that I do not often want to waste a carb exchange on pop when water or coffee is available for no carbs. It takes time, but it's worth it. I lost 50 lbs total (consults with a dietician/nutrition education helped tremendously) over 8 months limiting carbs to 45-60 grams a meal and 15-30 grams a snack twice a day. That being said, whatever method works best for you is the best...it's really an individual choice as to what works best. Good luck, you can do it!

brunosbud responded:
"Discipline is remembering what you want." David Campbell

You know what you want. Just "remember".

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.